Too many good ones or not good enough?

For me, there are too many good girls names - I have a hard time picking my (second) favourite!

But for boys names, it feels like every name I like has too many (or one very good) reason(s) not to choose it. I’m left with a long list of maybes but no yeses.

What about yourselves? And does anyone who got past these issues have any advice?

I have too many names for both boys and girls. I think having your partner (or future partner) whittle down the list/offer suggestions is very helpful.

I also think it depends on your naming style. Some are after sound and others sentimentality. Personally, I see myself as far more likely to name my kids [name_f]Susan[/name_f] and [name_m]William[/name_m] than I am to name them [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] and [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] despite loving the latter two because [name_f]Susan[/name_f] and [name_m]William[/name_m] are of great significance to me.

2 Likes

I actually have a few more boy names on my ‘would use’ list then I do girls. I’d use (up to me; not dh!): [name_m]Ewan[/name_m], [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u], [name_u]Julian[/name_u], [name_m]Liev[/name_m], [name_u]Nolan[/name_u] and probably [name_m]Colm[/name_m]…my favorite, but kind of complicated. For girls, I only love [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] & maybe maybe [name_f]Olive[/name_f] enough to use. That all being said, I can absolutely picture having a little daughter named any of those (except on the fence about [name_f]Olive[/name_f]), & being very pleased. All of the boy names, I think I love, but picturing them on my own child seems a little not as special…you know?

2 Likes

I totally get that. I love [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] sooo much for a little girl, but using [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] to honor my dad, [name_m]David[/name_m], is so special that I’d be happier w/it. I like [name_f]Susan[/name_f] & [name_m]William[/name_m], fwiw!

2 Likes

I have plenty of names, but I only have a couple for each gender that I’m 100% sure of as FNs. I like a few others a lot, but I’m not completely settled on them yet. Although I have found when I make combos, certain names keep popping up as first names. I’m just not sure if I’m doing that just to honor someone or because I can’t live without trying for it as a FN.

1 Like

a decade into collecting names and zero progress in my girl name dillema

i could name a whole duggar set of boys, but i can’t even name a girl pup. there are a couple names that i really like - and they are, naturally, not usable in my reality

sighs

1 Like

When I was pregnant with DS1 I had loads of girls names and just two boys names. I don’t know how I would have picked a girl’s name as I had too many favourites.

I’ve managed to reduce my girl’s list but it’s still five first name contenders. I now don’t have a definitive boy’s first name as I’ve used all the good ones now :laughing:

1 Like

Such a good point - it feels so easy to appreciate a good girls name, even if I wouldn’t use it myself.

Boys names though? Many of them bore me to tears. [name_m]Even[/name_m] the uncommon ones just don’t delight me or warm my heart the way so many girls names do. And like you, all it takes is one small flaw and I write the name off - it’s so easy when you’re not in love with a name.

1 Like

I think I find boy names easier, theres so many that I like and would love to use. Im very picky with girls, and it’s really hard for me to find names that I love.

1 Like