Too similar?

Hello berries! I want to talk about [name_f]Nina[/name_f].

I’ve been loving this name recently! However, the fact that “a ninny” means “a stupid person” has been holding me back. I’m a big nickname person so I’d definitely call her just [name_m]Nin[/name_m] too. What do you think? Is [name_f]Nina[/name_f]/[name_m]Nin[/name_m] too close to ninny? Is that even something you’d think about?

I’m mostly looking for answers from people in the UK, but everyone’s opinion is appreciated!

I think it’s fine. Ninny feels like a very outdated word whereas [name_f]Nina[/name_f] is a well established name - [name_f]Nina[/name_f] is so fun and sweet

I agree with pp. Most kids wouldn’t even know the word ninny would be my guess! For me, if I was calling her [name_f]Nina[/name_f] / [name_m]Nin[/name_m], I’d find it super hard not to turn it into [name_f]Ninnie[/name_f] (ninny) just sounds wise, so I wouldn’t use it.

It’s definitely fine. I have an aunt called [name_f]Nina[/name_f], and I’ve never thought about ninny. I agree that kids probably won’t know the word, and even then the sounds are very different.

Ninny wouldn’t even occur to me from the name [name_f]Nina[/name_f] so I think it’s fine!

[name_f]Nina[/name_f]’s lovely, never heard anyone pronounce it the same way as “ninny”.

I’m British, and I think [name_f]Nina[/name_f]’s a great choice — sweet, funky, retro, international, but “normal” too (in a good way!) I’d never think of ninny. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a smart, stylish choice that’s not trying too hard.

I like [name_f]Nina[/name_f]. “Ninny” would never have crossed my mind. They don’t sound anything alike in my pronunciation. [name_m]Nin[/name_m] makes me think of the writer [name_f]Ana[/name_f]ïs [name_m]Nin[/name_m].

I agree that “ninny” is a rather dated word and I certainly don’t hear it used much in everyday speech.

Thank you, everyone! I’m still a little comprehensive about [name_f]Nina[/name_f], becoming [name_m]Nin[/name_m], becoming [name_f]Ninnie[/name_f], but overall I’m much more confident about the name. Thanks again :slight_smile:

I agree with all of the above. I have a close friend named [name_f]Nina[/name_f] and this has never been an issue or even come up. We all call her [name_m]Nin[/name_m] or Ni.

UK here.

[name_f]Nina[/name_f] would never make me think of ninny. It helps that, at least where I live, bunny seems like a very dated insult. I dont think I’ve heard anyone who is currently under 50 use it. Additionally, I would pronounce [name_f]Nina[/name_f] ‘nee-na’ so the sound isn’t even the same.

I don’t think so. Also, [name_f]Nina[/name_f] means ‘girl’ in Spanish.

I would never have ever in a million years put [name_f]Nina[/name_f] and Ninny together. It’s a nonissue.

I don’t think it is too close at all! I say go for it.