Thoughts on Whittaker

Exploring some new names and came across [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m]. I’m still mulling it over, so I don’t have a solid opinion yet. I do like the nn [name_u]Whit[/name_u].

Thoughts? Help me love or leave this name.

1 Like

Whit is a cute nn! I don’t love it because the taker part sounds harsh to me. Also, I’ve known someone with the last name [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m].

I like [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m], but I like [name_m]Whitman[/name_m] more. [name_u]Love[/name_u] nn [name_u]Whit[/name_u] either way!

1 Like

Reminds me of chocolate- there’s a NZ brand of chocolate called Whittakers. Not the worst association to have :blush:

1 Like

I want to like [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m], but it just feels too much like a surname to me (probably because my immediate association is [name_u]Forest[/name_u] [name_m]Whitaker[/name_m]!).
However, I really love nn [name_u]Whit[/name_u]! It’s so handsome and sweet. I love the suggestion of [name_m]Whitman[/name_m]!! There’s also [name_m]Whitford[/name_m], Whitfield, Whittier, [name_m]Whistler[/name_m], [name_m]Hewitt[/name_m], and [name_m]Prewitt[/name_m] to get to nn [name_u]Whit[/name_u]/Witt!

2 Likes

Whittaker is sharp and cool. I quite like it

2 Likes

Great name and nickname.

I immediately think of Adventures in Odyssey, a radio/podcast series my kids are subscribed to, with 30+ years of content. [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m] is the main character - a wise, elderly gentleman who runs an ice cream shop and has a time machine of sorts.

All very positive associations, but also very strong. I reckon you’ll run into people who assume you’ve named your son after this character.

1 Like

I love it! It used to be one of my favourite surnames (it’s still great, I’ve just found others I like more). It’s a fun name to say, I really like it a lot.

1 Like

I’m a sucker for a surname! I love it

1 Like

I love [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m]!! It’s one that I thought of when I was a kid, and I’ve loved it every since. It feels very strong and timeless, I think. And I love [name_u]Whit[/name_u]! It’s so spunky and cool!

1 Like

Surname not first name.

I adore it! But I know I’d never use it. I think I’d love to meet one in real life though. It’s got a nice quirk to it and [name_u]Whit[/name_u] is awesome.

1 Like

I loooove [name_u]Whitney[/name_u] and [name_f]Whitley[/name_f], so a great part of me likes [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m]. somehow I find it clunky and handsome at the same time. I’m probably not much help here.

I’m usually not into surnames, but I actually really like [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m]!

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m], and the suggestion of [name_m]Whistler[/name_m]!

1 Like

Thank you for all your feedback! I appreciate it!

@emmelinegrace I knew it was a surname, so the fact you know someone with that last name doesn’t surprise me. haha I do really like [name_u]Whit[/name_u]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t love any of the names to get there just yet.

@KO46 I love [name_u]Whit[/name_u], for sure. Not sure about [name_m]Whitman[/name_m], though. I’d have to think on that one.

@sarahjane1 Definitely worse associations than a brand of chocolates. haha I’m in the US, so I’ve never heard of them.

@regionlatbest It is a surname, so I get that. Thanks for the suggestions! I like Whittier and [name_m]Prewitt[/name_m], I think. All these names are really new to me as far as considering them for a future child goes, so I have to think on them. lol

@Greyblue I like that vibe. I can get behind that. =]

@tp_b I have never heard of that podcast. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t think anyone I know has, either. haha But it may be more popular than I realize. As long as it’s not a negative association, though, I don’t mind.

@jonquils I really want to like [name_m]Whitman[/name_m] because I’m a literature nerd, but I just don’t think I like it.

@PRSing I’m aware it’s a surname. People use surnames as first names all the time now, though, so that doesn’t bother me.

@rosajune Clunky and handsome is a good description, I think. haha I do like [name_f]Whitley[/name_f], but our daughter’s name ends in -ley, so I don’t think it would be very usable for us, unfortunately.

1 Like

I like it a lot! And [name_u]Whit[/name_u] is a super cool nickname.
I also immediately associate it with Mr. [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m] on Adventures in Odyssey, but to me that’s an extremely positive association and just adds to the charm of the name.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m]!! I think its classic but edgy at the same time. Not every surname can go the route to first name but I think this one is great!!

1 Like

I have never heard of Adventures in Odyssey. Like not even an inkling what it is, but it’s been mentioned twice. lol Maybe I need to look it up. xD

The programme is from the [name_u]Christian[/name_u] faith tradition and comes out of the US, so if either are not your background it would be easy to miss. They’re well produced audio dramas about everyday life in a small town, with occasionally very powerful episodes on international issues and quirky time machine adventures.