Too unique? Alternatives to upcoming trends

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] and it’s cousin [name_f]Viola[/name_f] are becoming very popular. As is the name [name_u]Winter[/name_u] (bc of [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] [name_m]Richie[/name_m]'s baby I think) what do you think of these alternatives? Too alternative?

Wyola instead of [name_f]Viola[/name_f]

Wintry instead of [name_u]Winter[/name_u] (may be more of a boy’s name if anything)

I should say, I’m not really fond of any of [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f] or [name_u]Winter[/name_u] as names to begin with. Wyola is sort of interesting (Polish maybe?) - I wouldn’t care for it being shortened to “Wy”, but as a full name I think I see its appeal.

I’m biased against the season of winter and would never use a winter-themed name anyway, but Wintry has a sort of appealing sound. I agree, maybe a boy name, or a girl’s middle name. I could imagine it being mistaken for a surname if people didn’t think of winter right off the bat.

I considered [name_f]Violetta[/name_f] as an alternative to [name_f]Violet[/name_f], however I don’t think [name_f]Viola[/name_f] and [name_u]Winter[/name_u] are popular at all. I have never met one, never even heard of one.

[name_m]How[/name_m] in the world is [name_f]Viola[/name_f] considered “very popular”? It wasn’t even in the top 1,000 in 2013. There were only 174 babies born with the name in 2013.

Wiola is the Polish form of [name_f]Viola[/name_f]. It’s pronounced VYAW-law, so pretty much the same as [name_f]Viola[/name_f] but, unless you live in an area with a big Polish population, it’d be pronounced wrong constantly.

Wintry is a word, not a name, in my opinion. [name_f]Violetta[/name_f] is a nice alternative to [name_f]Violet[/name_f] though.

The only popular name you listed is [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. There is no way to argue that [name_f]Viola[/name_f] and [name_u]Winter[/name_u] are popular names; last year there were only 174 Violas and 418 [name_m]Winters[/name_m] born in the US…compared with more than 21,000 Sophias. I think this might be a case where you start seeing a name around because you like it, which gives the illusion of popularity.

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] is a lovely name and changing it to Wyola makes it needlessly complicated in terms of spelling and pronunciation. I don’t have anything against Wintry as a name although it seems more like a word than a name…its similarity with other names ending in the -ry sound makes it more name-like.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Winola[/name_f]? It’s even a combo of [name_u]Winter[/name_u] and [name_f]Viola[/name_f], plus you get [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Nola[/name_f] as nicknames :slight_smile:

I agree with pps… [name_f]Viola[/name_f] and [name_u]Winter[/name_u] aren’t popular in the slightest. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because the names are discussed on here doesn’t make them popular. They are not obscure, if that is what you’re after.

I personally much prefer [name_f]Viola[/name_f] to [name_f]Violet[/name_f] or Wyola (not meaning to be rude, but how does one even pronounce that? It just seems like it might be a hassle, what with the kid having to constantly explain how to pronounce and spell it).

As for Wintry, I must say I’m surprised to find myself liking it a lot. I think it’s a sweet name, and rather refreshing.

Just a heads up your comment came off as condescending and pretentious; Hoping that wasn’t intended. To answer your question "how in the world is Viola considered “very popular”’ I guess that all depends on where in the world you live. I live in a stereotypical southern californian town and not only are there two Viola’s in my niece’s pre-school, but a slew of Violet’s as well a Winter!(male). In my life, Viola is a very popular name.

Your concern for the Polish name Wiola being mispronounced is unneeded as I clearly wrote Wyola, a different name, not a new spelling of Wiola.

I am so tired of hearing “that’s a word not a name.” Sound like an 8 year old tattle-tale. Good observation! So is Lily, Mason, Faith, August, Earnest, Robin, May, Eden, etc… Some “words” become “names” and it’s been happening forever. But really they’re all just sounds

It’s called constructive criticism. Don’t take the time to comment if you don’t take the time to read the post and offer an opinion ideally with suggestions. Writing “nms. Prefer Violetta. & Btw those names aren’t popular you’re wrong” dosn’t help at all! Why is it not your style! Why do you prefer Violetta? Where do you live that those names aren’t popular?
Anyway we’re not voting to name the Queen of North America, just throwing around names on a website. With that in mind maybe loose the intensity when something isn’t your style or has any potential link to future misunderstandings or confusion. Also remember that people post on here from around the world and the United States (a huge country) and making blatant statements as fact, that just aren’t true for people in other regions, makes you look ignorant. Thank you everyone else for your comments, I don’t plan on using either name, was just curious what others thought. Ps. life’s too short have fun with it in all capacities. I’d rather be named Buttercakes and have some story behind it or a special meaning to my parents then be called Claire or Emma or Hannah

I prefer Wyola and Wintry. Very cool and wish I had the guts to use Wintry!

