Three questions...

I’ve made quite a few boards here lately, so I decided to clump these questions together into one topic and hope for some good responses.

1. What are your thoughts on the combo [name]Vera[/name] [name]Hermione[/name]? I’ve been searching for a non-family name (with meaning) to pair with [name]Vera[/name] and think I may have found it. I’ve loved the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] series since I was seven and think [name]Hermione[/name] is a great role model for a little girl. These two things make the name special to me.

2. What do you think of [name]Martin[/name] as a middle name for a girl? It was my great-grandmother’s maiden name and to me is terribly dated on a boy. My family name options for a girl are lacking, and I think the bird association helps it to feel fresh for a girl. I’m considering the combo [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Martin[/name] for my list… maybe [name]Luella[/name] [name]Martin[/name].

3. What do you think of [name]Annie[/name] as a given name? [name]Ann[/name], [name]Annie[/name], [name]Anna[/name], etc are all over my family tree, and I’ve searched high and low for an [name]Ann[/name]- name I like. None appeal to me as much as [name]Annie[/name], which I love.

[name]Vera[/name] [name]Hermione[/name] is a great combo. I really like it.

I am unsure about [name]Martin[/name] as a middle name for a girl. What about [name]Martine[/name], [name]Martina[/name], [name]Marnie[/name], [name]Marlin[/name], [name]Marta[/name], [name]Martia[/name], or rearranging the letters of [name]Martin[/name] to Tamrin for a middle name? Or maybe even [name]Marti[/name]?

I also love [name]Annie[/name].

Good luck!

1. What are your thoughts on the combo [name]Vera[/name] [name]Hermione[/name]? I’ve been searching for a non-family name (with meaning) to pair with [name]Vera[/name] and think I may have found it. I’ve loved the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] series since I was seven and think [name]Hermione[/name] is a great role model for a little girl. These two things make the name special to me.

I actually think it sounds nice. I’m not the biggest fan of [name]Hermione[/name] but as a middle I let it slide :wink:

1. What do you think of [name]Martin[/name] as a middle name for a girl? It was my great-grandmother’s maiden name and to me is terribly dated on a boy. My family name options for a girl are lacking, and I think the bird association helps it to feel fresh for a girl. I’m considering the combo [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Martin[/name] for my list… maybe [name]Luella[/name] [name]Martin[/name].

As I sorta implied with my last response, I usually give middle names more slack because that’s where I’d put a name I want to use to honor someone/something without using it as a first. So unless it’s totally out there I usually don’t care what someone’s middle name is. That being said, I kinda like it. I really like the connection to it. I agree with PP though, maybe there is another name that flows better? [name]Maura[/name]? [name]Marah[/name]?

1. What do you think of [name]Annie[/name] as a given name? [name]Ann[/name], [name]Annie[/name], [name]Anna[/name], etc are all over my family tree, and I’ve searched high and low for an [name]Ann[/name]- name I like. None appeal to me as much as [name]Annie[/name], which I love.

Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of nicknames as given names. I like the idea of a longer, “formal” name to use. My example is [name]Theo[/name]. I really love [name]Theo[/name]. But I would rather name a kid [name]Theodore[/name] and nn him [name]Theo[/name]. That way he has a choice to go by what you’ve been calling him, or maybe use [name]Ted[/name] or [name]Teddy[/name]. [name]Annabel[/name] or [name]Annaliese[/name] would make good full names [name]IMO[/name]. I usually dislike “belle/bella” names but [name]Annabel[/name] feels different to me.

1. I love [name]Vera[/name] [name]Hermione[/name]. [name]Vera[/name] is a great choice, and I think giving her the middle name [name]Hermione[/name] is a wonderful idea–I love the character, and it’s beautiful besides.

2. I’m an extremely firm believer that anything goes in the middle name spot. In addition to that unwavering belief, one of my very best friends in the entire world has the middle name of [name]Anderson[/name], because it’s her mother’s maiden name, so I absolutely think [name]Martin[/name] is doable.

3. I think [name]Annie[/name] as a given name is doable too…I don’t think [name]Annie[/name] necessarily ages super well, but she can always just go [name]Ann[/name] if she wants.

1. [name]Vera[/name] [name]Hermione[/name] is a nice combo with personal meaning for you. I don’t actually like the name [name]Hermione[/name] myself, I just have different taste, but it is a good combination with [name]Vera[/name].

2. Maiden names ALWAYS work as middles. [name]Don[/name]'t change it, alter it, or rearrange the letters. IMHO given names can (and sometimes should) be tweaked; family surnames should remain intact. I wouldn’t have made the bird association right away. [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Martin[/name] is a pleasing combination; [name]Luella[/name] [name]Martin[/name] feels a bit tedious.

3. [name]Love[/name] the name [name]Annie[/name], and part of me wants to say why not when there are so many other -EE -EY -IE and even -EIGH ending names out there. The traditionalist part of me wants to say where there is a classic “original” for a pet form, the original should always be used. A man I knew named [name]Danny[/name] comes to mind…his professional certificates all read [name]Danny[/name] Middlename Surname. He went by [name]Dan[/name], but I felt bad for him that his official documents had to say [name]Danny[/name]. So I’m torn on this subject, but if it were me I think the traditionalist would win out.

