"truly unique" names

I’ve been thinking lately about some people I’ve met in the course of my life who have what I consider “truly unique” names. Now I’m not saying that they are really the only person ever born with that name, but I’ve never heard it anywhere else. I’ve not seen it in a name book or on the boards somewhere. And, while I didn’t check every year’s top bajillion names, I did check this year and a year or two around when these people were born, and it’s used less than 5 times.

Here are my truly unique names, and I wonder if you’ve ever met anyone named this? [name]Do[/name] you have any that you know?

Nokka – This is pronounced with a long O, like [name]Noah[/name]. My mom’s nurse, in her mid-20s. She is white, which surprised me. For some reason when I heard her name I pictured someone either [name]Asian[/name] or [name]Pacific[/name] Islander, and I don’t know why. She has no idea how she got the name.

Cilissa – This is pronounced like [name]Melissa[/name], with an S. Went to high school with her, so in her mid 30s. [name]Said[/name] her mom got it from a poem.

Summerson – Also went to high school with her. I work with her dad, and he said that he just thought it was pretty. Her brother is [name]Eric[/name], so they went very normal with him.

Drexena – Former teacher of mine, probably around 60 years old now. Really awesome lady, and she was sometimes called Drexie.

Whiskey – The only boy name I can think of at the moment (unless you count Jehovah, but I didn’t actually meet him, just saw his name on a roster). Whiskey would probably be about 18-20 years old now. I was just a substitute teacher, and didn’t believe him, but then they got their report cards with the official name printed on them, and lo and behold he was really Whiskey! I ran into a [name]Tequila[/name] at the same school and always wondered if they were related.

There are a lot of other names that I personally have only heard once, but then I’ll see them in name books or something like that, so figure that just because it’s new to my personal experience doesn’t mean no one else is using it. For example my great grandfather was named [name]Erie[/name], which has been used as a middle name throughout my family. I think it’s highly unusual, but I’ll bet it’s been used somewhere else too. The funny thing about Pop is that his name was [name]Erie[/name] and he grew up in a small town named Odd!!

I know an Ecco. This has always seemed highly unusual to me. I love that it’s so unique, without being hard to pronounce or really complicated.

I went to school with a boy called [name]Rainbow[/name], he would be late 20’s now. Also one called Zi.

Ecco is really cool! I’ve heard of [name]Rainbow[/name] for a girl, but I think it would be awful to be named [name]Rainbow[/name] if you were a boy. I’m almost positive there is a Zi in my dauther’s soccer league. It’s definitely a two-letter Z name, but I forget for sure what it is. I haven’t met them yet, just reading the rosters, so I don’t even know if it’s a boy or girl.

Anyone else know any unique names?

Tyme- My cousins name she 18, a chearleader, sweet, and a preppy girl.

[name]Sabin[/name] - My nephew
Rowdy - An adorable little redhead boy.
[name]Orion[/name] (OR-ee-on) - His dark-haired little brother.
[name]Rusty[/name] - A pretty redhead in her early 30s.
[name]Janise[/name] ([name]Jan[/name]-EESE) - My mother.
[name]Davida[/name] (Da-VEE-da) - An old neighbor, probably in her mid-fifties now.
[name]Sunshine[/name] [name]Rainbow[/name] - An old friend’s older sister.

That’s all I can think of for now… other than made-up names that sounds like every other made-up name, so it’s not really unique: [name]Zaiden[/name], [name]Jevin[/name], Kylin, Shylee, Treven, etc.

Tyme – I’ve seen it before, but spelled [name]Thyme[/name].
[name]Sabin[/name] – I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. I’ve seen [name]Sabine[/name] for a girl of course, but not that.
Rowdy – I’ve seen that before
[name]Orion[/name] – I love this, seen it a few times.
[name]Rusty[/name] – [name]Don[/name]'t think I’ve seen it on a girl, but it’s my best friend’s dad.
[name]Janise[/name] – That’s different! I like it because it’s close enough to other names, that it doesn’t sound weird or made-up, but is still unusual.
[name]Davida[/name] – Now there is an old-fashioned name you don’t here anymore!
[name]Sunshine[/name] [name]Rainbow[/name] – Heard of both of them, but boy are they a crazy lot together!