Too many honors in one name?

Although we aren’t expecting, DH and I just found a single name that would honor two people. On the one hand, I love that one name (likely a middle) would honor two really important influences and leave room for a completely individual first. On the other hand, I worry that combined honors in one word/name makes it feel like we’re potentially diminishing the honor and making one name work too hard.
So I guess my questions are:
[name_m]Can[/name_m] one name be asked to do too much?
If someone said a single middle name honored you AND a second person, would you still feel honored?
Thanks!

i don’t think there is such thing as honouring too many people!

unless there’s some sort of issue between the two people you’re honouring i don’t see any issue. it would be delighted to learn my name honours two people my parents love, and if i was the honouree it wouldn’t bother me!

5 Likes

I think, if you are able to find a single name that honours more than one person in you life, than go for it. If you’re making up names and it looks forced, then I would honour each person separately.

5 Likes

I think the only time where it gives me pause honouring two people with one name is when it’s more obvious it’s an honour for one person than it is another. For me, for an honour name to work for two people it has to feel equal in the way it honours them.

4 Likes

@hannahhh I do want to honor both people, I guess I just worry that putting both honors into a single middle name might not feel very special for the honoree. I’m glad to know you don’t think it would be an issue!
@shells15 The name is [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] so it’s actually a completely normal name, which I think is maybe the reason I’m struggling! It seems almost too perfect, and maybe I’m just looking for trouble where there is none. Thanks for your response!
@minxtruck Ooh, I definitely agree that saying a name honors two people but then it sounds/looks like one person is favored over another could be trouble. In this case, one honoree has passed and the other is living. Sound wise, it would be the living person who is more obviously honored, because her name is [name_f]Linda[/name_f]. The meaning would honor the second person. (We had been considering [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as a meaning-based honor, so [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] feels like a really good mix of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and Linda.)

1 Like

I think that it’s perfectly fine to honour two people in one name. Also keep the child in mind- it may not seem like much, but my mum named me after someone important in her life and, as I have no middle name, it has been a lot of pressure and I’ve never truly felt like myself with it. That’s just my personal experience though.
Whatever name you pick, I wish you luck! x

I promise there is no such thing as too many honours.

[name_f]Evaluna[/name_f] honours 4 people for me. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] honours 2.

If say my sister named her daughter/son something that honoured both me and a friend, I would feel just as honoured as I would if she had named her child exclusively after me.

1 Like

I don’t think you can honor too many people! I think that’s beautiful that it honors not only one important person in your life, but two! How perfect.

I would still feel honored if someone said it honored me and another person. The fact that someone wanted to honor me in the first place would feel amazing and touching. It wouldn’t bother me to share that honor with someone else.

In my opinion, you can’t honor too many people!

1 Like

This is what we did. [name_f]My[/name_f] son’s middle name honors both my late grandfather and my son’s uncle. [name_f]My[/name_f] side was touched and my BIL was also really happy. Neither side said anything about it honoring two people.

If you can find a name that accomplishes so much, I think that’s really special :heart: