Tillman

Ok, I have to admit - I complain about the trendy last names as first names but at the same time, I like it. I grew up with a first name for a last name (as did my mom, grandmom, great-grandmom) so I think it would be fun to reverse the trend.

I know I should probably only use a last name that’s already a family name, but I’ve ruled most of them out for various reasons.

Today I came back to a name I’ve liked before: [name]Tillman[/name]. I can find nothing about it! It hasn’t been ranked by the SSA for almost 100yrs (and even then wasn’t very popular). I have no idea what it means.

Previously, DH and I have liked [name]Miller[/name] and recently [name]Griffin[/name]. We also like [name]Rowan[/name] (I posted about that name) which also is traditionally a surname.

My first thought was that you were honoring [name]Pat[/name] [name]Tillman[/name], the soldier who was killed under friendly fire in Iraq, and who has become a symbol of the war. This may or may not be an issue for you, but I thought I’d mention the association just in case.

I’m also wondering if he’ll be called [name]Tilly[/name], which is all girl to me. Hmm…

I do think it’s a handsome surname, and if you’re not bothered by people possibly assuming he’s named in honor of [name]Pat[/name] [name]Tillman[/name], I don’t see why you couldn’t use it.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I always google names I like to see what comes up and what people will associate with it and that is the #1 thing that comes up. I had thought of the name years ago (before the soldier died) but was reminded of it today as I was listening to the music of j. tillman.

I’m not crazy about it because of the [name]Tilly[/name] association being a bit girly for me, but I think it’s a name that could grow on me. Have you considered [name]Truman[/name]? I think it’s such a handsome name.