Tuff as a baby name???

First I will start off by saying my last name is Healey. My husband and I are expecting a baby boy in [name_f]September[/name_f]. We both really like the name Tuff, however both of our families hate it. Is this really such a crazy name!? Does anyone have a child named that? If so, are you happy with naming your child that. Does he like his name?

So I’m adventurous when it comes to names. I generally encourage people to go with what they love within reason. That said, I can see why your families aren’t enthusiastic here.

Ultimately this is your child, you both love the name and are in agreement, and it isn’t anyone else’s choice or responsibility. But I would highly recommend giving him a more classic or otherwise conventional middle name to fall back on.

Congratulations! I agree with the previous poster, if you love it then go for it!

Other names like Tuff that might go over better with your family:
[name_m]Tripp[/name_m]
Tag
[name_m]Tallon[/name_m]
Thacker
Trumble
[name_m]Tyr[/name_m]
[name_m]Briggs[/name_m]
[name_m]Wheeler[/name_m]
[name_m]Trig[/name_m]

I do however understand why your family doesn’t like it. If it really bugs you that much then maybe use it as a nickname.

Names that could have Tuff as a nickname:
Telfor
Telford
[name_m]Tucker[/name_m]
[name_m]Turner[/name_m]
Tuxtin

Sorry if these aren’t very helpful. There aren’t very many names that contain a t and an f in them.

Tuff could also be your nickname for him. For example my name is [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f] but my family calls me [name_m]Bean[/name_m] and my cousins name is [name_f]Faith[/name_f] but my family calls her Peanut. So Tuff can just be his family nickname.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

I think Tuff will always be understood as Tough. While the sounds of the name aren’t unfamiliar, it just has a very strong connotation with the word. Plus it might bring playground name-calling (oh so you thing you’re so tough huh Tuff?). I would try to picture the name Tuff in all kinds of situations and see how you feel about it. Can you picture Tuff as a child, teenager, adult, elderly person? Can you envision yourself and teachers calling out the name? Can you picture a Dr. Tuff Lastname? If so, then it might be right for you! But it also might help to think of all the contexts someone uses their name.

I agree with about posters, Tuff could be a nickname for a similar sounding longer name, or for any name. The logic of nicknames doesn’t always stem from the given name. I think it might be good to allow your child options in the case that they don’t love Tuff on it’s own.

Lastly, what about [name_u]Duff[/name_u]? It is so very close but doesn’t have the tough association.

1 Like

I agree with @rosejuliet but I would add to it and advise against using Tuff as I feel it could lead to, “So you think you’re tough? incidents which may cause lots of unfortunate things for your son. Even when we love a name it is our responsibility to put our child first and choose a name that will serve him well in all stages of life without causing unnecessary challenges. As far as giving him a mainstream middle name in case he wants to use that, in reality, it is difficult for friends and family to suddenly start calling you by another name when they have known you as something else. Sorry.

1 Like

I actually think Tuff could work given the right setting.

Tuff Hedeman is fairly well known in certain circles so if you are in a heavily agricultural community it could definitely work. That being said, I would still recommend a more traditional middle name in case the kid grows up to hate it.

I agree with posters above.

What about Tufts or [name_u]Tate[/name_u]? I really like Tufts! Tufts is edgy yet still an established name (Tufts University and surname) and takes away “tough” association and teasing potential. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

I actually don’t mind Tuff. It’s not something I would use myself as I tend to prefer more established names but I s

I really can’t say I’m a fan. I don’t think the sound of Tuff is great in general but I also don’t like the similarity to the word tough. Furthermore, I feel like Tuff looks like a misspelling of the word. It reminds me of something a frat boy would call himself to seem funny.

I like the suggestions of [name_u]Duff[/name_u] and Tufts. I also think Tuff could make a cute family nickname.

I would agree with your family and pps. I like some crazy names, but I don’t think this one will grow with him very welll. Might I suggest [name_m]Topher[/name_m], [name_u]Duffy[/name_u], Rufio or [name_m]Rupheo[/name_m], any of which could have the nickname “Tuff”. Rufio was also the name of the Lost Boys leader in Hook, a tough guy exterior with a caring, tender heart.

1 Like

I’m going to have to agree with previous posters and say that using this for your child could really set him up for some problems as a school-aged child and later in life. All I can see is a misspelling of ‘tough’. I would stick to using Tuff as a nickname, whether one derived from his given name or just an unrelated pet name. Sorry but I just can’t see this working on a child or an adult.

1 Like

I don’t see the appeal of Tuff. To me it looks like a misspelling of “tough”. Apologies if this is a legitimate name with a different origin, but that would be my first impression.

1 Like

I don’t like it, sorry. I would save it as a nickname.
Pp suggestion of [name_m]Topher[/name_m] is a nice option.

1 Like

Tuff sounds like a cute nickname! Agree with most on the misspelling of “tough” & could set him up for some stereotyping/bullying. I like some of the previous suggestions on different given names to give him options in the future.

I think it’s ok as a nn, but not an actual name

I was going to suggest [name_u]Duff[/name_u] as a workaround too – it’s the proximity to “tough” which is the issue here.

There’s also [name_m]Tull[/name_m] or [name_u]Tully[/name_u]?

[name_m]Griff[/name_m]? [name_m]Cliff[/name_m]? [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] [name_u]Finn[/name_u], [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m]? I also like Tufts.

“Tuff” sounds like a name for a dog to me, sorry. Unless it’s deeply significant to your family or culture I would not use it. I like a lot of unique and out there names but this one just doesn’t seem like it would work for an actual person. I think it could make a cute nickname!