Trying to honor grandmother with boy's name

We are expecting our second son in a few weeks. We want to honor my mother with his name. My mom passed away about a year and a half ago. She LOVED being a “Grammy.” Her name was [name]Sally[/name].

My brother just had a baby boy a few months ago and named his son using mom’s initials ([name]Samuel[/name] [name]Phillip[/name] for [name]Sally[/name] Prann). We don’t want to copy that, so we need another idea. HELP!

[name]Salinger[/name] (nn [name]Sal[/name])
or
[name]Sullivan[/name] (nn [name]Sully[/name])

Oh I love the suggestion of [name]Sullivan[/name] nn [name]Sully[/name]!

Well since the initials idea is out my first thought was to use a name that had the same meaning. That’s out too. [name]Sally[/name] is diminutive of [name]Sarah[/name] which means ‘princess’. Next thought was names that are connected to [name]Sarah[/name] and I’ve found [name]Isaac[/name]. [name]Isaac[/name] was the name of [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]Abraham[/name]'s son and they were elderly when he was born so I figured that could have some meaning.

Then I had the idea of having part of [name]Sally[/name] in the name. Some of them:
[name]Salem[/name]
[name]Salvador[/name]
[name]Saloman[/name]
[name]Faisal[/name]
[name]Absalom[/name]

After that I came back to the same meaning idea and realised that this name would have to mean ‘prince’ instead of ‘princess’.
[name]Brendan[/name]
[name]Mael[/name]
[name]Vladimir[/name]

So that’s what I’ve come up with, what do you think?

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]How[/name] about [name]Salvatore[/name]?

I’m so sorry your mom died. :frowning: (I love her name…So sweet…)

What about [name]Solomon[/name], nn [name]Solly[/name]?

You could also do something like [name]Simon[/name] [name]Alexander[/name], with the S honoring her name and joining with the [name]AL[/name] from [name]Alexander[/name] to form “[name]Sal[/name].” (Not that you’d call him [name]Sal[/name] though, but “[name]Sal[/name]” would still be within his name.) Any S first name and [name]AL[/name] middle would work, like [name]Alec[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Alistair[/name]…

Take care! :slight_smile:

Why not give your son the middle name of Prann? I think that this is an excellent way of honouring your mother.

Any first name would do but I love [name]Simon[/name] Prann (plus your surname), or any other name that you love as a first name.

Using Prann is a great idea, [name]Rollo[/name]! :slight_smile:

First thing I thought was [name]Salvatore[/name]. It’s pretty religious and will be called [name]Sal[/name] or [name]Sally[/name]. Or might be [name]Tory[/name] - it’s an unusual name these days. Another way might be something like [name]Ansel[/name]. It’s very subtle. I’m not full of ideas right now but if you don’t really want to call him [name]Sal[/name], it’s an option… I think even back in the day, Salvatores did not always think their name was great - I know one in my family changed his name to [name]Charles[/name] to avoid being called [name]Sally[/name], and I’ve read about another while looking up my genealogy, found a family with a lot of the same names and a guy who changed his name from [name]Salvatore[/name] to [name]Charles[/name] (weird! may be the common analog for immigrants called [name]Salvatore[/name]). [name]Charles[/name] may then be ?? It’s a stretch.

Another option could be to change the first initial, um… like [name]Wally[/name] or [name]Hal[/name]. Those are kind of not my style, but you could work on some initials that work for boys and names that aren’t so old-guy. Good luck.

Thank you to all for so many ideas! We were really stuck.

I forgot to mention that we already have a mn picked out: [name]James[/name], after my father-in-law. I thought maybe two middle names, but my wife nixed that idea.

So I kind of like the princess --> prince idea: [name]Brendan[/name] [name]James[/name]. Now we’ll have to see what my wife thinks!!! :slight_smile:

Another idea would be to think of her interests. Was there a certain historical figure, author, musician she particularly admired? Is there something you associate with her?

One of [name]Queen[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]'s children was named [name]Alice[/name] in honor of a friend who said [name]Alice[/name] was his favorite girl’s name. [name]Just[/name] a thought.

You could always go with [name]Graham[/name] if being “Grammy” was so important to her :slight_smile:

[name]James[/name] Prann Would be a very strong name.

Or go with a name that means [name]Prince[/name] Because [name]Sally[/name] means [name]Princess[/name].

[name]Brandon[/name] [name]James[/name]

GL! :slight_smile: