Thoughts on this name for a girl

just came across [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] used as a girls name! It was spelled [name_u]Rudi[/name_u] though. what are your thoughts on this name? does it work for a girl? the nn potential of ru/roo/rue is what interested me…

I think it’s cute. I do like the [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] spelling better though!

I really like Rudy on a boy, but I’m not a fan of it on a girl, regardless of how you spell it. If I had to call a girl Rudy though, I’d stick with the Rudy spelling.

It might be nice as a nickname to something like Prudence, Rodolfa, Astrid, Frida, Merida, Nerida, Meridian, etc!

I think it works better on a boy, being more established as a male name. But it can certainly work on a girl too. I don’t personally like it much because I just hear “rude”, but I can see the quirky-clunky appeal.

2 Likes

I can see it kind of working, especially since it’s similar to [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]

1 Like

I kinda like it, I personally only like it for a girl

I like the Rudy spelling. I prefer Ruby or Rooney for a girl, but still cute!

I love it !

I don’t really like the name [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] in general, but I just hear rude-y or rooty. But I do think it works well for a girl for someone who does like the name! It is very very similar to [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], and with [name_u]Rue[/name_u] becoming super popular it could be a good option for someone who likes [name_u]Rue[/name_u] but wants a longer full name. Honestly I think it sounds way more like a traditional girls name than a boys name. And since it’s not even a popular boy name anymore (I don’t think I’ve heard this name at all since the Cosby Show and honestly even forgot it existed), I think a lot of people wouldn’t even associate it as being a boy name at all.

[name_f]My[/name_f] great grandmother was named [name_f]Luella[/name_f] but she went by [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] in her later years. I think it works fine for a girl and the similarity to [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] definitely helps. I agree with pp though that u personally prefer [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] or [name_u]Rooney[/name_u].

I can totally see it on a girl I think because there was a little girl on The Cosby Show named [name_u]Rudy[/name_u]. Hers was short for “Rudith” which I’ve never heard before.

I like it. [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] spelling is better for me. It’s a well established unisex name.

I like [name_u]Rudy[/name_u]! I prefer [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] over [name_u]Rudi[/name_u]. I think the nickname of [name_u]Rue[/name_u] would be very sweet.

I like it spelled [name_u]Rudi[/name_u]! It reminds me of [name_u]Remi[/name_u] and [name_u]Rumi[/name_u], two other names I like for girls. Ru is a cute nickname.