Traditional Irish First Name Inspiration Required

Hi,

I’m looking for some inspiration for LO2. I’d like to think I’ve covered every popular Irish naming website but open to some ideas :bulb: This will be an essay post, but please bear with me.

I’m Irish Australian and my OH is a Gaeilgeoir.

LO1 has a traditional Irish name which was used to honour a relative. I love it and love how names have beautiful means (or even cool history references).

One of the biggest downfalls to using traditional Irish names, in Australia, are people making anti Irish comments (not that common but sometimes people say things like “why didn’t you pick an [name_f]English[/name_f] name or that’s a weird name :sweat:”). And pronunciation…most people at doctors or important places will allow me to write the pronunciation but others make zero effort or be smart about it.

Some people find choosing traditional Irish a bit of a hot topic for past political and cultural issues. I think you should embrace your history and not worry about other people too much. I love Irish mythology and there are a lot out of potential names there. OH is limited to wanting to name solely after family again. The name of LO2 would have to be suitable in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] and in Australia.

My naming “rules”:

My pet peeve —NO AMERICANISED IRISH NAMES - I’m mindful a lot of posters here are probably American (and might like this trend) but I’m not a fan of Irish surnames as first names or Americanised Irish names. It won’t flow with LO1.

No “en” ending names. I know a lot of children (that I went to school with or even just around LO1)…I’m not enamoured with the ending.

I don’t mind fadas (accents in the name). LO1 has a fada in their name.

I have middle names picked out which are [name_f]English[/name_f]. If my LOs are finding trouble with jobs or people bullying them, they have a traditional style name to fall back on.

I’m not really looking for a popular name to “keep it simple for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers”, but it just needs to fit LO1. That said I don’t think a name needs to be super complicated either… :thinking:

Vetoed names:
[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] - OH didn’t like this name
[name_f]Caoimhe[/name_f] - the spelling in Australia
Bláithín - love the meaning but a non Gaeilgeoir might think I’m saying something sexual
Máire - a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] variant and in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] there are quite a few older [name_f]Marys[/name_f]

Aodh/Aodhan - dislike the “en” ending but liked the meaning
[name_m]Brendan[/name_m] - same as above
[name_m]Conor[/name_m]/Connor - know too many
[name_u]Fionn[/name_u]/Fion/Finn - know a lot of them and while it’s not dead on, it’s similar to the word for wine :wine_glass:
Máirtín - unfortunately too similar in my accent to a fly spray product called Mortein. It’s a nice name but don’t want to think about [name_u]Louie[/name_u] the Fly 🪰

TIA :innocent:

Welcome to Nameberry! This is a nice challenge. I’d love to know your LO’s name for reference, but understand if you don’t want to share for privacy reasons.

Traditional Irish names…

Ailís or [name_f]Eilís[/name_f]
[name_f]Eimear[/name_f]
Síofra
[name_f]Aifric[/name_f]
Catríona
Étaín
[name_f]Aoife[/name_f]
Áine
[name_f]Brighid[/name_f]
[name_f]Sorcha[/name_f]
[name_f]Orlaith[/name_f]
[name_u]Ailbhe[/name_u]
[name_f]Sadhbh[/name_f]
Méabh
[name_f]Bébhinn[/name_f]
Clíona
Éabha
[name_f]Sibéal[/name_f]
Naomh
Róise
Úna
Fionnúir
[name_f]Cessair[/name_f]

Cormac
[name_u]Dara[/name_u]
[name_f]Ruairí[/name_f]
[name_m]Séamas[/name_m]
[name_m]Tadhg[/name_m]
[name_m]Finbarr[/name_m]
Cathair
[name_m]Domhnall[/name_m]
[name_m]Oisín[/name_m]
[name_m]Eoin[/name_m]
[name_m]Manus[/name_m]
[name_m]Colm[/name_m]
Bairre
[name_m]Fergus[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrós[/name_m]
[name_m]Ruadh[/name_m]
[name_m]Enda[/name_m]
Ailill
[name_m]Conall[/name_m]
Dáithí
[name_m]Fergal[/name_m]
[name_m]Donnacha[/name_m]
[name_m]Cathal[/name_m]
[name_m]Turlough[/name_m]

4 Likes

I can’t offer anything more than @katinka amazing list.
[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite Irish girl names are [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and [name_f]Enya[/name_f] and my favourite Irish boys name is [name_m]Finnian[/name_m].
Google luck :blush:

1 Like

And also [name_f]Orla[/name_f], [name_f]Oona[/name_f] and [name_f]Erin[/name_f] and [name_m]Cillian[/name_m] are lovely too!

