Thoughts on the Name Thread

[name_u]Perry[/name_u] - Generally, I find this name more masculine, but I suppose it could work for a girl.
[name_u]Caraway[/name_u] - Really unique, but pretty-sounding – I think I like it!
[name_f]Elisabetta[/name_f] - Absolutely gorgeous!

[name_m]Moby[/name_m] - Sounds like ‘mopey’ and ‘dopey’ and a little too tied to [name_m]Moby[/name_m] [name_m]Dick[/name_m], I think.

[name_f]Polly[/name_f]?
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]?
[name_f]Sonya[/name_f]?

[name_f]Polly[/name_f]: to traditional and childish for me. I like it as a nickname but I think it’s a little too weak to stand by itself. It gives me flowery, pretty vibes.

[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]: lovely, steady name. It’s unique yet recognizable. It has such a soft sound and feel to it. I can seen it worn on a little kid and an old woman. It’s just perfect.

[name_f]Sonya[/name_f]: not my style. All I can picture is a cranky, middle aged woman, no idea why. To me it has such a clear image I can’t see it on anyone else. I get sunny, fresh, somewhat murky water vibes from this name.

[name_m]Calix[/name_m] (b)
[name_f]Simonetta[/name_f]
[name_u]Jem[/name_u] (g)

[name_m]Calix[/name_m]: I like it, but I’ve never heard of it before. I did go to school with a boy named [name_m]Calixte[/name_m]. [name_m]Calix[/name_m] is spunky and unusual. Like a more daring version of [name_m]Felix[/name_m] (which I love too).

[name_f]Simonetta[/name_f]: lovely name, much better female version of [name_m]Simon[/name_m] than [name_u]Simone[/name_u]. The -etta ending gives it more sophistication and opens up more possibilities for great nicknames.

[name_u]Jem[/name_u] (g): I’m not sure about this one. I like [name_u]Jem[/name_u] on a boy, but only as a nickname. On a girl it doesn’t sound quite right, and it may get confused with [name_f]Jen[/name_f]. It also sounds a bit unfinished as a name on its own.

I’d like your opinion on:

[name_m]Leonid[/name_m]
[name_f]Ariadna[/name_f]

[name_m]Leonid[/name_m]: Not sure how I feel about this name but it is different and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] is a cute nickname. It’s like a mix between [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] and [name_f]Enid[/name_f] to me.

[name_f]Ariadna[/name_f]: A very nice twist to [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] and a more unique version of [name_f]Ariana[/name_f]. It’s very fresh sounding but also has a timeless feel to it.

Opinions on:

[name_f]Theodosia[/name_f] (G)
Isolabella (G)

[name_f]Theodosia[/name_f] I love very much! I pronounce it with 5 syllables as I don’t particularly care for the “sha” sound in names. [name_f]Theodosia[/name_f] is grounded and distinguished, and yet so friendly and playful. Super cute.

Isolabella is too fancy for me. It has all of the pretty things in there, but it feels super laced up and fussy, a little too weighed down. But if you love it, that counts for more than my opinion!

Elisapie (ee-LISS-a-pee) & Elisabea (ee-LISS-a-bee) (both to the tune of [name_f]Felicity[/name_f])?

Elisapie (ee-LISS-a-pee): I’ve never heard this name before. It’s got such a unique sound to it, however, if I just say it without the pronunciation given I would have thought it was [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]-pie. I think that the pronunciations is going to be very confusing for people. It has a lovely meaning tho and I like that it’s a unique, unheard of alternative to the classic [name_f]Elisa[/name_f]/[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]. It’s honestly not my favorite. I prefer Elisabea.

Elisabea (ee-LISS-a-bee): this seems to flow better and not have a forceful sound.i love that it’s an alternative to the overused [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. And [name_f]Bee[/name_f] is such an adorable nickname. I do this the “liss” in this middle of the name is kinda forced. It would feel more natural to say Ee-[name_f]Liz[/name_f]-a-bee. Anyhow, I do really like this name. It’s very fantasy, princessy. I think Elisabea is more usable than Elisapie

[name_u]Sailor[/name_u] (g)
[name_m]Nilo[/name_m] (b) (pronounced like [name_m]Milo[/name_m] but with an N)

[name_u]Sailor[/name_u]- I’m not usually a fan of word names, but [name_u]Sailor[/name_u] sounds really cute and pretty, and with the amount of people with unique names I have no problem picturing an adult [name_u]Sailor[/name_u] with her name on important papers. Really pretty!
[name_m]Nilo[/name_m]- I really like the sound and the name itself, but worry that people will always pronounce it
Nee-lo. However, I think it is definitely useable!

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer [name_f]Roz[/name_f]-ah-lind or [name_f]Rose[/name_f]-ah-lind?

