Thoughts on the Name Thread

I thought this would be a nice way of getting quick feedback on a name or two that you are contemplating adding to your list.

Post 1-2 names you want feed back on. The next poster will give their opinion and state what names they want feedback on.

Thoughts on the names:

• [name_u]Arden[/name_u] (for a girl)
  • [name_u]Embry[/name_u] (for a boy)

[name_u]Arden[/name_u] -intriguing and distinctive sounds, I like it. It has such pretty imagery while also sounding strong

[name_u]Embry[/name_u] - on one hand it feels a bit incomplete but i do enjoy the soft lively feel

[name_f]Suvi[/name_f]
[name_f]Katri[/name_f]

[name_f]Minette[/name_f]- it’s really cute and I can see it on both baby and elderly women

[name_m]Ferris[/name_m]- I adore this name! It is small and handsome and I would definitely use it!

[name_u]California[/name_u] (g)
[name_m]Cove[/name_m] (b)

[name_u]California[/name_u] - a little much, but [name_u]Cali[/name_u] would be cute
[name_m]Cove[/name_m] - somewhat edgy, yet evokes the imagery of a tranquil ocean view – I love it!

[name_u]Delaney[/name_u] (g)?
[name_u]Georgie[/name_u] (b or g)?

[name_u]Delaney[/name_u] - love the sing-songy cadence, and the “ee” sound at the end is bright and fresh and lively/ preppy. But the “ee” sound also makes it slightly dated (girl names ending in “ee” were very popular in the 80’s and 90’s - [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], [name_f]Mallory[/name_f], [name_u]Hillary[/name_u], [name_f]Brittany[/name_f], etc.). On the other, I love the nicknames [name_u]Del[/name_u] and [name_u]Laney[/name_u]. Very cool!

[name_u]Georgie[/name_u] (g) - One of my favorite names!!! My mother is named [name_f]Georgine[/name_f] and while she and most others hated it most of her whole life, it is suddenly “cool” now. My middle daughter is going to name her first daughter [name_f]Georgine[/name_f] and call her [name_u]Georgie[/name_u]. She also wants a sister for her named [name_f]Francine[/name_f] called [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] love love!! It is vintage/ hipster cool, cute and spunky.

[name_u]Georgie[/name_u] (b) - see above! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] for a boy. Classic but new. Smart yet simple. Distinguished yet not pretentious. [name_m]Just[/name_m] be sure he isn’t privileged, a mama’s boy or wimpy bc I think some may stereotype it as that.

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

Opinions on and differences between the two. Thanks!

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]- streamline, princess-y, suscint

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] - funky, classic, literary and lively

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] has a more lively spunky feel whereas [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is more buttoned up and down to earth. [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] has a kind of regal feel whereas [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is a little cheeky and sweet.

[name_m]Forrest[/name_m]
[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m]

[name_m]Forrest[/name_m]: I don’t mind [name_m]Forrest[/name_m]. It’s a nice, handsome name. All I can think of tho is [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] Gump tho which is why I’m not a huge fan of the name.

[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m]: I like this name as a middle name. I think it’s a little much for a first. It gives me strong, hardy vibes. My problem with it is the lack of nicknames for it.

Jemison “[name_u]Jem[/name_u]” for a girl? ([name_f]Mae[/name_f] Jemison was the first African American woman in space)

Oh wow I love Jemison! I especially love [name_f]Mae[/name_f] Jemison or Jemison [name_f]Mae[/name_f]!

Jemison feels authentic and vintage bc of the “[name_u]Jem[/name_u]” part, yet at the same time fits right in bc of the -son ending. [name_f]Jemimah[/name_f] + [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] is what brings to mind.
Also love the nn [name_u]Jem[/name_u].
Most important though I love the name as a tribute. [name_m]How[/name_m] badass is that?!?

Jemison - an authentic, vintage-y, stands out yet fits in, badass tribute name. I would pair it with a simple heritage name like [name_f]Mae[/name_f] or [name_f]Maud[/name_f] or [name_f]Lois[/name_f] or the likes to keep that flavor. Avoid trendy pairings, even “unique” trendy pairings.

[name_u]Clancy[/name_u] (g)
[name_u]Clancy[/name_u] (b)

Honestly, all I think of is [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] [name_u]Clancy[/name_u]. My only other association is a little boy called [name_u]Clancy[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m], CJ for short. He was a cute little kid, so that’s pretty positive. I’d immediately assume it was an old family surname. I don’t care for it much, but it’s definitely not awful. It’d do well with a three syllable, hyper masculine or feminine middle like [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], etc.

