Thoughts on "W" names?

I’ve been drawn to several different “W” names recently. I’d love your thoughts/impressions!

[name]Woodrow[/name] nn [name]Woody[/name] (Is this just asking for trouble?)
[name]Warren[/name]
[name]Wade[/name]
[name]Wilder[/name]
[name]Wheeler[/name]
[name]Waylon[/name]
[name]Ward[/name]

Thanks!

Have a neighbor kid named [name]Woodson[/name] nn [name]Woody[/name]. He seems to have weathered through ok, not that I’ve ever asked him how he likes his name.

Faves are [name]Warren[/name] and [name]Wilder[/name] (love [name]Wilder[/name]!) with [name]Wade[/name] as the runner up. I like [name]Waylon[/name] and [name]Ward[/name] ok; I just hear “wailin’” with the former and I think of someone’s ward or to ward off trouble with the latter. [name]Wheeler[/name] is meh for me. Regardless of how the [name]Woody[/name] I know has navigated life with his nn, I don’t really care for [name]Woodrow[/name] all that much.

I really like [name]Winslow[/name], too. Maybe that would fit on your W list, too :slight_smile:

[name]ADORE[/name] [name]Wilder[/name]! The others aren’t really my style, but I adore [name]Wilder[/name], I think it’s so cute. It reminds me of [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde and [name]Laura[/name] Ingalls [name]Wilder[/name], both two great associations, imo. I’ve been thinking about it more and more, but I’m a bit afraid of it becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. :confused:

I really like [name]Wilder[/name] too, but I’ve gotten some pretty negative feedback about it in the non-nameberry world. A lot of people think it sounds nerdy… I just don’t get that.

[name]Woodrow[/name] nn [name]Woody[/name] - No. [name]Just[/name] no.
[name]Warren[/name] - I like it!
[name]Wade[/name] - Not a big fan. I just think of the verb, like wading.
[name]Wilder[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]. It got a negative reception when I first started on this site a couple years ago so I’m surprised it’s loved now.
[name]Wheeler[/name] - Not a fan, but I like [name]Whistler[/name], so go figure.
[name]Waylon[/name] - Really like!
[name]Ward[/name] - Again, not a fan. I think “to ward off” or “ward of the state”, not really great associations. I may be the only one.

Nerdy?! [name]Wilder[/name] is like, the opposite of nerdy to me, lol.

[name]Just[/name] noticed I’d missed [name]Wade[/name], too, I really love that. I would only use [name]Wade[/name] as a MN, though–it seems a bit fuddy-duddy/nerdy to me. I used to adore [name]Daniel[/name] [name]Wade[/name] as a combo, though.

[name]Wade[/name] is a family name on my side and hubby’s mom’s side does the first boy is name a W name with an E name as the middle so we will probably use “[name]Wade[/name] [name]Everett[/name]” if we have a boy… I just think its a classic strong sounding name but I also think [name]Wilder[/name] is really neat (love the literary context to it)

I like [name]Weston[/name]. [name]Walker[/name] is not bad though.

[name]Warren[/name] is fine, but I really dislike the rest. [name]How[/name] about [name]Wyatt[/name]? My favorite W-names are [name]Wallace[/name] and [name]Waldo[/name], though they might not be your style.

Oh, and [name]Walden[/name]!

[name]Warren[/name], [name]Woodrow[/name], and [name]Ward[/name], are fine, but are all quite serious.

I quite like [name]Wilder[/name] too.

[name]Wade[/name] may have some unfortunate connotations for the next couple of years, since it’s the name of the perpetrator of the tragic shooting at the Sikh temple in WI, and it’s uncommon enough that the association may be there for a while.

I might also suggest [name]Walter[/name], [name]Wesley[/name], Warwick, and [name]Winston[/name]

Thanks all!

I do like [name]Walter[/name] and [name]Winston[/name] as well.