Thoughts on Tamsin?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all! We are thinking about [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] as a possible first name.

We’ve read online about difficulties with pronunciation and teacher recognition/ability to pronounce.

Does anyone have this name or know someone who has this name? What are your thoughts?

Also, are there any other names you can suggest that are similar to [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] - short, feminine, unique yet classic, easy to say/spell/recognize

I like [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]. I met a girl with this name when I was younger. I have it on my list spelled [name_f]Tamsyn[/name_f].

Some other suggestions:
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f], it’s on my list too. I don’t know anyone with the name so can’t say anything about the pronunciation/recognition issues for sure, but so far there haven’t been any problems whenever I’ve brought up the name.

I really don’t like [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]. It feels masculine and harsh. Names that are short, feminine, unique, and classic:

[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Corinne[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]

I think that [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] would be a lovely choice. I’ve always loved it.

I’m trying to think of similar names, classic but not fussy.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Brigid[/name_f] (or [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] if you don’t like the frigid comp.)
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] or [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] or [name_u]Rowen[/name_u] (I love all three, they are so familiar but not overly so.)
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u] or [name_u]Holland[/name_u]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] (I’m not sure why but I always pair [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] with [name_f]Clover[/name_f])

I love [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]! I have no idea why it isn’t more popular because it has a very refreshing sound. The name seems pretty straightforward pronunciation and spelling wise so I don’t know what trouble she would have there.

I knew a [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] when I went to a youth club around 8 years ago. She wore it well and I like it, it’s quirky.

[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]
[name_f]Kirsten[/name_f]
[name_f]Sian[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]
[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]

I knew a [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f], and there was an Australian Olympic runner named [name_f]Tamsyn[/name_f] Manou, so I’m familiar with the name appearing in the media too. I’m not aware of any pronunciation difficulties, it’s a pretty recognisable name at least where I’m from. I think it’s lovely even though it’s not a favourite for me.

I am a teacher and I would not have a problem with it :slight_smile: Nice choice!

I don’t think it’s hard to pronounce at all and while it doesn’t seem to be popular, it is recognizable.

Personally, I’m not a big fan, as I tend to prefer softer, more feminine names and would Nameberry not colour the names pink and blue (and yellow), I would have guessed it to be a unisex name.

I work with a woman named [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f].
I must admit that I’d never heard of it before I met her and I wasn’t even sure if it was a masculine or feminine name before I saw her in person.
Knowing her, it’s more attractive to me, but it’s still not a name I really love.

I don’t see the appeal

Thanks all!

We are rethinking and are now looking at these names, what are your favorites?

[name_f]Arielle[/name_f] / [name_f]Ariella[/name_f]
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Kendra[/name_f]
[name_u]Marlow[/name_u] (what us your favorite spelling)?

[name_u]Marlow[/name_u] and [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] are my favorites from your new list.

I like the simpler [name_u]Marlow[/name_u] spelling.

[name_f]Chloe[/name_f] is a classy and gorgeous name.

I like [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]. It’s a great name and wearable. I seriously can’t imagine that anyone would have a pronunciation issue, my goodness.

I really like [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] personally, I don’t think its hard to pronounce or masculine at all. I also like [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] and [name_f]Ariella[/name_f] from your list.

I can’t imagine pronunciation issues being too bad. It’s fairly straight forward.

Sinna perhaps? I know [name_m]Tommy[/name_m] is viable, as well. I don’t care for [name_f]Tammy[/name_f] but I also don’t feel like it needs a nickname.