[name_f]Eluned[/name_f] (f) and [name_m]Kafka[/name_m] (m)?

both names would be unusual to see but

[name_f]Eluned[/name_f]: i would be surprised but not shocked with [name_f]Eluned[/name_f]. i see the appeal but wonder how it would go in english speaking countries, i know my accent doesn’t make it sound overly nice…

[name_m]Kafka[/name_m]: would raise my eyebrows intriguing me to know where he came from or what his history is! again unfortunately i wonder about english speaking as my accent doesn’t make it sound overly nice…

[name_u]Rio[/name_u] and [name_m]Espen[/name_m]
(both for girls)

I really like Rio! I had a little Rio in one of my classes and she was such a sweetie. Rio is a really calm name. Though I’m not sure I would use it, I love seeing others use it!
I’m not super into Espen, though. It feels way too close to ESPN to me, which sits a little funny and whispered. I definitely prefer the very similar Aspen, though if you prefer Espen, don’t let me sway you!

Thoughts on Pipitsa & Mowgli?

Pipitsa - To me this looks like a nickname from another language, and I’m not really sure how to pronounce it. I would be concerned about possible teasing because of the “pits” part.

Mowgli - I’ve never heard of anyone named Mowgli other than the fictional character. The sound doesn’t appeal to me personally.

Thoughts on Azalea (g) and Silas (b)?

Azalea is a pretty name and an equally pretty flower. I think it fits in with all the other popular flower names right now. However all I can think of is Iggy Azalea, the singer who I’m not really a fan of.

Silas: I adore Silas! It’s so handsome and makes me think of mountains, camping, outdoorsy things. It can fit any type of boy too which is perfect. Love this name!

Fletcher and Lulabelle?

Lulabelle is absolutely sweet and adorable. It is familiar yet not common. Vintage yet fresh. Lots of nickname potential if you like that sort of thing. It is very feminine but in a sweet, rural, farm girl kind of way. Not in an extravagant royal princess kind of way.

Fletcher makes a great brother to Lulabelle. It also has a rural, southern feel to it. Surname names are very trendy right now but this one is timeless and not overly used. The only thing that bothers me is the association with Chevy Chase movie “Fletch” and the word “fetch”.

(needs fn) Appleton Harmon? What are your thoughts on a boy with two mn of Appleton Harmon. These are ancestor names of mine/ my husbands and would love to know your thoughts and any fn suggestions.

I am all for family/honor names, so Appleton Harmon as a double mn gets two thumbs up from me! I might have been hesitant on Appleton as a fn, but I think it works perfectly well in the middle spot.
I’m not sure what your style is, so it’s hard to recommend first names. Maybe you want to open a thread in the boy names section and ask for fn suggestions with a few examples of names you like. Just a thought. :slight_smile:

Emerson (b)?
Rosina (g)?

Emerson for a boy is not quite my personal preference BUT, I do really like the literary association and certainly am not opposed to it. I think it’s soft but undoubtedly masculine.

Rosina for a girl is really beautiful. My great grandmother was Rosina and a common name in my Italian family. It is certainly an old name and would prefer ‘Rosa’ as it’s maybe slightly more modern.

Fleetwood (g)
Fitzroy (b)

Fleetwood - this is a bit too unusual for me, but I could see it working as a middle name. It does remind me a lot of Fleetwood Mac though.

Fitzroy - I can see it working as a first name, but it feels a bit stuffy.

Stephanie
Kelly (g)

Stephanie- I actually like this name, but it seems quite dated and hard to imagine on a little girl.

Kelly- cute! It is familiar yet different, with a vibrant, bouncy personality that fits in with popular names nowadays.

Frances (g) and Ada (g)?

Adore adore adore Frances! It’s so sweet and spunky, yet down to earth & dress-able. I love Frankie, Francie, and beloved Franny as nicknames!

Ada I go back and forth on; ultimately it feels incomplete to me-- I think because it happens so quickly. I know that it’s a nice name and wears really well, but I prefer the similar, but rounder (to me) Atta.

Philomela & Johanna(h)?

Philomenia is pretty and sounds quite floral. I prefer the Italian ‘[name_f]Filomena[/name_f]’… just slightly more refined in my opinion. It could come across as a bit heavy though.

[name_f]Johannah[/name_f]: if pronounced in the english way with the ‘j’ I personally find it a bit mid-century and mumsy. The Scandinavian silent j verson is superb and whimsical though

Girls:
[name_u]Perry[/name_u]
[name_u]Caraway[/name_u]
[name_f]Elisabetta[/name_f]

Boys:
[name_m]Moby[/name_m]