Thoughts on these uncommon names?

So, as many of you know, I’m still on my (seemngly never ending) search for a name/names I love. Current fav is [name]Violet[/name], but even that is starting to loose interest. I thnk the only reason I still like it is because I have nothing else to like! So here is a short list of uncommon names (I’ve looked through some of the Nameberry data base). So what do you think? I’m not loving these names just yet, but maybe I will in the future? Also, I will take suggestions (though I don’t think many people will give me them since I’ve asked so many times!) So here is the list…

[name]Honora[/name] - Pronounced like [name]Annora[/name], so I am thinking of spelling it like, this, but some how I am more attracted to the [name]Honora[/name] spelling.

[name]Honor[/name] - Similar to [name]Honora[/name]. I know someone with this name, though not very well, so it seems a bit more like a name to me than possibly to some people. This is also not as unusual.

[name]Octavia[/name]- I’m really on sure on this one. A little too out there? Also reminds me a bit too much of the word octave.

[name]Theodora[/name]- I’m not sure about this full name, but I’m lovng the nn [name]Thea[/name]! Not so keen on [name]Dora[/name] as it reminds me of The [name]Explorer[/name].

[name]Zenobia[/name]- I really like ths though it somehow makes me think of a place, even though I’ve researched and its not. Also, I am lkng some of the international variations: (the starred ones are the ones I like most)

French-
[name]Zenia[/name]
[name]Zenaida[/name]
[name]Zenobie[/name]*
[name]Zenna[/name]*

Russian-
[name]Zenovia[/name]*
[name]Zinovia[/name]

Spanish-
[name]Cenobia[/name]
[name]Senobia[/name]*

Thanks so much, you have no idea how much I value your opinions! Have a good evening!

Bounce

[name]Honora[/name] - Pronounced like [name]Annora[/name],- I like the [name]Annora[/name] spelling better, and less confusing

[name]Honor[/name] - its nice, simple. though I would go with the version above

[name]Octavia[/name]- I like it, it sounds girly, and I think it means eight

[name]Theodora[/name]- I’m not sure about this full name, but I’m lovng the nn [name]Thea[/name]! Not so keen on [name]Dora[/name] as it reminds me of The [name]Explorer[/name]. - I agrre! love [name]Thea[/name], not dora; so maybe just the name thea?

[name]Zenobia[/name]- I really like ths though it somehow makes me think of a place, even though I’ve researched and its not. Also, I am lkng some of the international variations: (the starred ones are the ones I like most) - I’m putting this $ next to the ones I like.

French-
[name]Zenia[/name]$
[name]Zenaida[/name]$
[name]Zenobie[/name]*
[name]Zenna[/name]*

Russian-
[name]Zenovia[/name]*
[name]Zinovia[/name] $

Spanish-
[name]Cenobia[/name]
[name]Senobia[/name]*

valeria_alejandra:

Ha, we both like the opposite international variations! Thanks for your comments, really appreaciated!

[name]Hi[/name], Bounce!

[name]Honora[/name] - I personally prefer [name]Annora[/name], as it is more subtle than [name]Honora[/name] or [name]Honor[/name]. I also prefer [name]Annora[/name] for the [name]Anna[/name] or [name]Annie[/name] nicknames, as I’m definitely not a [name]Nora[/name] fan. Overall, though, I think it is sweet.

[name]Honor[/name] - I prefer [name]Honora[/name] - or [name]Annora[/name] - to [name]Honor[/name] because it is less a word and more a name. I do think [name]Honor[/name] is pretty, though, and I think I’d like it very much as a middle name.

[name]Octavia[/name] - This reminds me of Latin class! I’m not a fan, personally, as the name sounds harsh. It sort of reminds me of [name]Ursula[/name], the wicked character in The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid - it just makes me think of an evil, vindictive person! Wonder why…?

[name]Theodora[/name] - Why not just [name]Thea[/name]? See, I like [name]Theodore[/name] for a boy, but [name]Theodora[/name] is like [name]Eleanora[/name] for me. [name]Both[/name] are such an unnecessary mouthful in my opinion. I don’t really like names that are effortful to say - you know what I mean?

