Too similar to be mother/ daughter?

Are [name_f]Christina[/name_f] and [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] too close for a mother/ daughter pair? MIL also has a name ending in -ina. First daughter does not end in -ina. I’d rather not have the similar ending, but I just really like the name [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]. If you could provide explanations too, as to why you think yay or nay:)
Thanks for your opinions!

1 Like

If you like [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f], use it. It’s a beautiful name.

Your name and her name are not likely to be paired often. Children will talk to her, and adults will talk to you. And around the house, you’ll be Mommy or [name_f]Honey[/name_f] or [name_m]Babe[/name_m].

I say [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] is perfectly usable.

5 Likes

Considering that some parents have the same exact name as their children, I don’t think sharing the same ending is a problem. I think it’s cute, actually. [name_f]Christina[/name_f] and [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] make for a fine mother/daughter pair. And the person above has a good point about you both likely not being called by your first names at the same time much.

A side note: [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] is absolutely lovely.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s problematic at all. [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] is a lovely choice.

1 Like

[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] is so unexpected and lovely :sparkles:

I do not think the names are too similar they feel very different they just share a few endings which isn’t a huge deal in my eyes! Both me and my daughter names end with ia no one cares.

1 Like

I think it’s totally fine

No, they’re not too close.
[name_f]My[/name_f] mom 's name and my name end in the same last syllable / last letters too, it’s not intentional and no one has ever brought it up.

Totally fine, and in fact it would be a lovely connection between the two of you. Both are beautiful names.

1 Like

I think it’s okay - they’re not too close to me.

While they do have -ina at the end, they also:

• don’t match exactly. It’s -stina and -brina and they feel different enough
  • the first sounds are quite pronounced and distinctive
  • they give off different vibes to me which helps. (it’s not like, say, christina and katrina)
1 Like

Not close at all! I understand the hesitation as they both end in -ina but they’re both very different vibes in my opinion!

I also will say I never noticed the -ina ending similarity until you mentioned it so I think most people won’t notice it either!

The only deal breaker for me would be if you solely went by [name_f]Tina[/name_f], your MIL goes by Gina/Dina/whatever it may be, and you plan to call your [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] by [name_f]Brina[/name_f] or [name_f]Rina[/name_f]

If you love it go for it!! :smiling_face:

Not too close at all!

Definitely not, though I could see people occasionally wondering if it was on purpose, especially if they know the mother-in-law too. That being said it doesn’t feel glaringly obvious, and I don’t think anyone would downright assume.

I personally know an Eli$@ with a dad named El1 and someone with the middle name V@ne$sa whose mom is M3liss@, and for both it took me a while to notice, but once I did I did wonder about it a little. I still don’t know if either were intentional and honestly I don’t care enough about it to even ask.

I don’t think it’s a problem at all - despite the same three letter ending, they don’t feel so close. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is a form of my mum’s and no one’s really questioned. If you love the name, you should use it and [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] is darling!

I see nothing wrong with a mother and daughter named [name_f]Christina[/name_f] and [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]! I think it’s a beautiful idea! It creates a sweet but distinct connection between the two. Only the ending sound and letters are the same. The names’ origin, meanings and starting letters are completely different. Not to close at all!

In these situations, I always like to add that men have juniors all the time! Everyone loves to name boys after their fathers and grandfathers. I believe that honoring mothers should be as frequently as honoring fathers! Sometimes, the babies’ mothers get an honor name in the middle name spot an that’s it… [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you wanted to name your daughter [name_f]Christina[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f], [name_f]Christiana[/name_f], [name_f]Kristen[/name_f], [name_f]Christabel[/name_f], [name_f]Kristina[/name_f], [name_f]Crystal[/name_f] or [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] that would not be a terrible choice at all.