Thoughts on Sydney?

I’m wonder what my fellow berries thinking of the name [name]Sydney[/name]. If you could tell me why you like or dislike it that would be great. If you know any [name]Sydney[/name]'s what are they like personality wise? If you don’t know any [name]Sydney[/name]'s, what do you picture a [name]Sydney[/name] to be.

Are there any names similar to [name]Sydney[/name] that you like?

Thanks

I don’t know any Sydneys. I know a boy [name]Sidney[/name], he is quiet and bookish. That’s actually how I picture a boy [name]Sidney[/name]. A girl [name]Sydney[/name], I imagine more outgoing and maybe a little eccentric, smart and popular.

It reminds me of [name]Courtney[/name], [name]Lindsey[/name], [name]Sidonie[/name], [name]Cindy[/name], and [name]Signy[/name].

I love it! Unfortunately I live in the city of [name]Sydney[/name], otherwise I would have done my best to convince my DH to use it for my daughter. I imagine little [name]Sid[/name] as a bright and chirpy girl and adult [name]Sydney[/name] as a sassy, elegant, confident woman.

I first think of [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Crosby[/name]… rugged hockey player riddled with concussions. Next I think of [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Nova[/name] [name]Scotia[/name] -rugged & beautiful, full of fiddlers and bagpipers (stereotypes, I know) and next [name]Sydney[/name], Australia -beautiful with all it’s coves and inlets and bays, the opera house, koalas, kangaroos (yes, more stereotypes). The name [name]Sydney[/name] has a lot of associations with it and different people are going to think of different things. However, since [name]Crosby[/name] is such a famous athlete and since [name]Sydney[/name] Australia is such a famous place, everyone is going to have an association of one kind or another.

I think [name]Crosby[/name] too…great hockey player. I’m from [name]Canada[/name] so yes on the [name]Nova[/name] [name]Scotia[/name] thing.

[name]Sydney[/name] screams 90s and early 2000s to me, because I know so many that were born in that bracket.

[name]Sylvie[/name] is a better alternative to me.

[name]Sydney[/name]'s an okay name, I don’t know many [name]Sydney[/name]'s these days unless they’re a kid from the 90’s.

My husband chose this name ([name]Sydney[/name] [name]Paige[/name])for our oldest daughter (now 5). I was very hesitant as it was a trending name at the time and my dh is an avid hockey fan and I hated the association with [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Crosby[/name]. But I liked the way it looked on paper1` - guess I’m wired that way! I also didn’t want a name that was super feminine either. It definitely suits her! She’s a firecracker - sporty, spunky, curious, tomboyish, energetic, easygoing, and creative - all characteristics the name made me think of!

My good friend has a 5-year-old named [name]Sydney[/name]. She is very girly and sweet but also quite rough and tumble. She talks nonstop :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Sydney[/name]…it’s sweet and spunky, but will age well too.
I know one [name]Sydney[/name] ([name]Sydney[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]) and she’s about 7. She’s very smart, cute and active.

If you like [name]Sydney[/name], you might also like: [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name]/[name]Sylvie[/name], [name]Shelby[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Jamie[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Bethany[/name], [name]Chelsea[/name], [name]Morgan[/name]…

I love [name]Sidney[/name] on a boy! It feels a bit dated on a girl. It reminds me of the Scream movies.

I know a [name]Sydney[/name] who is awesome though. She was a fashion assistant at a magazine I interned at while in school. She was adorable & could pull off some crazy outfits!

The name also reminds me of [name]Cindy[/name].

I know a [name]Sydney[/name], she’s 13 years old, popular and athletic. She’s also kind of boy crazy and hyperactive-crazy in general, so thats what I think of. I personally like the name.

So the general census is positive. Thanks. It’s just a name from a long list of names I’m considering for this character I’m working on. Thanks for a alternate suggestions too. I like [name]Shelby[/name] as well.

This name feels dated to me. I usually like place names and unisex names but this one has been used to death. In my home town atleast, it was super popular for kids born in the 90s. My little sister had three graduate with her last year in a class of less than 150.

I like [name]Sydney[/name]! It would be on my girl list if it didn’t clash with my last name. I think of [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Bristow[/name], the main character in the tv show Alias. She was smart, confident, and kicked butt. I actually met a baby [name]Sydney[/name] (6ish months old) recently.

I know one who’s five.

She’s cute and very girly actually, not a tomboy despite her androgynous name. She was named after a grandfather [name]Sidney[/name].

It’s not my style, but that’s probably a good thing as now I live in [name]Sydney[/name], Australia, and that would just be weird.

I personally love the name [name]Sydney[/name] ! I don’t know anybody named [name]Sydney[/name] in real life, but my first impression is [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Bristow[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Garner[/name]'s character on Alias, and she is a wonderful character . I agree with everything @emmy67 said about [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Bristow[/name]!
I would imagine a [name]Sydney[/name] to be quiet, but very smart and sweet.

Thanks. I agree it may be a little dated, but I’d be using it for a character in her late 20’s…so it wouldn’t be too dated.