Tuvia?

On another one of my posts I listed the names that I like and almost everyone said they didn’t like Tuvia. I like it because of Tuvia Bielski, if you have seen ‘Defiance’ you will know who I’m talking about, it was a true story. And I think it’s very inspirational but I guess it does kinda sound feminine because of the ‘a’ ending, and might be a little hard for a non-Polish boy. So what do you all think? And if I don’t use Tuvia can you think of a replacement, it doesn’t have to sound the same, it just has to be inspirational or just a name I like.

Here are the other boy names on my list:
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Niall[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name]
[name]Israel[/name]
[name]Orlando[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Griffon[/name]

I would absolutely love Tuvia…if it weren’t for Truvia. Now all I can think of is the sugar replacement. And that’s a shame, because Tuvia has a great ring to it.

I like your list, particularly [name]Charles[/name], [name]Wesley[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], and [name]Griffon[/name] – an offbeat spelling I actually quite like.

I never thought of the Truvia association, I guess that’s another reason not to use it. Oh well.

[name]Griffon[/name] is my little brother’s middle name! I also love it! But he might want to use it.

I really love Tuvia. I don’t really care if some think it sounds feminine, as if that is a bad thing to be. Tuvia Bielski was very inspirational, and it is easy to pronounce and not difficult to spell.

I think I like all of the names on your list, except I like [name]Griffon[/name] spelled [name]Griffin[/name], or [name]Gryphon[/name]. [name]How[/name] about [name]Oskar[/name]? That was Schindler’s first name. The other brothers were [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Zisel[/name] or Zeisal, nicknamed “Zus” or “Zusia”, Asael, and [name]Aron[/name], who originally spelled his name [name]Aharon[/name] before coming to the states.

Please do not name your son Tuvia. Yes, you may find it inspirational, but ten-year-old boys will just find it feminine and tease-worthy.

From your list, I like:
[name]Wesley[/name] (or [name]Westley[/name]!)
[name]Niall[/name]
[name]Rowen[/name]
and [name]Edward[/name] (for a mn)

@ribbons-and-soldiers I love it too, but I guess it will be a few more years before I have kids, so I will have time to think about it

@okbrielle I don’t think teasing would be a huge problem because I am going to homeschool my kids, but I agree it might sound too feminine for [name]America[/name]

Tuvia is Hebrew actually, not Polish, and is fairly common in Jewish communities. The English equivalent would be [name]Tobiah[/name] or [name]Tobias[/name], if that interests you.

It could be worse for a boy. Honestly, though, my first thought was Truvia. That definitely nixed it for me!

@spring13 That’s right, I forgot. But I think it might be common in Poland? I don’t care for [name]Tobiah[/name] or [name]Tobias[/name], unfortunately

@pippi777 That’s what a lot of people said. I had never thought of that, so thank’s to everyone who pointed that out.

While it’s not my taste and I do think it raises some concerns, it is a positive historical association. The nn Tuvi might be a little more boyish to help.

If you don’t like [name]Tobiah[/name] or [name]Tobias[/name] you probably won’t like these either, but two more related names are Tobijah and [name]Tobin[/name].

As soon as I saw it I thought it was a girls’ name, like [name]Tulia[/name]. Or [name]Thalia[/name]. Or [name]Tulip[/name]. [name]Even[/name] if it’s definitely masculine to you, I doubt it will be to anyone else. Femininity is by no means a bad thing, of course, it just ads a bit of extra difficulty.

The more I think about it, the more I like Tuvia. And as the pp said, Tuvi is a sweet nn. I think it’s a name that could grow on you.