Thoughts on the boys name Jacques

Thoughts on the boys name [name_m]Jacques[/name_m]?
I am not [name_u]French[/name_u] (have some really good [name_u]French[/name_u] friends though)
We would pronounce it like jax but we much prefer this spelling
[name_f]My[/name_f] grandmothers name is [name_f]Jacquline[/name_f] so I also think that it honers this very well
It would be pared with sister [name_u]Stevie[/name_u]

I think it’s an awesome honor name! It’s not my particular style, but I think it’s a lovely name for your son!

I like [name_m]Jacques[/name_m], but think there would be some confusion with the pronunciation. [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] is pronounced more like [name_u]Jack[/name_u] than Jax; the S at the end is silent. I would not use [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] if you are planning to call the baby [name_m]Jax[/name_m].

3 Likes

I agree with the previous poster, i would pronounce it like zh-ack (one syllable) if that makes sense, like [name_u]Jack[/name_u] with a [name_u]French[/name_u] accent. [name_m]Jax[/name_m] is a better spelling for that pronunciation

1 Like

Cool. I like it with sister [name_u]Stevie[/name_u]

[name_m]Jacques[/name_m] is pronounced zhahk, but you could always say “Jax” is his nickname if you wanted that spelling… I’d work on getting the pronunciation right though!

3 Likes

I think [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] (pronounced Zhock) or [name_m]Jax[/name_m] would be nice, but I wouldn’t recommend Jacques-pronounced-Jax.

I think [name_m]Jax[/name_m] is a very cool honor name for a [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]!

I think [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] is lovely a great honour for [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] however as @whammy & @mollysilvester said the name isn’t pronounced like [name_m]Jax[/name_m] therefore if you want the pronunciation [name_m]Jax[/name_m] I would go with [name_m]Jax[/name_m].

I think [name_u]Stevie[/name_u] & [name_m]Jax[/name_m] works would still be a subtle honour for your grandmother.

Thank you all for your responses!
I do love the spelling of [name_m]Jax[/name_m] but I did love [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] a little bit more
If I’m honest I got the name idea from watching love island and they all pronounced it [name_m]Jax[/name_m] so I’m a bit confused if they pronounced it wrong

Reminds me of the boy on love island

[name_f]My[/name_f] instinct would be to pronounce it zhahk (like others have said). If you want his name to be pronounced as [name_m]Jax[/name_m], then I think it makes more sense to just name him [name_m]Jax[/name_m].

[name_u]Stevie[/name_u] and [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] make a darling sibset! I would be prepared for a lot of mispronunciation, but it’s not that different. I had a friend “Ilya”, a guy, who always had his name pronounced “i-la” instead of “ill-e-uh” and called a girl. Although it was annoying, it also made a funny joke. I wouldn’t let that stop you from choosing [name_m]Jacques[/name_m]. It is also a beautiful way to honor great-grandma!!

Great sounding name, but reminds me of Jean-Jacques [name_u]Rousseau[/name_u] :-/ he was probably the same as many men at the time, but nonetheless sexist, so I wouldn’t use it. Still, there have likely been a many number of Jacques’ who represent the name better since then! It’s just, I’m not French/ know none! :grin: Otherwise it’s a lovely name.

I also wouldn’t use [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] if you want to name the baby [name_m]Jax[/name_m]! I’d definitely pronounce [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] proper the [name_u]French[/name_u] way, as something like “zjawk.”

For the [name_m]Jax[/name_m] pronunciation you prefer, maybe Jacks, [name_u]Jaxx[/name_u], Jaks, or Jaqs?

This would be my suggestion as well! I love [name_m]Jacques[/name_m], and think it goes well with [name_u]Stevie[/name_u]. But I would definitely pronounce it the [name_u]French[/name_u] way. [name_u]Stevie[/name_u] and Jacks would be adorable, both twists on old names. And I feel like Jacks could easily honour [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] still.

1 Like

I love the idea of Jaks and think either that or Jacks will be the winner
I love how [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] sounds but I think as we are not [name_u]French[/name_u] it would seem a bit weird to come out with [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] I guess a bit like Jean-Paul
Middle name is going to be [name_u]Michael[/name_u] regardless
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think Jaks could work as a full name instead of [name_m]Jax[/name_m] (which I don’t really like)

In [name_u]French[/name_u] it’s the equivalent of [name_u]James[/name_u], though [name_m]Jacques[/name_m] is more dated in [name_u]France[/name_u] than [name_u]James[/name_u] is in the UK or US. I would pronounce it French-style (zhahk) - it wouldn’t even occur to me to say “Jax”, but I don’t watch [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Island[/name_u].

I like the idea of Jacks to honor [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] but invite fewer pronunciation headaches. :raised_hands:

People are going to use the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation “zhock”, which is well known.

I absolutely LUV it!!!
If I didn’t love [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] so much, I would definitely consider using it myself.
It’s such a sweet way to honour your grandma!
Xx