Title and Blurb Game

So, you can give the name of a story you’re writing, thinking about writing, or randomly pops into your head. Then the next poster gives a blurb (please keep it appropriate!) for a made-up story they think of when they hear the title and give the next one. Ex:

P1: And Then the Tree Fell

P2: Rowena has been searching for something ever since that eventful night all those years ago. What was it? She can’t remember. When was it? Not that either. All she can recall was the sickening thud of the branches, the faint screams from someone, the wild leaves in the wind. That is, until she meets Marlys, the mysterious girl in the tree who seems to have something to do with her past. But one night, Rowena looks for Marlys, and she’s gone. And then the tree fell. (P.S. you don’t have to put the title in the blurb though)

The Path of Lightning (use this)

9 Likes

The Path of Lightning

Life just goes by way too fast. You take only one out of an infinite number of possible paths, and before you know it, it’s over. You take a step back and there it is, in all its glory, the life you’ve built from the choices you made, more often than not without realising what you’re doing. And you weren’t unhappy. But now that it is done and over and you see the bigger picture, see the paths you did not take unfold before you into an uncountable number of branches like a bolt of lightning that’s burning itself into your eyes, the infinite possible lives you could have lived, it’s breathtaking.
If you could go back now and change the path you chose, would you?

I hope I did this right :slight_smile:

next: No love, but XOXO

(You did ;))

No [name_u]Love[/name_u], but XOXO

He loves me, he loves me not. Thespian, [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] Anrhodes, is in love. There’s only one problem: she doesn’t know who she’s in love with. At her drama club, this man shows up every night behind a curtain, talking with her and pulling her deeper and deeper into his traps. Finally, she’s determined to find out who he is. And when she does, will she really want to know?

Next: To the Lands Beyond

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] has lived for their whole lives with her father in their hot air balloon, far away from the danger of the feared lands of [name_f]Cambaria[/name_f] below. But one day, her father is kidnapped by the notorious [name_u]Sky[/name_u] Pirates, and in order to save him, [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] must descend to the lands her father has warned her about. [name_m]Lio[/name_m], an apprentice who she meets, shows her that [name_f]Cambaria[/name_f] is not at all what she believed it was, and the two set out on the quest to save [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]'s father.

Next: [name_f]Summer[/name_f] Camp is Over Now (this is an actual story I’m writing, so please don’t steal the title)

[name_f]Summer[/name_f] Camp Is Over Now

[name_f]Livie[/name_f] is haunted by that summer all those years ago. The screams, the cold, the icy black darkness. But when she makes it to Riverhigh, [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], all that changes. She meets handsome [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] Jolare, a journalist for the local newspaper. [name_f]Ada[/name_f] Spincer, the eccentric baker at her cafe, The Book and Biscuit. And she meets little [name_f]Annie[/name_f], a sickly, fragile foster child who she falls in love with. But despite all these new, eye-opening experiences, will she ever truly escape that night at summer camp?

Next: When the Last [name_u]Leaf[/name_u] Hits the Ground

When the Last [name_u]Leaf[/name_u] Hits the Ground

Of course I couldn’t just be normal. Normal people fall in love with other people, but not me. I fell in love with autumn. It was far into [name_u]August[/name_u] when I first met them, the sun was just going down, the wind getting stronger, and as I pulled my light jacked tighter around me on my way home, I noticed their presence as clearly as if they were a person standing right in front of me. It was love at first sight. We enjoyed every minute together, I taught them to love the people and they taught me to love life. With every day, we grew closer. But I always knew it couldn’t be forever. [name_f]Autumn[/name_f]'s days were numbered, three months we would have together, and then, when the last leaf would hit the ground, autumn would be gone.

next: Starcrossed and Sunburnt

[name_u]Cass[/name_u] and [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] meet in the most unromantic way possible: she’s selling aloe vera at the local health-and-beauty shop, and he’s sunburnt redder than a lobster. Plus, they’re as different as can be. But after they realize they were both involved in a long-ago neighborhood scandal, they start to realize that there’s more to each other than they thought.

Next: Stage of [name_m]Fire[/name_m] and Ice

3 Likes

Bumping cause this thread is fun :slight_smile:

Bumping… anyone?

I’m sorry I am so out of ideas :smiley:

Stage of [name_m]Fire[/name_m] and Ice

[name_f]Arissa[/name_f] has wanted to be a dancer all her life, twirling across the famed stages of her beloved city-state. She’s always thought she would do anything to pursue her dream. So after a lucky bet and a mostly white lie, [name_f]Arissa[/name_f] finds her way into a musical with the best of the best. But things aren’t always what they seem to be. Most of the people she works with ridicule and backstab each other, and the ones that don’t scare her even more. A mysterious child lurks in the theater in the middle of the night. The stakes get even higher as tensions between the cast increase and strange disasters start occuring. [name_f]Arissa[/name_f] is left to either dive into the fire of rising conflicts, or face the ice of abandoning all she’s ever dreamed.

(That was shoddy off the top of my head but at least I tried)

What We Used to Be

1 Like

What We Used to Be

More than twenty years ago, five children made the local news for an incident that changed the courses of each of their lives, leaving them afraid of the forest outside town. Except… none of them remembered anything more than brief snippets of the night they disappeared for twelve hours. Now, each of them has taken a path in life much different than all the others, until word reaches them through family that the same incident has happened again.
This time, only two children returned. And the things that they remember unlock memories in the original victims’ minds that change everything as they all gather back in the town they left years ago.
There are forces in those woods that put far more than a handful of people at risk, and a few foggy memories might be the only key to fighting them.

