Too similar sounding for cousins?

[name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Ophelia[/name]?
They would see eachother often.

Not overly, they’re very close though.

Too close for siblings, not too close for cousins, in my opinion. As long as cousins don’t have the same exact name, I feel like anything goes. People will understand that the children have different parents, who happened to like the same sort of sound. I don’t see a problem with that.

I think if they are seeing each other a lot, it’s too much, mainly because you can easily get them confused due to the similar sounding names. It may not bother you, but it might annoy them when someone says [name]Sophia[/name] and both turn their heads because they thought they heard their name…

I don’t think it’s too close. [name]Don[/name]'t let it stop you if you love the name.

They are kind of close, but I don’t think it’s too bad for cousins. Especially if they are different ages and/or one of them has a nickname. If they are the same age and don’t go by nicknames and it doesn’t bother you, then go with the name you love.

Close but not too close! Especially if they have different- sounding nicknames.

i wouldn’t even think twice since they are cousins not sisters.

Not a problem, even if they see each other often.

Some similarities, but that may make them closer! Seriously, my cousins, [name]Melissa[/name] and [name]Larissa[/name], have survived. It helps that they have used different nicknames, [name]Missy[/name] and [name]Rissa[/name]. If you are concerned, I would make sure that they have distinctive nicknames.

Not a problem for cousins. It’s not so unusual for cousins to have the same exact name b/c being named for the same relative, so this doesn’t bother me at all.

My husband’s sister is [name]Christina[/name] and their cousin is [name]Kristen[/name], they are best friends and both at every single family event together and there is no confusion at all. I don’t think it’s an issue at all.

I had a similar problem when my last daughter was born – my niece [name]Neva[/name] had just been born six weeks earlier and we wanted to use [name]Genevieve[/name] with the nickname [name]Viva[/name]. We eventually nixed the nickname and just called her [name]Genevieve[/name], but even still a lot of the other cousins confuse their names. In retrospect, I kind of wish we had gone with our second or third choices ([name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name]).

That said, I don’t think it would have been a problem AT ALL if the girls weren’t so close in age. The other kids see the two babies and would probably have a hard time remembering which was which even if their names weren’t so similar.

[name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Ophelia[/name] definitely isn’t an issue. I see no problem with cousins have the same name, especially if they’re named after a family member.

If [name]Sophia[/name] gets called [name]Sophie[/name] & [name]Ophelia[/name] gets called [name]Leah[/name] it could easily work. But with [name]Sophia[/name] & [name]Ophelia[/name], they girls would get confused a lot and so would other people. It is hard having rhyming names, especially with a family member you see often!!

Thanks for the input! I love the name [name]Ophelia[/name] but I think I am going to put it on the back burner. She would also have a cousin [name]Leah[/name] so shortening the name wouldn’t work and “Oph” or “Ophie” aren’t nicknames I like and I would definitely be shortening it if I have to yell her name, haha.