1. I think [name]Vera[/name] [name]Hermione[/name] is a good name. I don’t really like [name]Hermione[/name] as a first name, but it works as a middle.

2. I actually like [name]Martin[/name] as a middle name - I think it’s nice that it’s honoring family. My only hesitation might be if you had a more masculine first name, but I think it goes well with [name]Louisa[/name] or [name]Luella[/name].

3. I also am not a big fan of nicknames as a first name just because I feel like she might want something more serious or professional sounding at some point. Though as pp said she could just go by [name]Ann[/name] if she wants, but somehow I feel like personally I’d go with [name]Ann[/name] or some other variant and then just call her [name]Annie[/name].

I really love [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Martin[/name] and [name]Luella[/name] [name]Martin[/name].

I like the contrast between the uber-feminine sounding [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Luella[/name] with a more neutral [name]Martin[/name]. I’m not as a big a fan of [name]Martina[/name] and suggest sticking with your family name.

I totally agree with lizabethm that [name]Annie[/name] is too much of a nickname. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Annie[/name] but would give her a more proper first name and call her [name]Annie[/name] as a nn. I really love the names [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Ann[/name] and would opt for one of those!

1. What are your thoughts on the combo [name]Vera[/name] [name]Hermione[/name]? I’ve been searching for a non-family name (with meaning) to pair with [name]Vera[/name] and think I may have found it. I’ve loved the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] series since I was seven and think [name]Hermione[/name] is a great role model for a little girl. These two things make the name special to me. Not my style

1. What do you think of [name]Martin[/name] as a middle name for a girl? It was my great-grandmother’s maiden name and to me is terribly dated on a boy. My family name options for a girl are lacking, and I think the bird association helps it to feel fresh for a girl. I’m considering the combo [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Martin[/name] for my list… maybe [name]Luella[/name] [name]Martin[/name]. Because of the family connection I like it. I’m partial to [name]Luella[/name] [name]Martin[/name] of the two you listed.

2. What do you think of [name]Annie[/name] as a given name? [name]Ann[/name], [name]Annie[/name], [name]Anna[/name], etc are all over my family tree, and I’ve searched high and low for an [name]Ann[/name]- name I like. None appeal to me as much as [name]Annie[/name], which I love. I love [name]Annie[/name], it’d be refreshing as a given name.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

@saracita00: I totally agree with you. I would never alter a family surname. My great-grandmother was a [name]Martin[/name] and only the name [name]Martin[/name] honors her family.

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Martin[/name] is definitely going on my list. I’m glad [name]Vera[/name] [name]Hermione[/name] is getting some support. [name]Annie[/name] I’m still not sure about…

1. [name]Vera[/name] [name]Hermione[/name] is very lovely! I like it a lot, even though I’m not crazy about HP personally, which is why I wouldn’t use it. But it sounds like a great choice for you and the two names work together really well.

2. [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Martin[/name]/[name]Luella[/name] [name]Martin[/name] - I surprised myself by really actually liking [name]Martin[/name]! I do agree it’s dated for a boy but I love bird names on girls and [name]Martin[/name] works really well with [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Luella[/name]. I, too, like [name]Luella[/name] [name]Martin[/name] more of the two.

3. I absolutely love [name]Annie[/name], but not as a given name. It’s just too nicknamey for me. I’m sure you’ve exhausted all your options… I really like [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Annika[/name], [name]Anneliese[/name], [name]Anais[/name], [name]Annette[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Johanna[/name], [name]Arianne[/name], [name]Juliana[/name], etc., personally. Maybe give it some time? I have absolutely loved the nns [name]Lola[/name] and [name]Posey[/name] for forever, but none of their full names seemed usable to me, but lately [name]Charlotte[/name] nn [name]Lola[/name] has really been growing on me, so I might actually have my [name]Lola[/name] name now. I am one of those people that needs a full name so just [name]Annie[/name] would be strictly off the table for me, but I guess it depends more on what your style is. [name]Vera[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Helena[/name], etc.–they all feel like very complete and full names (even though [name]Vera[/name] and [name]Cora[/name] could be nicknames, they also are full names in their own right), so I feel that [name]Annie[/name] would stick out, but I think it’s up to you, ultimately. What about just [name]Anne[/name]? Is it too plain for you? I can actually see something like just [name]Anne[/name] working really well with your other favorites.

Good luck!

1. [name]Vera[/name] [name]Hermione[/name] is very pretty! I think of Greek Mythology when I hear [name]Hermione[/name], not [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], which is nice for me, but most people won’t think of that.

2. I really dislike [name]Martin[/name] on a girl. I’m sorry to say that though. I actually think [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Martin[/name] sounds fine, if I heard it as a FN surname combo, I would think it paired really well, so if you decide to go for it, that gets my vote. Otherwise, I would suggest saving it for a boys middle name. [name]Lewis[/name] [name]Martin[/name] would be very handsome.

3. [name]Annie[/name] is my favorite nn for the [name]Ann[/name]- names. However, [name]Annie[/name] isn’t something I can really picture on a grown woman. I’m not saying it won’t work, other people have made stranger or more cutesy names work for them. Personally, my favorite [name]Ann[/name]-/An- names are [name]Anastasia[/name], [name]Annette[/name], [name]Andromeda[/name], and [name]Anica[/name], [name]Anita[/name] (and i knew a girl named [name]Anitra[/name] (uh-nee-truh)).