Traditional Irish First Name Inspiration Required

Weirdly my first LO name only made one list previous posters! I’m impressed but didn’t get it was that uncommon as an Irish name choice :grinning: making this hard to choose a Top 5 for each gender…otherwise I’d be here with a Top 50 :laughing:

**Girl Top 5 (no order)
Órla, [name_f]Sinéad[/name_f], Áine, [name_f]Brighid[/name_f]/Brigid and [name_f]Sorcha[/name_f] (which might likely get vetoed)

Boy Top 5 (no order)
[name_m]Diarmaid[/name_m], Daithí, [name_u]Darragh[/name_u]/Dara/Dairé, [name_m]Mícheál[/name_m] and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]**

@TeaJay thank you so much for your extensive list!

Artemis31 EllArePea GenevieveReine Kipperbo1 thank you all for giving me some ideas! :grinning: I’m starting to think repeat names are more popular and easier for a reason.

@GenevieveReine I could easily see a [name_f]Brighid[/name_f] with my first little one. I feel like it’s very timeless!

katinka could definitely see an [name_f]Enya[/name_f] or [name_f]Eithne[/name_f] reference which makes life easier for LO2

Artemis31 i don’t know if I could do a hard K for [name_m]Cillian[/name_m]. It goes from [name_m]Cillian[/name_m] [name_u]Murphy[/name_u] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: to the actor [name_u]Killian[/name_u] [name_u]Scott[/name_u].

elleplume I like [name_f]Ro[/name_f] but it reminds me of a few pubs over the years :sweat_smile: I’ve read that Roisé is also trendy now but reminds me too much of Rosé - not that’s a problem - but alcohol < kid. Kind of similar to [name_u]Fionn[/name_u].

3 Likes

I love your top 5 picks! I love Irish names as well so this was an excuse to do a deep dive into Irish names.

1 Like

I understand about the hard K. Either way [name_m]Cillian[/name_m] is awesome.
[name_f]Orla[/name_f] is so pretty I hope you pick [name_f]Orla[/name_f] :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

@anon25197097 fingers crossed I can get my DH on board for Órla or one of the “ne” sounding names. :grin::grin::grin:

Just trying to get him past [name_m]Keith[/name_m] at the moment (in no way would this meet the criteria we agreed on, does not have [known] Irish background, doesn’t know any Keiths and might be trying to take the p out of the naming process :grimacing:).

1 Like

Do let us know! :star_struck:

1 Like

My name is [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] and my twin sister’s name is [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]. We absolutely love having such a traditional Irish names and always get so many compliments.

2 Likes

I have an [name_m]Eoin[/name_m] named for his grandfather, [name_m]John[/name_m]. It does have a bit of that ending that you don’t like. I live in the US and get what you mean about the pronunciations. I just tell everyone silent E and everything else is phonetic. Once people know, they know and are fine.

I also like [name_m]Cillian[/name_m] for baby #2, but husband doesn’t really. I also like [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for a boy. It is more Scottish, but we are considering [name_u]Callum[/name_u].

I am in agreement with everyone that I love [name_f]Orla[/name_f], but I don’t like it with our last name. It isn’t hard to pronounce and you don’t hear babies being named this anymore, but what about [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], like the river?

1 Like

I’m really being sold on Órla for a girl at the moment.

@ahart1016 Hmm definitely food for thought! I don’t mind [name_m]Eoin[/name_m] at all! I’m not a fan of the “en” names like [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_u]Brayden[/name_u], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] etc. Is [name_u]Shannon[/name_u] considered male or female?

I have the same [name_m]Cillian[/name_m] problem as you. DH isn’t convinced. [name_u]Callum[/name_u] is a nice name!

@arknoth I love [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] but it’s already being “used” by someone I know!

1 Like

If you like [name_m]Eoin[/name_m], there is also the [name_m]Eoghan[/name_m] spelling, but pronounced exactly the same. That name is actually related to [name_u]Owen[/name_u]/Ewan/Eugene and like I said before, we chose our spelling to honor a [name_m]John[/name_m]. I think [name_u]Shannon[/name_u] is technically used for both genders, but I have personally only known a few female Shannons. You could choose which gender you like it best for it if you like it. Let us know what you decide on! I love Irish names, but am having a hard time settling on a boy name for baby two. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] two is so much harder!

1 Like

@ahart1016

I can get behind that! I’m not interested in popular vs meaning. We did something similar (honour name) for LO1.

Now there’s free reign for LO2 it is definitely harder! Are you in the same boat?

Yes, same! Anyone that we would want to honor for baby 2 doesn’t have a great name :rofl: Lots of old lady and old man names. We don’t find out the gender, so it is always a lot to think about. Our top girl name last time was [name_f]Cara[/name_f], an Irish name, but super easy to pronounce. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband still likes it, but I still feel it was connected to my first pregnancy and don’t feel drawn to it this time. So far, our top girl name this time is [name_f]Meara[/name_f], more of an Irish surname that has been becoming a first name. I also have Italian heritage and like [name_f]Lia[/name_f], but I know that doesn’t follow any of your rules :wink:

Cara is such an underused but straightforward name! I see a lot of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] or [name_f]Claire[/name_f] names so hopefully it’s seen as a good alternative soon!

Most Italian names are very “a/o” centred right? :grinning: They’re not named after kids being yelled at for bad behaviour in the shops - they’re fine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like