Trouble with sibling names

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! We are expecting our third baby, and second girl. We hope to have a large family and are not close to being done having kids. Our first both start with L, and I’m struggling with naming this next baby. [name_f]Do[/name_f] we do another L and commit to naming all the kids L? That could be a lot of L names! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband does not like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], etc. We’ve strongly considered [name_f]Liesel[/name_f]. He likes [name_f]Lyla[/name_f] but I worry it’s too similar to our first girl, [name_f]Lydia[/name_f].

We also like [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]/[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. I think it sounds nice with [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], but I do not like [name_f]Addie[/name_f].

Thoughts??

I shared a first initial with my sibling and didn’t always like being a matched set as a kid, but I don’t mind as much now. There are lots of lovely “L” names out there, but I also love [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]/[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]! There are nickname options than than “[name_f]Addie[/name_f]”; [name_f]Line[/name_f]/[name_f]Lina[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], just to name a couple.

I think if you’re planning on having many more children it might be a good idea to end the theme now. Down the line 2 children with the same initial when all the others don’t won’t be very strange (and is kind of a cute connection between the oldest!) but if you add a 3rd L you are tying yourself into a theme & could end up feeling like you have to use names that you don’t love for your future children, just so they fit with their siblings. That is just my 2 cents!

[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] & [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] are both stunning, and as PP said there are plenty of other great nickname options to choose from. I like [name_f]Lina[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f] and [name_u]Del[/name_u]. Or you could give her a middle name that produces a nickname you like e.g. [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] = AJ, [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] = [name_u]Allie[/name_u]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!!

1 Like

I would say don’t do it, especially if you’re planning to have a large family. You’ll reach a point where you will struggle to find names you really like that begin with the same letter, or end up changing the spelling of names you do like on order to fit a theme.

Since you’re only on your third child and plan to have more, I’d say now is the time to break the streak. [name_m]Just[/name_m] stick to names you truly love.

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is lovely! I think that if [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] doesn’t go by anickname then people will be less likely to try and give one to [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] or [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. Keep in mind she could choose to go bu a nickname like [name_f]Addie[/name_f] at some point, but beyond her own self designation I don’t think you’ll have to worry about a nickname developing.

I completely agree with this. [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is so beautiful and pairs perfectly with [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]! In the long run, it may be confusing to have so many L names.

I think this might be the perfect chance to break the ‘L’ theme. If you are planning to have more children yet are already struggling to settle on another L name you love, you know it’s only going to get more difficult.

I love both [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], but I think I like [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] better with [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]. The nickname ‘[name_f]Addie[/name_f]’ is certainly avoidable, I think, as is any nickname at all. [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] in full is perfectly wearable, as well as perfectly lovely.

If you’re not 100% sold on [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], though, I might suggest these:
[name_f]Annelise[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]/[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] would be cute, because its not a completely new letter like B, its just a J which is similar to L in my mind, and breaks the trend. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps <3

[name_f]Liesel[/name_f] is so cute! [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is also lovely. Maybe [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Adele[/name_f] or [name_f]Line[/name_f]/[name_f]Lina[/name_f] as a nickname?
I don’t like too matchy sibling names, so I wouldn’t specifically search for an L name to fit with your two children. But if the perfect name for you happens to begin with L, so be it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] go with the most beautiful name, no matter what letter it starts with.

Ideas:
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]