Apologies as I’m still getting used to the forum features! I’m loving some of the names pop up on your lists! I knew my request was going to be a bit of a tricky one! @katinka @anon25197097 thank you both so much for commenting :grinning:

For privacy, I don’t do social media for my LO1 @katinka :sweat_smile: but can say Irish “grandparent name”. Would be in favour during the 50s or 60s. It wouldn’t be fair for LO1 if they have a perceptively tricky name and LO2 has this fresh modern, short name with no issues. I’m overthinking some things and need to take a step back :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Here’s standing out for me:

Dáithí - love the meaning and don’t mind the fadas. Would match LO1 but people might think it’s “Daithy” or “[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]”

Cillian - love the actor and his work :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:, simple enough to say in Australia, I have heard it is cyclical in popularity like [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] is (due to the actor so this could date in the next decade). The other downside I see is that “en” sound might be picked up though by an Australian speaker and “silly-en”… :thinking:

Cormac - people might know it from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] book 4

Colm

Bairre

Séamas - would easily fit in with LO1

Sadhbh - OH perfectly happy with this but I think this is asking for trouble in Australia. I love the name but worry about ridicule after we just got people used to LO1’s name

Enya - the Irish version has slipped my mind but I don’t hear it very often. I like the singer’s range.

Catríona - there’s an Australian TV presenter, so her spelling might confuse some people, her name could be known to more Australians

Aoife - love it

Áine - love it and don’t hear it often

Sorcha - love it and don’t hear it often

Órla or Órlaith - I don’t have anything bad about it. I love it. Pretty sure there’s a designer who does retro inspired pieces. So it’s a name that grows. The meaning is gorgeous provided LO2 is fair haired :sweat_smile:

Maeve/Méabh - I like it but OH doesn’t! I think she was a great mythological queen and didn’t put up with anything.

Middle names would be longer as most of these names are on the shorter side. :thinking:

1 Like

I believe it’s [name_f]Eithne[/name_f]. Beautiful name with either spelling!

3 Likes

I see what you mean about [name_f]Orla[/name_f]/Orlaith but perhaps it could just mean that she is a golden child beautiful/well-behaved etc :sweat_smile: it’s a very pretty name.
I love [name_f]Enya[/name_f] too. I think she peaked in the 90s myself so perhaps the name is less associated with her or not associated with her too much these days.

Sorcha is fantastic but I am thinking your partner may not like it if he isn’t a fan of [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] much as the pronounciations are a bit similiar/same vibe.
[name_m]Colm[/name_m] and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] are nice too!

As for [name_m]Cillian[/name_m] I am a big fan of [name_m]Cillian[/name_m] [name_u]Murphy[/name_u] too. I don’t think his name is gaining any momentum or popularity though, despite the universal success of Peaky Blinders etc.
What about [name_u]Killian[/name_u]? So people deffo get the hard K/C sound. [name_u]Or[/name_u] does that take away from Cillians charm.
Another Irish name similar is [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] again it has that ending you don’t like but they are both so charming.

Oops! I’ve learnt something new.

Also Ainsling and [name_f]Clodagh[/name_f] :star_struck:
[name_u]Niall[/name_u]
Cian
Garrett
Lonan
Quill
Odhran
Flynn
Padraig
Ronan
Fiadh
Ciara
Tegan
Shannon

Siobhan
[name_f]Sinead[/name_f]
[name_f]Orla[/name_f]
[name_f]Una[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

Trying to pick some good ones that [name_f]Katinka[/name_f] hasn’t already mentioned, I’ll try to dip more into Irish myth.

Banbha/Fódla
Clíodhna
[name_f]Gráinne[/name_f]
Laoise
Líadan
[name_f]Macha[/name_f]
Neasa
[name_f]Niamh[/name_f]
Réalta - The more commonly used names are Réaltán or Réaltín, meaning little star, but if you’re avoiding a -n ending Réalta on it’s own just means star
Saorla - Related to [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] but not nearly as common
Síomha
Tuathla/Tuathlaith

[name_m]Alastar[/name_m]
Caílte/Caoilte
[name_m]Conleth[/name_m]
Connla
Enda/Éanna
Feidhlim
Ferdia - a really sweet name from The Táin
Fiachra
[name_m]Lir[/name_m] - a bit of a longshot but it’s an interesting name from Irish myth
[name_m]Lugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Malachy[/name_m]
[name_m]Mícheál[/name_m] - I don’t think the Taoiseach has ruined yet
[name_u]Naoise[/name_u]

As a [name_f]Brighid[/name_f] I do also have to recommend my own name and if a LO1 has an “Irish grandparent name” a little sister named [name_f]Bridie[/name_f] might match well

2 Likes

I don’t have any to add but I think [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] is becoming more recognised in Australia! I also know at least 3 Sineads (millennial generation). I feel like [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] will be the next [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] or [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] in terms of global recognition.

For boys, I’ve always had a soft spot for [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] which I think could be acceptable in Australia. I know you said no anglicised but there are some names that have been anglicised for a long time that I personally find acceptable like [name_m]Findlay[/name_m]/Finley, [name_u]Sean[/name_u], [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m], [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] etc? I also love [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m], but it has that -en ending.

2 Likes

Living near one of the Australian Irish population bubbles there are a few things you’re on point about! :grinning: @elleplume

Fiadh is super popular here at the moment. I know about 3 Irish Australian girls in the last year with it. Especially Fiadh [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] as the middle name. It kind of put me off the name.

I’ve heard a few [name_u]Dara[/name_u]/Darragh/Dáire for boys as well. OH said a couple of those [name_u]Dara[/name_u] spellings are also unisex which is a nice touch.

