Truman for a girl's name?

I like [name]Truman[/name] for a boy or a girl (we don’t know what we are having yet) but my husband thinks its only for a boy. While I think its more for a boy, I still think its cute for a girl, too. Thoughts?

[name]Truman[/name] is on my boy’s list. Maybe it’s just because of the “man” part of the name, but it reads all boy to me.

Only for a boy IMHO. I don’t really care for it at all.

All boy for me.

Very masculine. [name]Truman[/name] Show, President [name]Truman[/name]. The [name]MAN[/name] part.

I agree with the others–I very much like [name]Truman[/name], but I don’t like it for a girl at all. It’s very masculine.

It seems more boy to me. I guess you could nn her [name]Tru[/name], that’s kinda cute.

Thanks for the input! I don’t mind a masculine name for a girl, but I don’t want everyone to always think she’s a boy, KWIM? Guess I lose on this one. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree that it is far too masculine for a girl. Here’s how I look at it: Would you have liked to have been named [name]Truman[/name], especially during your hormonal adolescence? Maybe you would have liked it, but I think many girls would be embarrassed to have such a heavy, manly name. Other names with similar sounds:

[name]Trula[/name]
[name]Trudy[/name]
[name]Prunella[/name]
[name]Truth[/name]

Have the girls gone through all the “-son” names already? Are we moving on to the “-man” names now?

Please. This is getting ridiculous.

…[name]Jerusha[/name]. [name]Jerusha[/name] is another feminine option with that Ru- sound and has been growing on me like crazy. Good luck! :slight_smile:

My thoughts exactly. Part of the name literally means man, “trusty man” according to Behind the Names. [name]How[/name] could anybody want to name their daughter that.

That’s a really intriguing option, thanks!

My thoughts exactly.

If it didn’t have ‘man’ in it maybe but otherwise it is all boy.

Alternatives

[name]Trudy[/name]
[name]Connie[/name]
[name]Echo[/name]

No need to get nasty people, that’s why I was asking people’s opinions! Names go back and forth from feminine to masculine all the time in our society, big whoop, if people think “[name]Logan[/name]” and “[name]Riley[/name]” are good girl names, both seem very masculine to me, that’s why I was wondering about [name]Truman[/name] since I like it better than any girls names on our list. Simmer down! :slight_smile:

Thanks again to people who gave their opinion in a respectful manner and for those who suggested alternatives! Super helpful. :slight_smile: