To 3 or not to 3 - that is the question!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries! We are blessed to have 2 beautiful girls, age 2 and 7 months :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart: While my husband is pretty adamant we’re done having babies (although he still hasn’t booked himself in for the snip so he can’t be that adamant haha) I find myself fantasising about having a third baby :face_holding_back_tears: For anyone else in the same predicament or who made that leap from 2 to 3… any words of wisdom as to how we make such a momentous decision? It felt like having a second was a no-brainer but having a third needs to be a carefully thought out and completely amicable decision! What are the main considerations? Any pros and cons? Any research out there relating to sibling numbers and family happiness later in life? (Also entirely possible I just wanna name more babies cus I love the baby naming process :laughing:) x

1 Like

I went for a third and I definitely don’t regret it.
[name_f]My[/name_f] situation was a bit different because I had twins as my first pregnancy so I technically have two first borns.

I think a lot will depend on your home/car situation and maybe on the gender of your third born.

[name_u]Will[/name_u] it be ok for the 3 of them to share a room? [name_u]Or[/name_u] will 2 share a room and one have their own? [name_u]Or[/name_u] everyone have their own?
If you have a boy he will likely want his own room at some point.

[name_u]Will[/name_u] you need to get a bigger car? Two kids can fit in the backseat of a small car but it’s a tight fit with three. Almost impossible with bulky carseats.

They say that 3 is the most stressful number of children to have but that hasn’t really been my experience. (Newborn twins were way more stressful)

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are both the oldest from families of two kids and I always wanted more than two.

The main differences have been when going out there is no longer a hand for each of them or one parent per child. It does make it more challenging but you get used to it.

Your children are very young so you may even need to get a double stroller and wear the baby or have the toddler (maybe age 3 or so by then?) walk.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] some things to think about.

2 Likes

We have two boys, 9 and almost 3, and are in the same boat. I was planning the 3rd when the 2nd was a newborn. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is confident he is done, but same as yours, hasn’t made the appointment and told me he wouldn’t completely deny me a 3rd. However, anytime it gets brought up I can feel him cringe! That makes me feel like sooner than later and then other times makes me think I need to wait until #2 is a little more self sufficient. I know the jump to 3 would be more work on me and I’m ok with that, but some days I do think maybe he is right??? I still know deep down I will regret not having one more. It’s a tricky thing. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you posted this and curious to read others reply!

1 Like

I dont have any wisdom to share as we are kind of in the same boat. But I can share what we have been discussing as we debate about baby number 3.

Our first and biggest concern is our first two kiddos. Our first little one is super laid back and easy, our second is a little diva, and they are both still very young (3 & 2) So we worry at this point adding a 3rd would cause our first childs needs to be over looked, and our second child would most likely have a hard adjustment from being ‘mamas baby’ (as she likes to refer to herself). So we would like them both to be a little older and more dependent, and mature enough to at least grasp what it will mean to have another baby before we start trying for a 3rd.

Our second concern is the practical stuff like finances and car space. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is currently working on his doctorate so our finances are pretty scarce, and while we would definitely have enough money to have a third child at this time, again we want to make sure our first 2 have everything they need from us financially now and in the future. Including things like money for family vacations, lessons for things they are interested in, if one of them needs braces, or glasses etc. those are all things we want to be sure we have funds for. Also we currently have a car that could fit 3 carseats. But it would be super tight. So we would like to either be in a position where purchasing a new car would be a huge set back to our finances, our have our oldest be our of carseats altogether.

And on a more personal/selfish note. Since this would probably be our last baby. I would like my older two to be independent enough I could soak in all of the baby things for one last time.

Sorry I don’t have more practical experience but hope this helps.