too late to change my son's name?

he’s 7 months old and the name we chose is way too popular. i kind of want to change it…maybe not on his birth certificate, but just what he’ll go by. thoughts???

and by the way, even though i want to change his name i still can’t think of what will be better than his popular name. boys names are just so hard for me.

he is named: eric james christian, but he goes by james or rather, jamesy, since he’s a baby. eric is after his dad, and christian we just thought was cool. wanted to do something since we were giving him such common names, we thought 3 instead of 2 would make him different. the prob is that now i hear “james” everywhere…and of course i do since it’s been either top 10 or top 20 for the last 100 years. help!!!

Well you could get [name]Rick[/name] out of [name]Eric[/name], [name]Jim[/name] and [name]Jimmy[/name] out of [name]James[/name], and [name]Chris[/name] out of [name]Christian[/name], but all of those are kind of boring nicknames. I like just [name]James[/name] better than all of them. The one unusual nickname I can think of out of that name is [name]Kit[/name], which I love. It’s a vintage nickname for [name]Christopher[/name], and I don’t see any reason why you can’t use it for [name]Christian[/name].

It’s not too late to change his name if you truly want to but I think the name you chose is very handsome and will be one that will suit him forever-not just as a baby, teenager, or adult. It’s a name to grow with. I was thinking you could call him “EJ” if you wanted something different but not odd, or even “JC” from [name]James[/name] [name]Christian[/name]. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

after a night of sleeping on it, i think we’d be willing to change his name officially. we’ll keep james, of course, cause he already responds to it. but we’ll drop eric and add a new middle name. then we can slowly shift from calling him james to his middle name and if as an adult her prefers james, that’s fine, or if family still wants to call him james it will work too.

so, any good middles for james? i’m liking…

james calloway
james calder
james ciaran
james sullivan
james renny
james remy
james nico

btw, his sister is stella clementine

thank you!

wait, wait… i’m confused. you’re changing your son’s name from [name]Eric[/name] to [name]James[/name] because [name]James[/name] is too popular?
what’s wrong with [name]Eric[/name]? it’s a great name! and not too popular these days…
why don’t you just try out a few different nicknames and see if they stick before officially changing his name?
this seems pretty odd to me. he’s 7 months already! (and [name]Jamesy[/name] is adorable!!)

I agree with pp’s that a new nickname is probably the best option. But before you decide to change it, do you love [name]James[/name]? Is it a name you really love, or did you pick it because you thought it was less common? If you really love [name]James[/name], I’d just call him that. But there are some really nice nickname options: EJ, [name]Jay[/name], [name]Jem[/name], [name]Jamie[/name], etc. And [name]Jamesy[/name] is pretty cute too.

My brothers name is [name]Eric[/name] and he is the only [name]Eric[/name] in his entire class. I don’t think that name is too popular at all. I personally think [name]James[/name] is over used and could lead to people potentially calling him [name]Jimmy[/name]. Why don’t you switch and do [name]Christian[/name] [name]James[/name]? I love the name [name]Eric[/name] either way and think you should keep it!

sorry! what i wrote WAS confusing!!!

he’s eric james christian, but goes by james (one of his current middles, or second first name). we’d drop the eric, move james to first (since we already call him that) and then slowly transition to calling him by his new middle. then, if family balks since they’ve know him as james for 7 mos they can still call him that, but at school, etc. he’ll go by his new middle name.

that’s what i was thinking… but again, prob rants of a crazy mom that has just heard too many people say, “james is my dad’s name!”

also, not as fond of eric as i am of james, but it is his dad’s name so i could get used to it. we’d have an official jr in the family.

anyway…i grew up with an extremely uncommon name and it was very difficult so i guess i was overly cautious with my new baby’s name and now i’m regretting it because it’s just way too common.

thanks again,

merritt

His name is his name. If you want to change it, of COURSE that’s your prerogative, but for me it seems like that ship has sailed. Let him find his own unique nickname if he wants to, or let something new grow organically.

I have a cousin who changed her daughter’s name from [name]Isobel[/name] to [name]Eliza[/name] after four months, and she told me once that her first four months seem so surreal now, like she was a different baby.

my DH is [name]Erik[/name] and I at one point we had a realestate agent named [name]Eric[/name], 2 friends and a lawyer. I also have an unusual name and understand why u want o change the name. If you call him [name]James[/name] anyways I would keep that put it in the first name spot and give him another mn. My daughter is named [name]Lila[/name] (leelah) and at about 6 months I started calling her chi chi mama just as a cute pet thing and she responds to both and is not in the least confused. Babies will respond to many things like baby, bean, honey cakes ect.

[name]James[/name] is a great classic name.

middles: [name]Corbin[/name], corbette, [name]Remy[/name] is ok

If your ultimate goal is to have him go by a new name than I would change his first name and leave [name]James[/name] in it’s current spot.

Hmm…I think you might be obsessing over something that might not be as big an issue as you think. In Kaz Cooke’s very sensible book Up The [name]Duff[/name] (I think it’s called something else in the US) she says that it is really common to love your kids name, then think you’ve made a mistake, and then love it again. Could you focus on the things that made you choose [name]James[/name] in the first place? It’s a classic, beautiful, timeless name and there is a reason why it’s not uncommon. I wouldn’t be so worried about “[name]James[/name] is my Dad’s name” - that’s a whole different generation.

That being said a seven month old will quickly adapt to being called something else. Your family might think you are a bit nutty though!