Snapdragons and Cobwebs

2 Likes

@midwinter I’d read that. Sounds like a mix of Stranger Things and The Interestings :slight_smile:

Snapdragons and Cobwebs

After the death of her aunt, Marille finds herself faced with an impossible task: To clean out the house in the countryside she left her. At first, she wants this to be over as soon as possible, sell the house and go back to her life in the city. But after spending some time sorting through the old photographs in the attic, the huge unkept garden and the books in the cellar, she’s not so sure any more. Somewhere between cobwebs and snapdragons, she descovers the story of her family, of her mother’s childhood, and a part of herself. [name_m]Will[/name_m] she change her mind and stay, or is it time to finally let the past be?

next: Questioning

@cato893: I really want to read that book!

Questioning

Growing up in a very conservative [name_m]Christian[/name_m] home, [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] doesn’t know how to feel the day she finally makes up her mind about herself: she’s bicurious. Her younger sister doesn’t understand that she’s “straight, but isn’t opposed to dating a girl”, and there’s no way [name_m]Eli[/name_m] will ever tell her parents. She’s lost, and doesn’t have anyone to go through this with. But after she dares to meet other “questionings” at an LGBTQ+ support group, she finds [name_u]Lennon[/name_u], who she may be starting to fall in love with… and that just raises all sorts of other doubts and questions for [name_m]Eli[/name_m] to figure out.

Next title: The Meticulously Recorded Happenings of [name_f]Millie[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]

1 Like

The Meticulously Recorded Happenings of [name_f]Millie[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]

I knew [name_f]Millie[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]. I’d seen her toothy smile, watched her roll her baby blue eyes a thousand times. I’m not going to tell you who I am, because I don’t know if you had anything to do with her disappearance. I’d seen the endless chewing of the nails, the shadows that would cross her face from time to time in the weeks before she went missing. So I’m going to tell you everything that she said or did in this past month, in hopes to figure out what happened to her. I’m going to tell you how she went missing, what the cops and search parties have found. I’m going to tell you what it did to her friends, her family, and all of us in her teensy town of [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] [name_u]Grove[/name_u]. Most importantly, I’m going to get her back.

Immortal Fame

2 Likes

Immortal Fame

It’s been 90 years since the war, which [name_f]Anne[/name_f] used her magic to end. But that came with a cost.
Her mortality, until she can find a replacement to help control the powers that only [name_f]Anne[/name_f] is currently capable of using to keep an ancient evil contained.
She’s watched her friends age. She doesn’t know when or if she’ll be able to pass on her responsibility. Known as a hero, she’s given up everything for the kingdom, willingly- yet the royal family keeps her under lock and key, paranoid she’ll back out if given the resources to do so.
Torn between memories of those she loved most, responsibility to the kingdom she gave up her mortality to save, and a wish for revenge that’s growing stronger and stronger, [name_f]Anne[/name_f] is about to learn the consequences of believing one can control things better left to rot.
Hopefully, her home won’t be the cost.

I Never Discovered Why

Thirty years ago, for my birthday, my mother took me to the beach - and left me there.
Three days ago, my foster parents handed me the letter from the hospital informing me she had died. The woman who, in my worst moments, I first hated and later pitied, and in my best, had forgotten existed. She, who had made the first years of my live heaven and had made them hell, was now experiencing either from first hand, leaving me here with more questions than ever and finally no way left to ever figure them out.
Did I even know her?
Did anyone?

next: For the night is dark and full of terrors

1 Like

“…for the night is dark, and full of terrors.” [name_f]Lux[/name_f] remembers hearing that a million times growing up, spoken as a warning to the children. And she remembers her sister clutching her close, remembers hearing the mocking voice of something not human whispering those same words right before the world went dark.

Now she’s awake.

And the world is different. [name_f]Lux[/name_f] has been twisted into something new, an experiment gone right when all the others, including her sister, went wrong. She’s a survivor.

Where do you run when the entire world has become night, and you are the terror?

Next title: All the Songs They Tried to Kill

1 Like

All the Songs They Tried to Kill

[name_f]Callia[/name_f] and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] were sisters from the start. Not in blood, not biologically, but sisters through-and-through. Musicians at precocious ages–[name_f]Callia[/name_f] plucking her first violin at 4, [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] with her piano at 5–together they dreamed their biggest, most outlandish dreams. Carnegie [name_m]Hall[/name_m] by 18. [name_u]Sydney[/name_u] [name_f]Opera[/name_f] House by 20. Of course, they would do all of this, pursue every fantasy, together.

But when a head-on collision debilitates [name_f]Callia[/name_f], rendering her hands incapable of holding a fork, much less a violin’s bow, [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] must decide: [name_m]Will[/name_m] she let the music die? Or will she play on?

Next Title: She Has Many Names

2 Likes

They called her monster
What is time but smoke and mist?
They called her conqueror
What is glory but bones and ash?
They called her queen
What is destiny but light and illusion?

[name_f]Azenor[/name_f] [name_m]Kane[/name_m] hasn’t always been beloved by the masses. Once, she was just a girl from a small fishing village. Now, she is [name_f]Queen[/name_f] of Thislian, but being queen isn’t what she thought it would be…

Not very good, but this is fun :slight_smile:

Mine: [name_m]Night[/name_m] and [name_u]Storm[/name_u]