[name]Zenobia[/name] - It makes me think of a place, too! I think it is because [name]Zenobia[/name] reminds me of Genovia, the fictitious place in The [name]Princess[/name] Diaries series. I can’t really get past that, so I probably wouldn’t consider it as a name, personally.

Take care, Bounce!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Lemon[/name],

Omygosh your right! Genovia! I also just like about a second ago decided I don’t like this as much as the others.

Also, for everyone who suggested it, I think I do prefer just [name]Thea[/name]! I think it’s really cute!

Once again, thanks for all the suggestions and comments! Keep them coming!

Bounce

Bounce-[name]Chloe[/name],

Isn’t that funny about Genovia? I was doing some [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] research today - I had no idea that [name]Ginny[/name] Weasley was played by a [name]Bonnie[/name]! - and discovered again how wonderful [name]Ginevra[/name] is! Maybe you might like that one. Or, how about [name]Cassia[/name] and [name]Zinnia[/name]!

Anyway, about [name]Thea[/name] - I really like it. It is simple and sweet, sophisticated and sassy. I don’t know if you know who [name]Padma[/name] [name]Lakshmi[/name] is, but she gave birth to a daughter on [name]Saturday[/name] named [name]Krishna[/name] [name]Thea[/name] [name]Lakshmi[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name]-[name]Lauren[/name] :slight_smile:

Bounce-[name]Chloe[/name],

Isn’t that funny about Genovia? I was doing some [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] research today - I had no idea that [name]Ginny[/name] Weasley was played by a [name]Bonnie[/name]! - and discovered again how wonderful [name]Ginevra[/name] is! Maybe you might like that one. Or, how about [name]Cassia[/name] and [name]Zinnia[/name]!

Anyway, about [name]Thea[/name] - I really like it. It is simple and sweet, sophisticated and sassy. I don’t know if you know who [name]Padma[/name] [name]Lakshmi[/name] is, but she gave birth to a daughter on [name]Saturday[/name] named [name]Krishna[/name] [name]Thea[/name] [name]Lakshmi[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name]-[name]Lauren[/name] :-)[/quote]

[name]Lemon[/name]-[name]Lauren[/name],

Sorry, I’m having a brain cramp and can’t remember who [name]Bonnie[/name] is! I know [name]Ginny[/name], though!

[name]Genevra[/name] is very pretty though somehow to me it looks like a mis-spelling, like it should be [name]Generva[/name]. But actually it is very pretty! [name]Cassia[/name] is nices but its sounds a bit too modern to me, like [name]Cassidy[/name]. But again, I’m starting to like it! [name]Zinnia[/name] is very cute and has an exotic feel. I like it!

Also, someone said this about you in another post- I can’t believe you’re so young! You right about names so well! Also, you give the best suggestions!

Bounce

Hey, Bounce!

[name]Bonnie[/name] [name]Wright[/name] is the actress who plays [name]Ginny[/name]. She’s 19 - I think. I just can’t believe her name is [name]Bonnie[/name]!

Anyway, I prefer the [name]Ginevra[/name] spelling - with the [name]Gin[/name] start for the [name]Ginny[/name] nickname - instead of [name]Geneva[/name], since [name]Geneva[/name] is only a place to me. [name]Ginny[/name] Weasley is [name]Ginevra[/name] [name]Molly[/name], I believe…

I see how [name]Cassia[/name] sounds modern, like [name]Cassidy[/name] or [name]Cassie[/name], but I love it for its meaning - “cinnamon.” And, [name]Zinnia[/name] is a flower name that I’ve always liked since reading Chasing Redbird, a kid’s novel published in 1997 by [name]Sharon[/name] Creech! In the book, [name]Zinnia[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] is the main character, and she often goes by Zinny…

You might also like [name]Athena[/name], [name]Bellamy[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Delia[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Gloria[/name], Hosanna, [name]Iris[/name], [name]Julissa[/name], [name]Kira[/name], [name]Leona[/name], [name]Miranda[/name], [name]Natalia[/name], [name]Opal[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Quinn[/name], [name]Rhea[/name], [name]Sorcha[/name], [name]Tallulah[/name], and [name]Viola[/name]…

You said that your top name is [name]Violet[/name] [name]Grace[/name], which I take to be a feminine, yet understated, name. It is so classic, vintage, and elegant! So, what is your style? Really unusual (i.e., [name]Zenobia[/name]) or vintage sophisticate (i.e., [name]Violet[/name] [name]Grace[/name])? If you want names to pair with [name]Violet[/name], I can see many of the names listed above going with her, but others I would suggest are [name]Annora[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Irene[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Lenore[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Rosamund[/name], [name]Simone[/name], and [name]Vanessa[/name].

