Tiktok sighting!

So on the app tiktok, this mom made a video saying her children’s names, and it’s getting a lot of hate in the comments. They are…
[name_f]Leontine[/name_f] [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] “[name_f]Lala[/name_f]”
[name_m]Colton[/name_m] [name_m]Albert[/name_m] “[name_u]Coco[/name_u]”
[name_u]Fallon[/name_u] Daherty “[name_f]Peaches[/name_f] Pie”
[name_u]Hunter[/name_u] [name_m]Rowland[/name_m] “[name_m]Rolly[/name_m]”

Now the nicknames are a little cutesy for my taste but honestly these don’t seem all that crazy to me? Am I just so used to names like this on nameberry?

The top comments are…
“When I realized this wasn’t a joke…”
“I was trying to understand the puns in the names but they’re just real…”
“aww they’re so unique and awful”
“ya’ll are really just throwing letters together and naming your children at this point”
“I would cry if this was my name”

[name_f]Do[/name_f] names like this really get this much hate in real life? Any moms of kids with unique names have experiences like this?

1 Like

They sound pretty normal and nice to me!

3 Likes

@MG1257 That’s what I thought! But there are hundreds of negative comments :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Bashing on names is never appropriate! I’m disappointed that so many would be so harsh!

5 Likes

Why the heck do people pile so much hate when all the videos are doing is telling their choices in names? Names don’t have to be your favorites!! If you don’t like it, keep it to yourself, is what I’d say. I actually love those names! [name_m]How[/name_m] is [name_f]Leontine[/name_f] [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] or [name_m]Colton[/name_m] [name_m]Albert[/name_m] or [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] [name_m]Rowland[/name_m] weird? [name_u]Fallon[/name_u] Daherty is the most out-there but it is very very wearable and I woud love to meet someone with that name!

3 Likes

When they realized it “wasn’t a joke” and that “they’re just real”, they should have stopped to think about what they would think if it was their own child’s name being bashed and held their opinions to themselves. Something may not be what they would choose as a name, but it IS someone’s name and that’s what should matter.

5 Likes

Those nicknames are a little too cutesy, especially the boy ones. I honestly think all the hate is coming from their nicknames. Leotine is a bit out there but the rest are normal. Also people love to bully on Tik Tok for no reason, whatever gets their comments more likes.

I saw on TIk Tok a couple days ago a teen mom who named her daughter Stormlight [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. At first I thought it was a joke but she really did name her daughter Stormlight. And they call her [name_f]Stormi[/name_f] which isn’t that different and I think it’s pretty cute. I think Stormlight would fit better as a middle just because it’d be a hard name to grow into and I can see some potential bullying.

4 Likes

So [name_m]Colton[/name_m] & [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] are super common (at least, where I am from), and [name_u]Fallon[/name_u] and [name_f]Leontine[/name_f] aren’t that out there. I would be a little surprised to meet a [name_f]Leontine[/name_f], but not in a bad way. Daherty is the most out-there of the middle names. Honestly, it must be the nicknames that they are commenting on. They are a little too cutesy, imho, but at least they are just nicknames for children… Definitely odd reactions. I have seen FAR weirder names on social media than these. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I think yeah, it’s probably the nicknames. But hey I don’t mind. THe names are all wonderful!

1 Like

Unfortunately, if you put yourself and your family on the internet then you’re bound to face criticism for something.

I love [name_f]Leontine[/name_f]. The other names are not my style but they sound like pretty typical American names to me. Maybe it’s just the way the names were presented, with the “cutesy” nicknames, and people thought it was some kind of pun?

2 Likes

Good point. While I know it happens, it still makes little sense to me how people can be so destructive toward other people and take very little (if any) time to think things through. Seems like many lack common sense and manners. Maybe the “anonymity” of the internet makes some of them “brave” enough to say things they wouldn’t dare say to others faces. Although there are certainly some out there who would have no problems tearing people down to their faces.

2 Likes

I like them! Especially [name_f]Leontine[/name_f] “[name_f]Lala[/name_f]” and [name_u]Fallon[/name_u]. People can be horrible, such a shame and especially in times like these :cry:

[name_f]My[/name_f] children have fairly unusual names and the worst we get is “That’s… unusual“ (head tilt). It doesn’t really bother me — we all have different tastes — but I appreciate that people are generally polite and restrained about it IRL.

@AdroitArtemis and @shells15 are right: the relative anonymity of the internet can really bring out the worst in people. That’s what we try so hard to avoid here (and, hopefully, manage the vast majority of the time!)

5 Likes

It just occurred to me, could the nicknames be some kind of drug wordplay? “[name_f]Lala[/name_f]” is slang for cannabis, “coco” means cocaine and “rolly” is a hand-rolled cigarette. Coincidence?

1 Like

:thinking: I haven’t heard of these but you might be right! That would explain why there are so many negative comments. Seems odd otherwise, because the names really aren’t that wild.

5 Likes

I’m not a fan of the nicknames, but their full names are great! Unfortunately that’s social media for you, especially ones like TikTok and Twitter, just full of people being horrible and negative. That’s why I avoid those two as much as possible and try to stay away from comments on Instagram too.

1 Like

I have heard of coco for cocaine, but not the other two. I am pretty out of it as far as drug slang goes, but seeing as most of tiktok is angsty 13 year olds, I would hope I know more than they do! There were specific comments making fun of [name_u]Fallon[/name_u] and [name_m]Albert[/name_m] though.

2 Likes

I think it’s terrible people would respond that way, however I follow a name page that posts lists of things like ‘old fashioned names’ ‘nature names’ ‘word names’ etc. that contains a few unusual names but mainly has names that are on th cusp of popularity (names like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m] etc) and without fail the majority of comments are negative because people aren’t familiar with the names, and most people go on to mention how their kid got a normal name and how these names are akin to child abuse, what terrible parents etc. But In my experience people in real life are much more excepting and understanding than an anonymous internet mob.

Agree!

[name_f]Imagine[/name_f] if everyone was named with the same list of 10 names, it would get boring really quick! That’s why unusual names are so refreshing and pretty much needed. You need to get out of your little box and explore a little bit to see how amazing names can be when you open your mind! That’s why I love nameberry, everyone is so open and we see so many unusual names that are becoming normal to us!

Anyway, no one should ever bully a child or anyone for their name! It’s okay to not like it, but keep it to yourself.

1 Like

@katinka
Thank you for this. I spent so long only looking at this site because of the reactions I’ve received or seen on other sites. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom has trouble posting anything on our neighborhood site b/c so many are practically eviscerated on there just for posting a bit of info (I was when I posted on her behalf). I have not found that on this site at all, and am glad to have a site where I can post something without worrying about negativity. Thank you so much for keeping this site inviting, welcoming and encouraging.

1 Like