Thoughts on the name Tessa

Hi All! I like the name [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] for our next baby if it is a girl. Brother’s name is [name_m]Matteo[/name_m]. We are half Italian / half American but I think we’ll use a name that is slightly less Italian for our second baby to balance out using an Italian name first.

Is [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] too dated, too nick-namey, or too childish?

I know we could use [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] but I am uncertain about that one too!

I also would be interested to hear any ideas for girls names that “work” in [name_f]Italy[/name_f] and the US. Though they are beautiful, I think we are going to avoid elaborate names like [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f], [name_f]Valentina[/name_f], [name_f]Serafina[/name_f], etc.

Thanks!

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is lovely! Between [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and [name_m]Matteo[/name_m], there are a lot of T sounds, but it doesn’t bother me!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], and I think it works perfectly for you. Definitely not too childish or nick-namey. I find [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] much more dated. [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] make a great pair!

[name_f]Carina[/name_f] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] come to mind for less elaborate Italian names.

1 Like

One of my friends is named [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], I think it’s fine!

Tessa is beautiful! Definitely not at all childish, nickname-y, or dated. There’s a lot of T going on with [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and [name_m]Matteo[/name_m], which I would personally try to avoid, but it’s not really an issue.

Others names that could work in Italian, but are on the more [name_f]English[/name_f] side:
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]

We have a [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] in the family and it really suits her, she’s in her mid-twenties and gorgeous. Not a massive fan of [name_f]Theresa[/name_f], I think [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is a great stand alone name! Not too fussy, I agree that some names can be a little OTT, it’s a great choice!

I’m Italian and never thought of [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] as Italian. [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] is awesome! There are a mouthful of T’s when you say [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] and [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] together, though. I love the suggestion of [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] sound like the most adorable children on earth!

Tessa is gorgeous! Warm and sweet

I love [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] for a girls name!

I went to work with a lady that had a granddaughter names [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and I think it fit her very well. So I think it’s very useable for a girl and I think it will age well.

Also it sounds great with [name_m]Matteo[/name_m]

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] definitely works as a full name. You could do [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] as a full name, but I don’t think it is necessary.

I love [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and do not think it’s too nicknamey. It’s also pairs very nicely with [name_m]Matteo[/name_m]!

I love [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]! It’s fresh, sweet, and very usable.

I love [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and I think it sounds great with [name_m]Matteo[/name_m]!

I love [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]. You could call her [name_f]Tessie[/name_f] which is a song strongly associated with the [name_m]Boston[/name_m] [name_u]Red[/name_u] Sox.

Sounds strong, confident, and sophisticated. I would associate it with an urban and contemporary vibe.

I love [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]! I don’t think it’s too dated, young, or nicknamey at all! [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] is great, too.

I think some Italian names which are lesser-obvious, like [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Liliana[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] (granted, it IS popular), [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f]/Giorgia etc., could work as they’re popular in multiple cultures? There’s also [name_f]Elisa[/name_f], which isn’t very popular (not sure if it’s Italian but I get the impression it is, and I think it could certainly work in [name_f]Italy[/name_f]?) in the US, but I think would work in both places? I really do like [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] though!

Tessa is lovely and pairs well with [name_m]Matteo[/name_m].

Thanks All - super helpful!

Agree that [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is not Italian, which was meant to balance out the definitely-Italian [name_m]Matteo[/name_m]. I think the shorter Italian / Italian-related names that are also used in the US could also serve this purpose, so thanks for suggesting some to think about! – [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Elisa[/name_f], [name_f]Giorgia[/name_f], etc.!

1 Like