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - I really like this name and all variations of it like [name_f]Rosalina[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] etc
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is very fresh sounding but also has a nice classic vibe, plus there are lots of nickname options like [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_m]Rossi[/name_m], [name_f]Sally[/name_f], [name_f]Lindy[/name_f] etc so that’s always a good thing to have.
I definitely prefer the [name_f]Roz[/name_f]-ah-lind pronunciation but [name_f]Rose[/name_f]-ah-lind is just as nice :slight_smile:

[name_f]Alma[/name_f]?

1 Like

[name_f]Alma[/name_f]: [name_f]Alma[/name_f] is starting to grow on me. It’s a very calm, smooth name. It feels organic and green. I can see it on any type of girl. Not a huge fan of the potential nickname [name_f]Ally[/name_f] but it’s lovely nonetheless.

[name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] “[name_m]Archie[/name_m]”?

1 Like

[name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] is interesting but I think it would sound a bit pretentious, unless you come from a culture where it’s a normal name. If [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is the name you really like, I would recommend [name_m]Archer[/name_m]. I also think [name_m]Archie[/name_m] can stand on its own, especially with the most recent royal baby being named that.

[name_f]Amalia[/name_f] (girl)
[name_u]Blaise[/name_u] (boy)

[name_f]Amalia[/name_f] - think it is really sweet. I actually really like the spelling too.
[name_u]Blaise[/name_u] - I like how it sounds. It sounds fresh and modern. It would work well with a lot of middle names too.

[name_m]Everard[/name_m]?
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]?

1 Like

[name_m]Everard[/name_m]: such a strong name! It gives me Viking, warrior, tough guy vibes. I love it! Ev is such a cool nickname for a little boy. I do think it’s a tad hard to pronounce and I think I’m [name_u]America[/name_u] (where I live) it would be a guilty pleasure unfortunately.

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]: this is one of the few names I just don’t like. [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] is just too old man for me. I prefer [name_m]Edward[/name_m]. It’s a little more brighter and happy to me than [name_m]Edwin[/name_m].

[name_m]Leo[/name_m] (g)
[name_u]Clove[/name_u] (g)

[name_m]Leo[/name_m] (g) - having a hard time picturing as a girl, love it for a boy though
[name_u]Clove[/name_u] (g) - wonderful name!! sounds savory and spunky and sweet all at the same time, a little bit vintage and old fashioned but fresh and trendy as well.

[name_f]Alsie[/name_f] (g)??

I love [name_f]Alsie[/name_f]! I do prefer it spelled [name_f]Alcie[/name_f], but I think it’s so sweet and spunky! I can picture [name_f]Alsie[/name_f] as a [name_m]Salinger[/name_m] character. Very, very cute.

[name_u]Hali[/name_u]’a (hah-LEE-(glottal stop)AH)
[name_f]Juni[/name_f] (b)

[name_u]Hali[/name_u]’a- Beautiful, but likely not useable in many places unless you want to correct pronunciation all the time. Aside from that, it is light, ethereal and gorgeous.
[name_f]Juni[/name_f]- At first it looked like a [name_u]June[/name_u]/[name_f]Juno[/name_f]/[name_f]Junie[/name_f] girls’ name, but it definitely could work as a boys name. Cute on a little one, but could mature well!

[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] (g)
[name_u]Chelsea[/name_u] (g)

[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]: I really like this name. I love the sounds in it. I also really like the Greek connection, but it’s still easy to pronounce and is recogniable. I do think of the character [name_f]Callie[/name_f] (which is short for [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]) from [name_u]Grey[/name_u]’s Anatomy though, which for me isn’t a bad connotation.
[name_u]Chelsea[/name_u]: I’m pretty neutral on this name. I know a [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u] and she is the sweetest thing ever, but I would never name my child [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u]. I think it’s a safe and beautiful option

Seeker (b)
[name_m]Falconer[/name_m] (b)

1 Like

Seeker is interesting but I find it a bit hard to imagine it as a name. I’d probably get a little confused at first when meeting someone who says “hello, I’m Seeker”. I’d think he is looking for something and assume he’s lost his keys for example. [name_f]My[/name_f] next thought goes to a seeker in Quidditch, from the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] books, which is a cool association in my opinion. And finally, I also think of an asylum seeker.

I personally prefer [name_m]Falco[/name_m] or [name_u]Falcon[/name_u] but [name_m]Falconer[/name_m] is awesome as well! It’s a cool name with a clear and great imagery: obviously I immediately imagine a falconer with falcons!

Frederick?

1 Like

Frederick is strong & solid! I do think of Frederick by [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Lionni[/name_m], which is a wonderful association all around. I prefer just [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], but [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] is very nice!

Perlezenn (PEHR-leh-zenn)?

[name_f]Perlezenn[/name_f] is definitely unique! I love the sound of it but I’m not a huge fan of the look overall. It reminds me of Pearlescent but with a better sound. I’d definitely use it on a character, but I’m not so sure on a real child. Maybe a middle?

[name_u]Revere[/name_u]?

To me [name_u]Revere[/name_u] sounds interesting as a name but it seems a bit too literal. I do think it would make a cool and unexpected middle name.

[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]?