"True" Top Ten?

[name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name], I was wondering if you have ever constructed a top ten list for names with the varied spellings or other type of variations taken into account? You know like how [name]Isabella[/name] would actually be the number one girl’s name if you took [name]Isabelle[/name]/[name]Isabel[/name]/[name]Isobel[/name] into account. Or how [name]Aidan[/name]/[name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Ayden[/name] when combined it is the number one boy’s name. Or even how [name]Lily[/name] would probably be in the top ten if you included the other spellings and all of the names that have [name]Lily[/name] as a nickname, such as [name]Lillian[/name] and [name]Liliana[/name].

If you have ever doen something like that can you let me know where to find it? Or if you have not done something like that, is that something you could do? Would it be too much work?

Actually, now that I think about it… I could probably do it myself, I’m just not sure what kind of parameters I would set up regarding what names to combine.

Okay, ignore this. I compiled a list with some of the variants and kind of got the type of information I was seeking.

Ooo! You should share this :wink:

Sorry I’m a little late to this discussion, though I guess that worked in my favor. Yes, can you share – how about writing a guest blog on the topic, including your final list? We’d love it! You can communicate with me offsite at pam@nameberry.com. Thanks!

At http://www.namenerds.com there are combined spelling lists for all years since 2005, and some years before that. Note that the exact numbers appear to be from when each years’ list was released and not the additional babies added after the list originally came out. Also, some of the lists before 2003 are longer because the SSA at the time gave the owner a list that goes beyond the top 1,000 but since then they haven’t been releasing anything beyond the first 1,000 for each gender. The lists are at this link:
Name Nerds! name popularity lists

As with any combined spelling list there is some subjectivity involved so someone else’s combined list may be a bit different.

I also wanted to know this information, with the “real” top names with combined spelling. I worked on a list of my own using the SSA list. It was hard and time consuming (and simetimes I nearly tossed my cookies when I found some yooneek spellings). I am almost finished with the boy name list and still have some work on the girl’s list. Thank you so much for the link to a website that has already done this. Wish I would have found that earlier! Now I can quit making my list and move on with my life!