I don’t think [name_f]Viola[/name_f] is popular at all. If [name_f]Viola[/name_f] is too close to [name_f]Violet[/name_f] for you then I don’t think changing it to Wyola make it any better. Maybe a full departure to something like [name_f]Wynona[/name_f]/[name_f]Winona[/name_f] would be a better fit. (It sort of have the [name_u]Winter[/name_u] beginning and the a ending from [name_f]Viola[/name_f]).

I’m not fully on board with [name_u]Winter[/name_u] as a name (I also have problems with [name_f]Summer[/name_f] and [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] and I know a couple of each) - so Wintery feels even odder to me. Honestly, it feels like you liked [name_u]Winter[/name_u] but wanted it to be “special-er”.

Maybe you’re just being overly defensive?

After being on this board for a while, people consider a name to be popular just because it’s mentioned on here a lot. There are a lot of board popular names that some consider popular now even though they’re only mentioned on the boards and aren’t used often in real life.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] because [name_f]Viola[/name_f] was used at least twice in your stereotypical town doesn’t mean it’s actually popular. One could use the 3,000th most popular name for their daughter and she could still end up with a girl in her class with the same name.

I fully realize that you wrote Wyola and not Wiola but to me, Wyola just looks like a creative take on Wiola.

Are you really that upset that I called wintry a word? Like I said, to me, it’s just a word.

Handing out facts about names isn’t negative (like mentioning the stats about [name_f]Viola[/name_f]). Some people genuinely do not realize how unpopular a name is and for a lot of people, mentioning the stats behind a name actually is helpful.

I can tell from the tone of your response you got my point. Everyone’s situation is unique. There’s a way to point out information without sounding holier than thou thus my dry response. I also think there are more effective ways to communicate ideas than just saying no or saying something is bad without an explanation.

If you want something in the same vein as [name_f]Viola[/name_f], with the V sound and shakespeare ties, maybe you could consider [name_f]Verona[/name_f]? Its a place name but it doesn’t seem like you’d have an aversion to that. I think its strong, unique, and interesting, but still very accessible.

Zoz_zoz, I’m sure Casilda didn’t mean anything offensive in her post. I’ve read it and can’t see anything but her opinion on the names you listed.

I do understand that it’s easy to misconstrue tone/language on the internet though and that that’s what’s probably happened here! :slight_smile: In future, if you have a problem with something that someone has said, please PM me and I’ll take a look at it. Arguments started on threads - even if they were started accidentally or for innocent reasons - will lead to the thread being closed. I don’t want to have to close yours :slight_smile:

Buuut… I didn’t get the point of your post? You singled me out for having an opinion no different than anyone else that has replied.

Please don’t bother replying to this, I’m not interested in debating any further and don’t want you to waste your time replying. I hope you get some good suggestions for alternatives to [name_u]Winter[/name_u] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f]/[name_f]Viola[/name_f].

Sorry to be a bother. I didn’t think this had escalated to anything other than a disagreement but I understand people don’t want to be subjected to the back and forth banter the internet seems to spawn. [name_f]My[/name_f] problem wasn’t with the poster’s opinion, but the overall negative/self-righteous tone and lack of suggestions/explanations that pertained to the thread. Some posters tend towards an unnecessarily intense and aggresive style often without much insight to offer. Although I agree that baseless arguments accompanied with hatred and profanity should be taken down, I disagree that disputes should be taken down. Especially since the aforementioned dispute was discussing posting etiquette and improvement. I do think the thread creator should be given some leeway with debates as whoever posts is on the “thread creator’s territory”. When I receive a response I don’t like I think I should be allowed to tell the person and why; in an attempt to make the most out of my Questions/threads. Looking back I shouldn’t have singled out that poster as many others left negative somewhat useless responses; Their post just fit all the criteria for how we shouldn’t be posting. All that being said, I’ll keep the banter to a minimum and I know in the end the site monitor’s decide what fly’s. Sorry for causing trouble and thanks for listening :slight_smile: