Time travel novel's heroine name...please help!!!

See the results of this poll: Main character’s name

Respondents: 22 (This poll is closed)

• Felicity (Lys for short) : 9 (30%)
  • Grace (Gray for short) : 3 (10%)
  • Greyson (Grey for short) : 0 (0%)
  • Rosalina (Ro for short) : 3 (10%)
  • Gillian/Jillian : 4 (13%)
  • Aurelia : 4 (13%)
  • Kendall : 2 (7%)
  • Annie: 5 (17%)

[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Dawson[/name] sounds great. Its sweet and spunky and it was used 300 years ago plus it has a great meaning. I would avoid names that end in “N” like [name]Dawson[/name]. I think it would help to match the name to your characters personality.

If she’s going to be traveling through time I would say go with one of the classics on your list, like [name]Annie[/name] (my favorite), [name]Aurelia[/name], or [name]Felicity[/name]. Names like [name]Greyson[/name] and [name]Kendall[/name] are relatively modern for girls so if she were to travel back to say, the 1800s or 1500s she would really stand out with a name like that. I also don’t like [name]Grace[/name] [name]Dawson[/name] because I hear the obvious S sound a lot in both names. My vote would be to [name]Annie[/name] [name]Dawson[/name], then [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Dawson[/name].

[name]Felicity[/name] ([name]Lys[/name] for short) - This could work, but I wouldn’t use it for this particular character because of [name]Felicity[/name] Merriman, the American Girl book character. But this could be generational and a rather specific reference many wouldn’t care about.
[name]Greyson[/name] ([name]Grey[/name] for short) - Sounds the worst with [name]Dawson[/name]
[name]Rosalina[/name] ([name]Ro[/name] for short) - Same number of syllables as [name]Felicity[/name], but seems frillier and seems to drag on. [name]Rose[/name] names in general are a bit overdone, [name]IMO[/name].
[name]Grace[/name] ([name]Gray[/name] for short) - Doesn’t sound the best with [name]Dawson[/name]
[name]Annie[/name] - I’m neutral about it. But it’s classic and could work here.
[name]Aurelia[/name] - My second favorite!
[name]Kendall[/name] - The last syllable of [name]Kendall[/name] and the first syllable of [name]Dawson[/name] don’t flow together well.
[name]Jillian[/name]/[name]Gillian[/name] - My favorite! It’s spunky and suits an adventurous heroine (I don’t know your heroine’s personality, but that’s my general impression). The -n sound at the end of both doesn’t bother me here because the syllables are varied and [name]Gillian[/name] [name]Dawson[/name] doesn’t sound as singsongy and rhyming as [name]Greyson[/name] [name]Dawson[/name]. Plus, the names don’t look too similar when written next to each other like [name]Greyson[/name] and [name]Dawson[/name] do.

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Annie[/name] reminds people of The Hunger Games’ [name]Annie[/name] too much? Because this is a completely different story and it’s not inspired by THG at all.

…The Hunger Games had an [name]Annie[/name]? LOL

I read all three books and don’t remember her at all! [name]Annie[/name] is such a commonplace name [name]IMO[/name] that no one will associate it with another specific book unless the two characters bear really close, obvious similarities.

ETA: I just remembered Annie! Finnick’s wife, haha. Still, I don’t think it will be a problem. Annie in THG isn’t really a major character. She’s only in the third book and unless your heroine is mentally ill and has frequent panic attacks and hallucinations I don’t think anyone will make the connection.

I like [name]Felicity[/name] but rather than nn [name]Lys[/name] I prefer [name]Flick[/name]! I think [name]Flick[/name] [name]Dawson[/name] sounds spunky and I can see her moving between times and alternating between [name]Felicity[/name] and [name]Flick[/name] :slight_smile: