Trying to honor grandmother...

whose name is [name]Eleanor[/name]. I always thought I liked the name, and would have named my son that if he had been a girl, but have been having second thoughts thinking about if we have a girl next. I guess I’m trying to get first impressions of the name from people. I would like a “pretty” name, and would like it to go with son, [name]Noah[/name]. What do you think? We’d use the nn [name]Ella[/name] for her.

I like [name]Eleanor[/name]! I think it goes very nicely with [name]Noah[/name], and I love the nn [name]Ella[/name]! Another idea is to use [name]Ella[/name] as her fn, and a name that starts with N for her mn:
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Naomi[/name] (love this!)
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Norah[/name]

I really like it! I think it’s very pretty and classy and it goes nicely with your son’s name.

I completely understand where you’re coming from, my grandmother was [name]Nora[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] so naturally I gravitated to [name]Eleanor[/name] but I have the same thoughts, is it really that pretty? I know it is it’s just sometimes that hard ‘nor’ ending is a little off-putting.

Anyway, this is about you not me! For what it’s worth, I think [name]Noah[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] go together just fine and the nn [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name] is lovely. For some other ideas, here are some variants of [name]Eleanor[/name]:

[name]Helen[/name]/[name]Helena[/name]/[name]Helene[/name]
[name]Ellen[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Eleonora[/name]
[name]Ilene[/name]
[name]Laina[/name]
[name]Elin[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name]/[name]Leonore[/name]
[name]Yelena[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that was helpful:) Good [name]Luck[/name]!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

If you plan to use the nickname [name]Ella[/name] anyway, my first choice would be to use your grandmother’s real name and stay with [name]Eleanor[/name], which is a really beautiful, strong, traditional name. My second choice would be to vary it just slightly, to [name]Eleanora[/name]. Once you start moving to [name]Helen[/name] etc, nice as they may be, then why not choose another name entirely?

Thank you so much, everyone, for your help! I really appreciate it. Since you were so helpful with this, I am going to go ask for some help in the boy’s names area, in case we end up with another boy!