Thoughts on Sybil? Dated or fresh?

Hello all :slight_smile:

What do you think of [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]? Is it dated or fresh? Also which nickname do you prefer? Sybbie or [name_u]Billie[/name_u]? Sybil Mary or Mary Sybil?

Thank you!

Anyone? :slight_smile:

I don’t like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], its a bit old lady and dated.

What about [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] or [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], very similar to [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] but prettier and less dated.

Or,
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Celine[/name_f]

I don’t really like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] either. To me it’s at that awkward stage when it’s too dated to use, but not dated enough to deserve a new coming. But the nickname [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is cute.

I really like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] and think it sounds very fresh and ready for a resurgence. I much prefer the full name or Sybbie to [name_u]Billie[/name_u].

Thank you all!! :slight_smile:

Anyone else?

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] would be my preference of the two, but like the others I’m not too keen on it either. All I can think of is the wife in Fawlty [name_m]Towers[/name_m].

I love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]! My husband and I are considering it for a girl. We like the nickname [name_f]Sibby[/name_f] : )

Dated name for a kid, but adorable on a cat

I like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]! I think it’s fresh–I don’t know a single person named [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. I love both nicknames, but I think I prefer Sybbie. I prefer [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]! It sounds fresh to me, I think it would be darling to meet a baby [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. It’s on my list, with the preferred nickname of [name_u]Billie[/name_u]. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] flows a bit better on my opinion, but I love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] enough to put it in the first spot regardless.

I think some people may see it as dated, but I think it is ready for a comeback. Personally I prefer the [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] spelling, but bother are pretty. I like both Sybbie/[name_f]Sibbie[/name_f] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u] as nns, but I prefer Sybbie/[name_f]Sibbie[/name_f]. I prefer the combo [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]/[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but both ways are lovely!

I think [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] is awesome, and I know of a young artist couple in NYC who just named their daughter [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. I find it really fun to say. I’m not a nicknamer but I’d also pick the natural “Sybbie” over [name_u]Billie[/name_u].

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] is fresh. It was never a popular enough name to have any real connection to a time period. Honestly, [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] and [name_f]Esther[/name_f] are trendy again. [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] is fresher than [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], imo. [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] is a short name, it doesn’t need a nn. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] is lovely, but I’d probably do [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f].

When I hear [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] I think of the woman with 16 different personalites, and the book and movie about her… [name_u]Billie[/name_u] might be cute though.

I am not a fan of the name. it makes me think of [name_f]Sybill[/name_f] Trelawney. The cooky, strange, Divination professor at Hogwarts. It is kind of dated and odd.

Have you considered [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f]? I slightly prefer it

This, exactly! [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] were too old lady to use just a few short years ago. Now they’re very much in. I say go for it. Not to lean too heavily on pop culture, but [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Crawley definitely gives it more credibility in 2015. It’s absolutely a lovely choice on its own merits, though.

And hey, two words for the naysayers: [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Ludington. Can there possibly exist a more awesome namesake for a baby [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] today?? I think not!

I like the idea of [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] more than the name itself, something about the -bil sound turns me off a little.

I read a book over the weekend (The Forgotten Beasts of the Eld by [name_f]Patricia[/name_f] A. McKillip) where the main character was called [name_f]Sybel[/name_f] and I once met a woman named [name_f]Sibel[/name_f], I like both of those versions better. [name_f]Sibel[/name_f] is Turkish, [name_f]Sybel[/name_f] is invented I think…
I had [name_f]Cybele[/name_f] on my lists about 5 years back, but ended up removing her due to pronunciation problems and something about the history, probably the way in which the goddess was worshipped made me doubt its usability.

I like Sybbie more than [name_u]Billie[/name_u], I think the latter diminishes [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] somewhat. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] sounds like a double-first. I like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but I think something more fun would better emphasise the good things about [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. If you are worried about datedness, [name_f]Mary[/name_f] does very little to help people see it as fresh. Something like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Jolie[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Ondine[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] or [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]? [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]?

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u]!