Thoughts on two middle names?

My husband and I are pretty certain we’re going to go with [name_m]August[/name_m] for the little boy we’re expecting. I wish it hadn’t gotten so popular, but it’s a name I’ve loved even before I found out it was his beloved late grandfather’s middle name, which sealed it for him. It just feels right.

I wasn’t expecting my husband to insist we use his first name as a middle for this baby. Apparently it’s a generations long tradition in his family that he won’t give up. I’m fine with it but don’t love that first and middle honor his family. Our second daughter’s middle also honors his family, first daughter’s middle honors mine (their first names are not honor names). So I’m debating giving this baby two middle names to also honor my family, which my husband is totally fine with. I’m just wondering if it’s just too much or over the top or will make things complicated on official forms? Would love thoughts! Last name starts with a C and is one syllable. Thank you!

[name_m]August[/name_m] [name_m]Lane[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]

[name_m]August[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Lane[/name_m]

My son has two middle names and we never had any problem.

I think the names are short enough that it works just fine – I’ve met people with four middles after all :person_shrugging:

[name_m]August[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Lane[/name_m] is charminng

[name_m]August[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Lane[/name_m] is my vote! I don’t think it’s too much. My niece write her first name and then just does her two middle initials and then her last name when she signs anything.

I think it should be fine! The given names are only 20 characters long, which shouldn’t be too much, but he can always initial if need be. I slightly prefer [name_m]August[/name] [name_m]Lane[/name] [name_m]Theodore[/name] but both of them flow really nicely.

Individual experience will vary but I don’t think two middle names is inherently complicated and it’s also becoming more common.

Balancing family names from both sides was also important to us when naming our son. It would certainly get more challenging to balance family names the more children you have. I also consider the surname when thinking of family names.

That said, on paper, your daughters have one family name each and your son may end up with three. That imbalance between children would give me some pause, in effect, trading one imbalance for another.

I’d personally rather my children have name stories that feel equal in weight. But naming is shaped by our personal values, something that bothers me may not bother you.

Both of your options sound nice. I think I slightly prefer [name_m]August[/name_m] [name_m]Lane[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] C___ when factoring in your one syllable surname.

All the best with your decision whichever way you go!

I love [name_m]August[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Lane[/name_m] C____! To me, [name_m]August[/name_m] [name_m]Lane[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] C___ kind of sounds like two people’s names being listed (i.e. [name_m]August[/name_m] [name_m]Lane[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] C___), whereas [name_m]August[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Lane[/name_m] C___ feels more cohesive as a single name.

I have some two middle combinations on my list so don’t have a problem with them and think they can be a great way to include additional names you don’t want to leave out :slight_smile: Your choices are lovely!