Niamh can be a tricky one! I know a few adults but a lot of [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers (including myself sometimes) get thrown by the “mh” as “ev”. Language is fun :sweat_smile:

I like [name_f]Sinead[/name_f] too. It’s been around forever and most people could probably say it. It’s one of those older style names which would perfectly go with my LO1.

1 Like

Oh wow I didn’t know this about [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u]! [name_m]Can[/name_m] I ask where in Australia you are? I’m considering it for our LO on the way, but I don’t think anyone in Tasmania would’ve heard of it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not side @elleplume :sweat_smile: but I was surprised to hear it being popular too! I thought it was more common in the [name_u]West[/name_u] of [name_f]Ireland[/name_f]!

Wouldn’t let you put it off [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] though! Most people loved the name once told the meaning!

1 Like

Thanks, it’s definitely still on the list!

Ooh, I don’t think [name_f]Róisín[/name_f] has been mentioned yet? I met one in [name_m]Melbourne[/name_m] a few years back and positively swooned. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the nickname [name_f]Ro[/name_f] too!

Sorry for repeats but my favorite are…

Aoife “EE-fa”
[name_f]Aine[/name_f] “AWN-ye”
[name_f]Ciara[/name_f] “KEE-ra”
[name_f]Laoise[/name_f] “LEE-sha”
[name_f]Mairead[/name_f] “muh-RAID”
[name_f]Meabh[/name_f] “[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]”
[name_f]Nuala[/name_f] “NOO-la”
[name_f]Fionnuala[/name_f] “fih-NOLL-uh”/“fih-NOO-luh”
[name_f]Oonagh[/name_f] “OO-na”
[name_f]Roisin[/name_f] “ro-SHEEN”
[name_f]Aisling[/name_f] “ASH-lin”

1 Like

Immediately I thought of something simple or a name that can be abbrev or nm’d very easily.

I love [name_f]Orla[/name_f]. It sounds too much like my LO1’s name that’s why I wouldn’t consider it myself, but I think it’s beautiful.

1 Like

Niamh
[name_f]Aoife[/name_f]
[name_f]Orla[/name_f]/Orlaith
[name_f]Mairead[/name_f]
Aibhne
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]/ Méabh
[name_f]Brigid[/name_f]/Brigit
[name_f]Aisling[/name_f]
[name_f]Ciara[/name_f]
[name_f]Oonagh[/name_f]/Oona
[name_f]Eithne[/name_f]/Enya
[name_f]Siobhán[/name_f]
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]
[name_f]Deirbhile[/name_f]
[name_f]Aibhilin[/name_f]
Saorla
[name_f]Aithne[/name_f]
Clíodhna
Síomha
[name_f]Ailis[/name_f]
[name_f]Clodagh[/name_f]
[name_f]Eimear[/name_f]/Émer
[name_f]Róisín[/name_f]
Éanna
[name_f]Fionnuala[/name_f]
Rónnat
[name_f]Nuala[/name_f]
Taillte
Eábha
[name_f]Sadhbh[/name_f]
Áine
Líobhan
Séanait
[name_f]Sinéad[/name_f]
[name_f]Róis[/name_f]
[name_f]Gráinne[/name_f]
Mallaidh
Íde
Muirín
Téide
Bríde
[name_m]Nollaig[/name_m]
Ríona
[name_f]Tuilelaith[/name_f]
Mealla
Fionúir
Líle
Geiléis
Caoileann
[name_f]Fainne[/name_f]
[name_f]Saraid[/name_f]

Odhran
[name_m]Eoin[/name_m]
[name_m]Eoghan[/name_m]
[name_m]Colm[/name_m]

Árón
Dallán
Faolán
[name_m]Raghnall[/name_m]
Eláir
Maolán
[name_m]Aonghus[/name_m]
Lorcán
Suibhne
Naomhán
Cathaír
[name_u]Tiernan[/name_u]/Tiarnán
Leannán
[name_m]Tiarnach[/name_m]
Marcán
Nuadha
Conán
Aindréas
[name_m]Cillian[/name_m]
Bricín
[name_u]Ciarán[/name_u]
Áed
[name_m]Cian[/name_m]
Rúadhán
[name_m]Fergus[/name_m]
Éibhear
[name_m]Oisín[/name_m]
[name_u]Rónán[/name_u]
Lachtnán
Bardán
Rodhlann
Ailerán
Bécán/Beacan
Dáithí
[name_m]Ruairi[/name_m]
Abbán
Tanaí
Laídech
Iobhar
[name_m]Eamon[/name_m]
Laoiseach
Banbhán
Damhán
Lonán
[name_m]Donagh[/name_m]
Nóirín
[name_m]Tadhg[/name_m]
Ríordán
[name_m]Diarmaid[/name_m]
Niallán
[name_u]Darragh[/name_u]

1 Like

I’m really loving Órla as well!

Instead of overthinking this I’m making a top 5 name list for each gender. It’s definitely higher on my list.

For me it’s the meaning but I feel like lots of people will ‘get it’ straight away!

2 Likes