Oh, and about my age, maybe I just write older than I am? I have no idea…

Hey [name]Lemon[/name],

You talked about [name]Zinnia[/name] from Chasing Redbird, and it’s funny because I read that book last year and totally forgot her name! (I wasn’t as into names as I am now). Ha, and it was also published the year I was born!

From your list I really like [name]Kira[/name] and [name]Natalia[/name], they were on my previous list! Also [name]Sorcha[/name], but only pronounced Sor-SHUH. Kind of an alternative to [name]Sasha[/name], maybe?

In terms of my naming style, I’m really all over the place! I do like very sophisticated, vintage names ([name]Beatrice[/name] is also a fav). But I also like unique, international names that are cute. ([name]Sorcha[/name], [name]Annora[/name] etc.) Sorry, I’m not really good at describing my style, but I can tell you two definite names I don’t like: [name]Marcus[/name] and [name]Celeste[/name]. [name]Both[/name] because of their sounds- [name]Marcus[/name] sound slike Mucus and [name]Celeste[/name] rhymes with molest!

Bounce

[name]Honora[/name]: I really like [name]Honora[/name]. This spelling somehow seems more like a name than [name]Annora[/name], though I also like that…

[name]Honor[/name]: Too much of a word for me. It’s nice if you like virtue names, though (not me).

[name]Octavia[/name]: I really love [name]Octavia[/name]! It’s so distinctive, with its strong, unusual sound and great history.

[name]Theodora[/name]: Yes, [name]Dora[/name]'s not the best name. I like [name]Theodora[/name], but it’s not one of my favorites. I prefer [name]Althea[/name] or [name]Anthea[/name] or [name]Alethea[/name] to get to the nickname [name]Thea[/name].

[name]Zenobia[/name]: It reminds me of Genovia too! I think it would make a great character or pet name, but it’s too over the top for an actual human.

Here are other, similar names (most of them are on my guilty pleasure list):

[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Zinaida[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Amaryllis[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Flavia[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Isabeau[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Viveca[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Ondine[/name]
[name]Fionnuala[/name]
[name]Oceane[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Liana[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Maelle[/name]
[name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Melisande[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name]
[name]Alexandrine[/name]
[name]Philomena[/name]

Bounce,

I loved [name]Sharon[/name] Creech as a child - she wrote the most wonderful books! I haven’t read one in awhile, sadly. [name]Zinnia[/name] has always stuck with me, though! [name]Even[/name] though [name]Violet[/name] is more vintage than [name]Zinnia[/name], I certainly think the two could pair together very well. It does - sort of - box you into a nature theme, but there is so much you can do with it! [name]Violet[/name] [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Zinnia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] sound beautiful together in my opinion…

Other nature names that you may like include Celandine, [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name], [name]Marigold[/name], and [name]Poppy[/name]. Pair them with a classic middle name, like [name]Grace[/name], and you have a winning combination!

I think [name]Natalia[/name] could also go with [name]Violet[/name], but maybe not so much [name]Kira[/name]. [name]Kira[/name] seems more modern to me, in a way. And, [name]Sorcha[/name] is a great alternative to [name]Sasha[/name]! I pronounce it like you do. :wink:

Good luck!

[name]Honora[/name] - nice, I think I prefer [name]Honor[/name] to [name]Honora[/name], but it’s lovely
[name]Honor[/name] - it’s so pretty
[name]Octavia[/name]- not my favorite name
[name]Theodora[/name] - oh, I adore [name]Thea[/name]! I think [name]Theodora[/name] is a gorgeous name
[name]Zenobia[/name] - I really dig the suggestion of [name]Zinnia[/name] as a similar name

What about:
[name]Leonor[/name]
[name]Lenora[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Oriana[/name]
Amalthea
[name]Althea[/name]
[name]Anthea[/name]
[name]Ardelia[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name],

Yes, I love [name]Sharon[/name] Creech! Unfortunately I have already read pretty much all of her books (all that my library has)!

