Thoughts on Theresa

Hey berries. We are expecting our baby girl in a couple of weeks and haven‘t decided yet how to name her. We like [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] a lot, nn [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]. We currently live in [name_f]Austria[/name_f] ([name_f]Theresa[/name_f] is quite popular here). But it looks like we will be moving to the US next year, where we will stay probably for a couple of years, so our baby will spend her childhood there. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] works for a little girl in the US? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it will see a revival in the next years?

Theresa definitely would work in the US! It’s uncommon but everyone has at least heard it, I think. I’m not sure what I think about potential revival but I think the name feels like a fresh classic option viable for future children!

Possibly some people will be tripped up by pronunciation, but I don’t think it’ll be too bad!

I think [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] works for a little girl in the US! I have a [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] in my family (no H), she’s 11 and lives in the US. She’s never had any problems with her name. I don’t know if it will see a revival, but I think it’s a great choice. [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is a super sweet nickname and is more common in the US, too. I like [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]!

I think [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] works really nicely for a little girl in the US! It’s unexpected but lovely and would make a perfectly wearable, underused choice imo :blush: It has a bit of a Catholic flavor to my ear, which could be a good thing or not depending on what you’re going for. I’m not sure about a revival in the upcoming years, but I do think it will come back into style again eventually, as it’s a lovely name. I say go for it!

1 Like

Theresa reminds me of [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f], sorry. I do love [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] though

I think it works! It’s familiar, though not very common!

It works wonderfully, I think. Most Theresas I know go by [name_f]Tess[/name_f] or [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], and there are also people given [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] as a standalone name, but I think it works better as a nickname for the lovely but more formal/graceful [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]. You’re giving her lots of options, which is always a good thing.

Love [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]! Partner doesn’t… (sad). [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Therese[/name_f] as well. I don’t think you’ll have any problems internationally.

It’s was used mostly for older women, but nothing wrong with it. It has a lot of Catholic history (several ST. [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]’s).

Theresa definitely works in the US as a name! It’s familiar and classic but not super popular.

Is this bad? I mean [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] was Prime Minister for several years. Not the worst person to be associated with imo…

I guess that depends on your politics and it probably isn’t a big deal in the US

Thanks to everybody for your opinion. I know that [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] is familiar but quite dated in US/UK. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think the child could be „picked“ on for such a „grandma-name“?

:grinning:

I love [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]! A little girl in my family is named [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] (but we’re spanish) so I can picture a toddler with this name easily. [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] are lovely, usable nicknames. [name_m]Even[/name_m] Resa or [name_f]Essie[/name_f] work as a pontential nicknames.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is so sweet and I think [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] as a full name should be perfectly usable in the US - I’m in the UK where it’s a bit more loaded as the first name of a recent prime minister but I think that in itself should have helped make the name more familiar to a US audience in terms of pronunciation anyway

It doesn’t sound super dated to me just not in the zeitgeist. I do think it will get more popular because of the rise in “[name_f]Tess[/name_f]” and “[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]” right now. I think it’s a good name!

I personally don’t like the name [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] and I have never met a younger person with that name. However, I do really love the name [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]! I would just name her [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and maybe call her [name_f]Tess[/name_f].

I think that [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] has the possibility of sounding a little dated here in the US, only because it’s often in my mind associated with middle aged mothers. I’m thinking of [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] Russo, the mother from Wizards of [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] Place, but that could just be based on my own personal experience.

I think [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] would work as a standalone name, and feels less dated.