Triton

Am I the only one that loves the name Triton for a boy?

I know that most will think of The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid when they hear it, but I don’t see that as a bad thing. I think the name evokes strength, power, and images of the sea. Almost everyone will have heard it before and know how to spell it, and yet it’s so unique as a name that they probably will not have met another Triton.

Thoughts?

I’m not a fan of Triton simply because I’m not a fan of mythological names. Also, a google search just told me it’s about 10 different school’s mascots in the US so that’s kind of odd for a name, I suppose! You might like [name_m]Titus[/name_m], it’s a bit like Triton.

I like the mermaid association, but to me the name has a really ugly sound… Trite is not a positive word, and I’m not into any of the -ton names. Thinking about this name, my mind associates it with ‘weighs a ton’ and [name_m]Titan[/name_m], so it feels a lot like something a boy would be burdened with. With the Trite thing as well, I’d steer clear of this one to be honest.

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is a sweet alternative or [name_m]Titus[/name_m] or [name_u]Tiernan[/name_u] maybe? [name_m]Theron[/name_m], [name_m]Theon[/name_m], Tacito, Tadgh, Tauno, Taran, [name_m]Theseus[/name_m], [name_m]Toivo[/name_m], [name_m]Tristram[/name_m], [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] and [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] are more unusual alternatives. Or [name_m]Merlin[/name_m], it evokes both strength and the sea for me, due to its meaning. I also love [name_u]Tamlane[/name_u] or [name_m]Tam[/name_m] [name_f]Lin[/name_f], from an old ballad.

Yes, the king of the merpeople is what first comes to mind for me. But I wouldn’t say that’s a bad thing. Personally, Triton is not my style, but I can see it working. Especially in the age of naming where everything goes. If people can name their sons [name_m]Apollo[/name_m], [name_m]Saint[/name_m], [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], etc., then you can certainly name yours Triton. I honestly think Triton is a bit more subdued for a mythological name. It sounds so similar to [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_m]Titus[/name_m] that it won’t sound so strange. I say go for it. Perhaps with a more common mn like [name_u]James[/name_u].

Any other thoughts? :smiley: