Too masculine?

So I want to know what you all think about this. A little backstory… Up until we found out we were having a girl, I was certain we were having another boy, we started calling her [name]Zeke[/name]. And it stuck.
We’ve got a small list going that we are going to take to the hospital, but this name stands out to me in a way the others don’t. And this is practically the only name that DH and I agree on.
Weird? Too masculine? Maybe paired with a really feminine MN? Any suggestions welcome…

[name]Zeke[/name] is definitely a boy’s name…how about [name]Zara[/name]?

Would you consider using a longer name and shortening it to [name]Zeke[/name]? The name that came to mind is [name]Zakaria[/name]. I think [name]Zeke[/name] is a spunky nickname for a little girl!

I know a little girl named [name]Mackenzye[/name] who goes by [name]Zeke[/name]. I don’t particularly like it, but it could give you the nickname you want.

[name]Zeke[/name] is one of my favorites for a boy. I just read that in Aramaic the name [name]Zeke[/name] means “shooting star”. That meaning could work for a girl. The name still feels masculine to me but I do like some masculine names for girls. I agree with the above poster that a longer more feminine name might be best with [name]Zeke[/name] as a nn. I need to think more about [name]Zeke[/name] standing alone as a girls name.

To be honest I do like boyish names on girls and [name]Zeke[/name] is definately not the most masculine of boys names. It’s one of those names that I feel I think of as a boys name only because I know it is one. When I really think about how it sounds, it could work for either. I mean, people are using [name]James[/name] for girls now so you can definately get away with [name]Zeke[/name]. I think it’s cute.

i love the name [name]Zeke[/name] for a girl. It’s cute and girly, but also quirky. It’s not to masciline at all. The ZE-E-kuh pronunciation makes it more feminine.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Zeke[/name] as a mn? I love unusual names, but this one doesn’t work for me. It is too short and without flexibility for a fallback personality.

I’m a fan of unisex names, and generally don’t care if a name means “son of” if it sounds okay as a girls name. If [name]Madison[/name] isn’t appropriate for a girl due to the meaning, it isn’t for a boy whose mother isn’t named [name]Maud[/name] either. So go for it if you really love it!

Middle names are barely used so it doesn’t make any difference if her middle name is really girly or not.

You could always go with ZK initials and call her [name]Zeke[/name] for short ([name]Zara[/name] [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Zelda[/name] [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Zoe[/name] [name]Katherine[/name], etc.), or even use a name like [name]Zuleika[/name] to reach [name]Zeke[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Way[/name] too masculine! In any situation, such as school, where the teacher receives a list of names before meeting the children, she will always be assumed to be a boy.

Now that you know you’re having a daughter, I would pick out a new name for her. As one or more pps have said, people will expect her to be a boy when they see or hear her name. She would probably have kids telling her (or asking her if she knows) that it’s a boy’s name.

[name]Do[/name] you like any girl names?

I think it is too masculine to be given as a full name but could work as a nickname. Some names to get the nn [name]Zeke[/name]:
[name]Zakia[/name] [name]Zalika[/name] [name]Zelenka[/name] [name]Zuleika[/name]

A cute nn… but only as an endearing name (aka a name the mother calls her child). However, on a birth certificate, or even as a nn used all the time, it is [name]WAY[/name] too masculine.