**Trying to Help a Friend**

Hey guys, my best friend is pregnant with her second baby, another girl. Her hubby is being difficult (imagine that!) about the naming process. Anything my friends suggests, her husband rejects. She made a list of names she likes and his words were “we’re naming a baby, not a pet”. I was surprised cause none of them sound like a pet name.

Her list: (from what I remember):

[name]Lillian[/name] nn [name]Lily[/name] (this is her number one pick)
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Anabel[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Layla[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]

Her first girl is [name]Ella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. Which is pretty popular, especially where I live. It seems like any [name]Ella[/name] I meet is [name]Ella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. She said she wants a name that you wouldn’t automatically know when they were born. What I mean is that when you hear the name [name]Lauren[/name], [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Jessica[/name], you probably assume she was born in the 80’s. She wants something that will age well. She also said she wants something where her child won’t be Girl C. along with Girl D., Girl T., Girl W. in her class at school. I’m not sure she realizes how popular [name]Ella[/name] has become or some of the others on her list. Can you help me find a name for her?

I wouldn’t call any of the names on her list pet names, except for maybe [name]Layla[/name], which I also think is way too close to [name]Ella[/name]. [name]Isabel[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name] are, too, since both can shorten to [name]Elle[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name]. If she doesn’t want a name that will sound dated in the future, I would say [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Layla[/name], and [name]Olivia[/name] are definitely out. [name]Olivia[/name] is #3 in the country! [name]Layla[/name] is extremely trendy, along with [name]Lila[/name]/[name]Lily[/name]/[name]Lola[/name], etc. If she wants a name that won’t date, she should probably stay away for the top 100 or stick with classics, like:

[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (not with [name]Ella[/name])
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]

It sounds like she wants something a little more ‘unique’ than that, though. What about:

[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]