Thoughts on the name Clara?

My Mother’s name is [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. While, yes, I do adore my mother and wish to name my child after her, I have never been a huge fan of the name. I would like to use the name (or a variation of such) as a middle name.

Does anyone have any first names to complement this middle name, or otherwise a variation of such. I’m a fan of more elegant of unique names.

Thank you so much.

What about [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] or Clarimonde?

[name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] is a nice variation of the name in my opinion

I personally absolutely adore the name [name_f]Clara[/name_f], but it’s definitely a tough one in the middle spot.

Let’s see…

With ‘[name_f]Clara[/name_f]’ as a MN
[name_f]Adaline[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Apolline[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Arianwen[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]

Variants on [name_f]Clara[/name_f] include [name_f]Clarinda[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f]/[name_f]Clarice[/name_f]. The advantage of using [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] is that it has that same [name_m]French[/name_m] type feel and ending that will sound good in the middle with many first names ending in -a or -ia. Same goes for [name_f]Claire[/name_f], since it’s a one-syllable name, it’s easier to match with longer first names. Then again, of course what you value matters most here, but I would say that perfect flow is not the be and end all if you’re naming a child.

Very classy

I’m not a fan of [name_f]Clara[/name_f], for some reason it makes me think of a cow. It’s a shame, because I know the loveliest woman named [name_f]Clara[/name_f]! [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Cara[/name_f] and [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] could honor a [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. Or, going by its meaning of “bright”, [name_f]Aine[/name_f], [name_f]Electra[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Niamh[/name_f], [name_f]Phaedra[/name_f] and [name_u]Robin[/name_u].

I’m personally not a fan of [name_f]Clara[/name_f], but I know a lot of people on Nameberry love it. If you don’t like it though, [name_f]Claire[/name_f] would probably be the most obvious alternative, as a PP suggested.

[name_f]Lara[/name_f] or [name_f]Cara[/name_f] would also work, they’re just like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] with one letter removed.

Or [name_f]Carla[/name_f] which is an anagram of [name_f]Clara[/name_f], but it feels a bit clunkier and doesn’t tend to be a favourite so you might not like that one.

Thank you so much for everyone’s help! I love my mother, and I do truly want to honor her, giving my daughter a similar name. This has provided me with so much help.

My BFFs second daughter is named [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. It’s grown on me a lot. I don’t love the “are” sound (prefer [name_u]Clare[/name_u]/[name_f]Claire[/name_f], which is the name of my half sister and a cousin so I’m used to it more) but now that I’m more used to [name_f]Clara[/name_f] I think it’s actually very lovely. It ages VERY well in my opinion.

I really like repetitive sounds across first and middle (or first and last) names, so I’d like names with either a hard C, L, or R sound in them… Hmm

What about [name_f]Clarice[/name_f]? :slight_smile: