Thoughts or experience on Addison?

I recent poster asked a question about a name and she so eloquently worded it, and her concerns regarding the name were very similiar to my own concerns with a name [name]Ive[/name] been considering…so Im going to do the same thing and ask for your input. [name]Addison[/name] seems to be hated here on Nameberry, but I wonder what the general consensus is in the ‘real world’. I know that over 11,000 were named [name]Addison[/name] last year but still that is a small percentage of babies in the grande scheme of things, meaning an even larger amount of people could share the same feelings that many do on nameberry. Does anybody have any personal experience with the name? I really want to choose a name that is well liked by others and that receives compliments. Im pretty sensitive and fear that many will be silently thinking many of the things [name]Ive[/name] read on nameberry about the name…sometimes [name]Ive[/name] read comments about [name]Addison[/name] on here where people have actually written “yuck” next to the name or “did your parents name you after the disease”.

I know several young [name]Addie[/name]'s, 2 of which’s full names are [name]Addison[/name] - I had known these girls for several months before I found out their full names. In fact I do not know of any [name]Addison[/name]'s that don’t go exclusively by [name]Addie[/name] which suggests to me that the name is just a route to get [name]Addie[/name]. It does personally scream [name]Addison[/name]'s disease at me but then I am a vet… However, that wouldn’t stop me using it if I liked it. What actually makes me dislike it as a girls name is the meaning: “son of [name]Adam[/name]” - not a label I would put on a girl… [name]Adelyn[/name] is a much better choice in my opinion if it is [name]Addie[/name] you are after - meaning “noble, kind”.

[name]Minnie[/name] x

If I’m reading your post right, you’re asking if anyone knows any [name]Addison[/name]'s or has thoughts about it in the real world, plus input on the name as a whole?

Well, as far as sounding like a disease, I’ve heard that said about a few times about [name]Celia[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] as well, so that isn’t really something that would cause me not to use the name.
I can’t speak for everyone of course, but I’d say knowing there are 11,000 other babies with your child’s name this year alone is more than enough to put me off a name, and I would venture to say a fair few posters would feel that way.
I know personally only one [name]Addison[/name], and her best friend is named–[name]Addison[/name] (although she is only 3, and I think they’re best friends because both of their names are [name]Addison[/name]). However, between playgrounds and daycare and grocery stores, etc, I’ve heard the name many, many times. So, in that sense, I think the general consensus [name]IRL[/name] is that the name is pretty well liked, and common enough people will recognize it.
My thoughts are that its slowly becoming a kind of ‘filler name’ though, and to be honest I don’t know if its the kind of name that would get too many compliments simply because it is becoming fairly commonplace. If there are so many other girls (and boys possibly) with the same name, I think the charm of the name can get worn out.

I really like the name [name]Addison[/name] - I think it is really beautiful. However, I would not use it because it is so popular.

I know one little girl named [name]Addison[/name], and she goes exclusively by [name]Addie[/name], which I love! You can also get the [name]Addie[/name] nn from [name]Adeline[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name].

I know a 17 year old boy named [name]Addison[/name], so I tend to associate the name with boys. I feel bad for the [name]Addison[/name] I know, because not only is his first name becoming a “girls’” name despite ending in -son, but his last name which is similar to [name]McKenzie[/name] in that it is a traditional Scottish/Irish name that is also becoming a popular girls’ first name. However, I think [name]Addie[/name] is an adorable nickname for girls and I think parents could name their daughters [name]Adeline[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name] to get the nickname [name]Addy[/name].

I have an absolutely beautiful niece named [name]Addison[/name], her mother is a nurse and was well aware of the disease connotation but didn’t care because she loved the name. We call her [name]Addie[/name] but not exclusively we definitely call her [name]Addison[/name] a lot of the time her middle name is [name]Taylor[/name] and we often call her [name]Addie[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] or [name]Addison[/name] [name]Taylor[/name], personally I would have given her a more feminine less androgynous middle name but her name suits her spunky little personality and now I wouldn’t be able to imagine her as anything else. We have heard of several baby girls in our area of friends and acquaintances being named [name]Addison[/name] but by no means does our [name]Addison[/name] feel like one of many. We will see what happens when she enters school she is currently 3 but so far I have only had the most positive experiences with the name [name]Addison[/name]. Goodluck in your naming process remember in the end it only matters if you love the names you choose for your children!

Honestly I think it is a very safe name to choose, and while safe is good – I think steering away from safe trendy and sticking with safe classic or even risky classic is the way of nameberry. [name]Addison[/name] is not very well received here as it has come into its popularity by way of trending, similar to the rise of the name [name]Aiden[/name] and its many variations. The thing is that we basically all like the same sounds, but at the same time we want a unique name… so we start switching up names to get that “different but the same” type of name.

[name]Madeline[/name] + [name]Allison[/name] (two popular names) = [name]Madison[/name] (same sounds, different name!) —> recipe for popularity. [name]Madison[/name] gets a little too popular and falls out of favor…then lo and behold [name]Addison[/name] arises from the depths to be the new name of choice. When [name]Addison[/name] gets too popular another similar name will come into the spotlight. Would your parents or grandparents have ever even considered the name [name]Addison[/name] when they named you? Makes you wonder… haha.

I don’t think the name [name]Addison[/name] will receive any criticism in the non-nameberry world and any little girl named [name]Addison[/name] will most likely be perfectly content and love her name despite its popularity. Fitting in is always a good thing for young girls and a popular name is definitely a boon in that regard.

I think off nameberry it is a desirable name. I think it appeals to people who like place or surnames like [name]Taylor[/name], [name]Sloane[/name], or [name]Reagan[/name] for a girl. My husband is pretty conservative and he thinks it is “out there” for a name. I think he means “trendy”.So perhaps he may be a lot of Americans. I think on namberry people think it is too popular or too masculine. I don’t know any Addisons but I think it good name–go for it! [name]Addy[/name] is very cute.

If you are truly looking for a name with broad appeal that will get frequent compliments, I don’t think [name]Addison[/name] is the one you want. There are simply too many people (on and off Nameberry) who are not on board with using unisex or traditionally male names on girls. (I am used to a world where when you hear or see someone’s name, you generally know whether it’s a he or she, so it looks like I have some adjusting to do.) Anyway, while I do think the nn “[name]Addie[/name]” is cute, I would not be comfortable picking [name]Addison[/name] or other unisex names.

So, while the name [name]Addison[/name] is popular, will fit in, and will no longer raise eyebrows, I don’t think that translates to universal appeal. To pick a girls’ name that is widely liked and gets complimented (as you mentioned), I’d go with something more feminine and less trendy.

I am a pediatrician, so I see lots of cute little babies with current names. [name]Addison[/name] has become quite popular in the state I live in. I have never associated the name with [name]Addison[/name]'s disease, just cute little girls! Some of my patients go by [name]Addie[/name], but a lot are called by their given name [name]Addison[/name]. In my state [name]Addison[/name] is becoming more popular than [name]Madison[/name]. Other suggestions would be [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Adeline[/name] or [name]Adela[/name]. I only know one little [name]Adela[/name] and she is adorable! I don’t think you can go wrong with [name]Addison[/name] though. Good luck!

I love the name and truly do not understand why so many dislike it… I also have never understood why it’s bad to have a popular name…