too Twilight?

Hello nameberries!
9 weeks to go, and when you think you’ve settled on a name… well, we had thought [name]Alexander[/name] was It, if baby is a boy. But we were reminded of how much we love [name]Edward[/name]! (Great nicknames of [name]Ed[/name], [name]Eddie[/name] and [name]Ned[/name]!)
BUT I already have an [name]Isabel[/name] (and an [name]Abigail[/name]). Now I have not read the books or seen the movie, they don’t interest me, but are people going to think that I am a die-hard Twilight fan if I call my son [name]Edward[/name], when i already have an [name]Isabel[/name] (which is only a tiny bit different to [name]Isabella[/name])?

What are you thoughts?

[name]Edward[/name] is lovely, English and means ‘wealthy guardian’ with a ton of nicknames and loads of history. However, although I think [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Isabel[/name] are gorgeous together, I do agree that they may be too twilight sounding as a sibset. I suppose it wouldn’t be as bad if you where to have [name]Eddie[/name] and [name]Isabel[/name], or [name]Ted[/name] and [name]Isabel[/name] etc, but you would have to use a nn the majority of the time which isn’t what all parents want. Here are a few more unusual suggestions, either variants or names with a similar feel:

[name]Edwin[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name])
[name]Edvard[/name]
[name]Eadward[/name]
[name]Edwardo[/name]
[name]Edgard[/name]
[name]Ederick[/name]
[name]Edmond[/name]
[name]Edson[/name]
[name]Edvin[/name]
[name]Edwald[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name]
[name]Bertram[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name])
[name]Conrad[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name])
[name]Halward[/name]
[name]Eideard[/name]
[name]Leonard[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name])
Ewat
[name]Eudard[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]

Anyway, I hope you find something lovely, even if it isn’t [name]Edward[/name].

Personally, I don’t think it’s too Twilight. In the books and the movies the main character is always referred to as just “[name]Bella[/name],” and we only hear that her name is [name]Isabella[/name] occasionally. Additionally, [name]Edward[/name] isn’t [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Emmett[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Cullen[/name] or [name]Alice[/name]–all names that had been uncommon and regained popularity around the same time as the Twilight books. [name]Edward[/name] is classic and has always been popular. There are so many famous Edwards, Eds, and Eddies, I personally wouldn’t think of [name]Edward[/name] [name]Cullen[/name] first, even though I am a fan of the books. I’d say if you love the name, use it! (And the nickname [name]Ned[/name] is so wonderful!)

In the books and the movies the main character is always referred to as just “Bella,” Additionally, Edward isn’t Jasper, Emmett, Rosalie, Cullen or Alice–all names that had been uncommon and regained popularity around the same time as the Twilight books. Edward is classic and has always been popular.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to say. If you a) don’t typically refer to [name]Isabel[/name] as [name]Bella[/name], b) sometimes use a nickname for [name]Edward[/name] (I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Ned[/name], btw! [name]Ed[/name] and [name]Ted[/name] are great too), and since you c) already have an [name]Abigail[/name] in the mix, so it’s not just [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Isabel[/name], I doubt people will think you’re a Twi-hard! I hope you will use this handsome, classic name if it’s the right one for you!

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to say. If you a) don’t typically refer to [name]Isabel[/name] as [name]Bella[/name], b) sometimes use a nickname for [name]Edward[/name] (I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Ned[/name], btw! [name]Ed[/name] and [name]Ted[/name] are great too), and since you c) already have an [name]Abigail[/name] in the mix, so it’s not use [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Isabel[/name], I doubt people will think you’re a Twi-hard! I hope you will use this handsome, classic name if it’s the right one for you![/quote]

Double ditto!

Thank you nameberry friends! We call [name]Isabel[/name] “[name]Issy[/name]” most of the time, and I do so love [name]Ned[/name] (and [name]Ed[/name] and [name]Eddy[/name]!) as nicknames! So [name]Edward[/name] is definately on the list (again!). Oliviasarah, thanks for your thoughtful list - I love [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Oscar[/name], but they are my nephews! [name]Leonard[/name] is my father-in-law, but it’s one we’ve considered (with the nickname ‘[name]Leo[/name]’!). Other names I loved from your list are [name]Conrad[/name] and [name]Bertram[/name]! (Names ending with s are out due to our surname). I hadn’t thought of [name]Edmond[/name] (just [name]Edmund[/name] with the u), which I like the spelling better, but does not make me feel the same as [name]Edward[/name]!

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your thoughtful comments! All the best!

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to say. If you a) don’t typically refer to [name]Isabel[/name] as [name]Bella[/name], b) sometimes use a nickname for [name]Edward[/name] (I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Ned[/name], btw! [name]Ed[/name] and [name]Ted[/name] are great too), and since you c) already have an [name]Abigail[/name] in the mix, so it’s not use [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Isabel[/name], I doubt people will think you’re a Twi-hard! I hope you will use this handsome, classic name if it’s the right one for you![/quote]

Double ditto![/quote]

Make it a triple! [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Abigail[/name] and [name]Edward[/name] would not make me think of Twilight even though I read the books and saw the movies. I would just think you like vowels. [name]Issy[/name], [name]Abby[/name] and [name]Ned[/name] would be darling together.

Oh thank you, lyndsayjenness! I have always loved [name]Ned[/name] as a nickname! :slight_smile: