Turned off by Popularity?

We are ttc our final baby, and have had our favourite girl name chosen since before our previous baby (but we had a boy that time :slight_smile: ). It was ranked # one hundred fifty something in 2010, but then I just checked the popularity list for my own state, and it is [name]WAY[/name] higher up the list. While I still love the name, suddenly I am a bit put off. I am a big fan of unique-but-not-too-out-there names. Two of my kidsā€™ names flew up the popularity lists shortly after they were born, and Iā€™m bugged by that too. I donā€™t want them to be one of several everywhere they go. Is over-popularity reason enough to move on to the other not-as-loved names on my list? Or maybe I should just move out of this stateā€¦ lol.

I was in love with [name]Emma[/name] for years and years and years. But it really bothers me, that it is sooo popular. I know that even if I would love a name Iā€™d be so annoyed if my child would be ā€œ[name]Emma[/name] S.ā€ in school. So I would always go with a different name. I donā€™t feel comfortable with names in the Top 100.

That would turn me off a name very fast. I am nowhere near having a kid, so currently I donā€™t let it bother me too much because you never know by the time Iā€™m ready, but if you are planning on using it fairly soon Iā€™d steer away. If you are really really really in absolute head-over-heels love with this name I might still go with it, but Iā€™d be weary. Best of luck!

My daughterā€™s name is [name]Piper[/name], which I believe was 144 in popularity in 2010. Thatā€™s too popular for me, but my husband loved the name. Where we live, it was around 70 in popularity, which makes the matter even worse. BUTā€¦ my husband loved it. Plus, 70 something here means there were only 47 girls born with that name in 2012. In the whole state, thatā€™s not terrible. While most people know of a [name]Piper[/name], we have personally never met one.

I say if you love the name, thatā€™s what matters.

Depends on how much you like the name vs how much youā€™re bugged by its popularity. Personally, I donā€™t care. I like names I like. If theyā€™re popular, well that just means a lot of other people have good taste too. :slight_smile: Most of the names weā€™re considering are ā€œpopularā€. Doesnā€™t bother me. Youā€™re the only one who can determine whether a names trendiness and/or popularity outweighs its draw for you.

I do go back and forth between trying to not care too much because I love the name, and feeling like I just canā€™t do it with how popular it has become here (and the 2011 list could be even worse). The name is [name]Hadley[/name], (or possibly [name]Hadleigh[/name], the spelling of the castle in [name]England[/name], since I am a huge and long time lover of castles). Iā€™ll have to wait and see if we have a girl (my oldest predicts it, and has been right about the other kidsā€™ genders) and have a back up list handy. I love hearing everyone elseā€™s take on this topic! :slight_smile:

Popularity is a turn-off for me. There is a name or two Iā€™d make an exception for (I canā€™t let go of [name]Sophia[/name] :(), but realistically, I would probably not pick anything in the top tier of names. I spent my childhood with a letter behind my name, and it was a pain. And I have a relatively common last name, so as an adult, Iā€™ve run across three or four people with my first and last name and one with my first, middle, AND last name. If I loved a popular name enough, I would probably put it in the middle name spot.

Personally, popularity doesnā€™t bother me too much. It is annoying when you one of your favorite names fly up there on the popularity list, but if I love the name enough I would still use it anyway. So for me it just depends on how much I love the name. [name]Avery[/name] has been my favorite girl name for years, and it has definatly flown up on the charts, although I donā€™t like how popular it is coming, I canā€™t imagine not loving it and not using it because of that :slight_smile: [name]Hope[/name] I could help

Funny you should bring this topic up now. I did some research yesterday on my favorite girl name ([name]Kaleigh[/name]) and discovered if you add up all the different spellings of [name]Kayleigh[/name]/[name]Kaleigh[/name]/[name]Kaylee[/name] etc it jumps to almost 10,000 girls named in 2010. that puts it in the top 20 and makes it way to popular for me to use. Itā€™s a little sad to lose a name Iā€™ve loved for over a year but I donā€™t want her to grow up one of many.

That being said I do like [name]Hadley[/name] and the [name]Hadleigh[/name] spelling is cool. Iā€™m a big castle lover myself and have been trying to find a way to tie into some that Iā€™ve been to. If you love it and it has special meaning for you I say go for it.

I think it would have to be a VERY popular name like [name]Jennifer[/name] to deter me from using it. I just love [name]Ava[/name] and it is popular for good reason it is just a really good name and people recognise that.

rollo

I remember growing up in the late 80s/early 90s in the UK it seemed there were Emmas everywhere, but now I barely know any! Itā€™s really weird, because where can they have got to?

My grandmother has noticed the reverse with her name - [name]Brenda[/name]. She says all through her life she never knew another [name]Brenda[/name], but now in her 70s theyā€™ve got her surrounded.

Would you not consider the name [name]Hadley[/name]/[name]Hadleigh[/name] for a boy? It seems pretty unisex to meā€¦

To answer your question, I wouldnā€™t worry about its popularity if you love the name. Move to the UK, Iā€™d never even heard the name suggested before, lol.

I wouldnā€™t name my child something overly popular. Theyā€™re popular now, but in 20-ish years theyā€™ll be viewed as post-trendy. I canā€™t believe people donā€™t see that. Todayā€™s Avas and Isabelles are tomorrows Jessicas and Jennifers.

My name is [name]Ebony[/name] and I was born in an [name]Emily[/name] boom so it is quite annoying (especially with my last name). I am not put off my popularity if you like the name go for it. There are 2 [name]Austin[/name]'s in my brothers year in my school of 39 so just because it is a common name does not mean there will be more than one.

[name]Every[/name] time I really like a name that is popular, I remind myself that ā€˜popularā€™ is relative. even #1 names are not given to as many babies as they used to be, so i rationalize it a bit to myself!

I have a name that no one could pronounce right, at least not where I lived growing up, and my step sister is a [name]Jennifer[/name]. So I see it from both sides a little. [name]Both[/name] my boys ended up w/reasonably popular names, for different reasons, and Iā€™m cool with that. a possible future girl has me facing this problem though.

I guess i tend to waffle both waysā€¦ and land on ā€œif you love it, use itā€.

Popularity irks me. I guess it comes from growing up with always having another [name]Ashley[/name] in my class. Though, now that I am in college, I am usually the only [name]Ashley[/name]. LOL.

I am in a similar dilemma. I like the name [name]Sophia[/name] but it is #2 on popularity in the US as well as the state I am in. And I am liking [name]Madison[/name], which in #8 and [name]Zoey[/name], which is #43 and rising. Plus, my daughter has a fairly uncommon name. And I have gotten a lot of compliments on it. I would like the same for my second daughter.

Ehā€¦I know two Hadleys under the age of 2. And I live in the sparsely populated South [name]Dakota[/name]. That said, I almost named my son Evangelos and Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t because a family moved here who has a son named Evangelos. Itā€™s a pretty rare name. My daughter [name]Crimson[/name] also has a rare name, itā€™s never been in the top 1000, yet there were two others (that I know of) in the town of 25,000 people where she was bornā€¦and another one with a very, very similar last name in our current town of 10,000 people. At least they arenā€™t in the same grade, but they are only two grades apart and both [name]Crimson[/name] S. The ENTIRE reason I named her [name]Crimson[/name] was so that she wouldnā€™t have more than one of her in school. Thatā€™s what ya call failure right there!! I guess my point is that you canā€™t really avoid such a random thing, even when itā€™s your goal! But if you really, really want to avoid that in the future, Iā€™d skip [name]Hadley[/name] and name the baby [name]Holly[/name] or [name]Sharon[/name].

[name]Rollo[/name], do you think [name]Ava[/name] is up there with Jennifer popularity wise? Would you be deterred from using it?

To poster, I had no idea [name]Hadley[/name] was popular, are you in the uk? Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s not popular in the US.

If you were going to name your baby boy that name if he was a girl then you obviously love it. Sounds like popularity of the name would have went up anyway. Who cares by popularity. Names are names and we share them in this world. So what? If your son was going to be named say [name]Ava[/name] if he was a girl and you loved it then and now name your kid your dream name. Sheā€™ll be your only [name]Ava[/name] or whatever. GL

Popularity really does bother me, but sometimes there are exceptions. Maybe you should start paying attention to the kids names you hear while youā€™re out and about and see if you ever hear of any little [name]Hadley[/name]'s. [name]Lucy[/name] is the exception on my list because with all the childcares Iā€™ve been to and worked in, Iā€™ve never actually met a little [name]Lucy[/name]. I know one that is my age and another that is a couple of years older, but none that are small even though itā€™s about 25 in popularity for my state. It just depends. Sometimes a popular name might not be quite so popular on your town.

Popularity is a major issue for me. I have a name that has always been somewhere near the top 10, and growing up there were three others in my class with the same name. We all had different nicknames (though not necessarily our idea) just to distinguish us. Iā€™m now a college professor, and every year I have at least one [name]Brittney[/name] in my classes. [name]One[/name] year I had four in the same class! Whether itā€™s fair or not, on a subconscious level I think I tend remember those students who have less common names, although I often pity the ones whose parents have opted for the creative spelling or the completely unpronounceable name. I favor classic names that are not trendy or overly popular, and I will never give a child a name in the top 100.