I do agree with you that [name]Zinnia[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] would make a very cute pair! As far as classic middle names I love [name]Jane[/name], so [name]Zinnia[/name] [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. I also like [name]Ivy[/name] from your list.

Also, you talked about [name]Natalia[/name] and [name]Kira[/name] matching [name]Violet[/name], and I agree with you; [name]Natalia[/name] works better. I also find [name]Kira[/name] modern-sounding, but I have loved it since I read the book [name]Kira[/name] [name]Kira[/name] a few years ago. [name]Kira[/name] means “glittering” in Japanese.

I was thinking about [name]Sorcha[/name] and similar names, and I came up with [name]Saoirse[/name] (seer-shuh). I also thnk this name is pretty. I also like [name]Sasha[/name], so it seems I have a them going!

I was just think that I love how one Nameberry everyone is such a fanatic that they accept names that are a little different like [name]Sorcha[/name] or [name]Zinnia[/name], but when I talk about names at school everyone loves names like [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Alexis[/name]… pretty much all the popular, common names!

Bounce

What do you think of the name [name]Saoirse[/name]? Since you like [name]Sorcha[/name] I thought it might be your taste.

I love the look of it so much and just wish it was pronounced Sa-oh-ahs instead of Seer-sha.

Another nice option could be [name]Malou[/name]/Malue

[name]Lemon[/name],

Yes, I love [name]Sharon[/name] Creech! Unfortunately I have already read pretty much all of her books (all that my library has)!

I do agree with you that [name]Zinnia[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] would make a very cute pair! As far as classic middle names I love [name]Jane[/name], so [name]Zinnia[/name] [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. I also like [name]Ivy[/name] from your list.

Also, you talked about [name]Natalia[/name] and [name]Kira[/name] matching [name]Violet[/name], and I agree with you; [name]Natalia[/name] works better. I also find [name]Kira[/name] modern-sounding, but I have loved it since I read the book [name]Kira[/name] [name]Kira[/name] a few years ago. [name]Kira[/name] means “glittering” in Japanese.

I was thinking about [name]Sorcha[/name] and similar names, and I came up with [name]Saoirse[/name] (seer-shuh). I also thnk this name is pretty. I also like [name]Sasha[/name], so it seems I have a them going!

I was just think that I love how one Nameberry everyone is such a fanatic that they accept names that are a little different like [name]Sorcha[/name] or [name]Zinnia[/name], but when I talk about names at school everyone loves names like [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Alexis[/name]… pretty much all the popular, common names!

Bounce[/quote]

Hey, Bounce!

Yes, I was going to suggest [name]Saoirse[/name], which I like very much, but it is bound to have pronunciation issues. Not sure where you live, but in the US, that name would be oddly butchered. [name]Sorcha[/name], on the other hand, seems more reasonable. I could see [name]Sorcha[/name], [name]Natalia[/name], and [name]Kira[/name] together, but I prefer your other combination of natural names…

[name]Violet[/name] [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Zinnia[/name] [name]Jane[/name] are stunning names! I love them, separately and together. [name]Ivy[/name] is a great addition, and you could do something like [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. I think one of my favorites would be [name]Jessamine[/name], as it has a different ending than both [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Zinnia[/name], yet it maintains the same three-syllable pattern. [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cate[/name] would be nice, too! [name]Violet[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Zinnia[/name] [name]Jane[/name], and [name]Jessamine[/name] [name]Claire[/name] would be darling - [name]Vi[/name], Zinny, and [name]Jessa[/name]…

I know what you mean! Luckily, some of my friends have more “exotic” taste than the norm - my sister is a fan of more English-Irish-Welsh-Scottish names (i.e., [name]Rhys[/name], [name]Callum[/name], Wils, and [name]Tegan[/name]) whereas my other good friend loves [name]Russell[/name] [name]Kian[/name] and [name]Nolan[/name] [name]James[/name] (oh, [name]Nolan[/name], how I despise thee…). Then I’ve got a friend who has her heart set on [name]Emma[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], and [name]Isabella[/name] - if you love it, though, you have to go for it!

Good luck!