Twin boys and an older brother

We are expecting twin boys. We also have an [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] who we named at around 4m pregnant and never looked back. We still absolutely love his name. To us it was a cool grandpa name, kind but strong, international, and it always fit him perfectly. Naming 2 more boys doesn’t come as easily :sweat_smile:Our favorite girl name is [name_f]Margot[/name_f] if that helps. Names we consider

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] & [name_m]William[/name_m] - like each name individually, but putting them together makes me pause. Is it too [name_f]British[/name_f] royal? Too basic? Probably the closest contenders now

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] - I love it, but we already have a boy in the family with this name.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - I like the name but we personally know 7 boys with this name under 5yo :upside_down_face:

[name_m]Harvey[/name_m] - husband somewhat likes it but Weistain has absolutely ruined it. And I can’t think of any good role models for it either.

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] - it feels a bit incomplete? Also a bit too close to [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]?

[name_m]Constantine[/name_m] - my European roots love it, but husband sees it as super religious and just too much overall.

[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] & [name_m]Felix[/name_m] - I love, husband is iffy. He doesn’t like nn [name_m]Max[/name_m] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] is a cat

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] & [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] - husband loves, but I feel like [name_m]Walter[/name_m] is still a little dusty and I am not sure our son will be happy with Ernest… even [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] hated his name apparently.

To make it even more difficult, we have a few rules: 1) No A names anymore, 2) No names staring S or ending N because of our surname

I think our style is old, recognizable, strong with history but not something as popular as [name_m]David[/name_m] or [name_m]Michael[/name_m]. I am from Europe, so I appreciate if there is a crossover with that region but not required.

We don’t like super modern or invented names like [name_m]Dax[/name_m], [name_m]Pax[/name_m], [name_m]Aiden[/name_m].

Are there names we haven’t thought of yet?

Thanks in advance :heart:

3 Likes

I love [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m], too bad it’s not a top contender. I do think [name_m]William[/name_m] is overdone, 2 versions of it are in the top 10 list
I want to suggest [name_m]Marco[/name_m] based on your list. That would put [name_f]Margot[/name_f] off the table, though.

Yeah I would prefer [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] but we need to meet somewhere in the middle with my husband. I will propose [name_m]Marco[/name_m]. Thanks! We will probably stop at 3, so M names is a fair game. Also I agree with your thoughts on [name_m]William[/name_m] but still like the name. Any ideas for a name to pair with [name_m]Edward[/name_m] instead of [name_m]William[/name_m]?

Here are some names/combinations you might like with Arthur (and taking on board your concerns about the names in your list).
Mix and match as you like:

• Oliver & Edmund (Oli & Ned/Ted)
  • Wilfred & Benedict
  • Jasper & Louis (Louie pronunciation)
  • Frederick & Tobias
  • Rupert & Felix
  • Christopher (Kit) & Rafferty (Raff/Raffa/Raffy)
  • James (Jem) & Hugh
  • Matteo & Lucas

Would have Theodore on the list but it’s as popular as Henry - I know a handful of each myself (under 8 years).

Of the names you’re thinking, I like William (though I like Wilfred as much) and Edward (probably slightly prefer Edmund but like both). I think most of the others have too much going against them. I do, however, think Felix is more than a cat’s name - it sounds feline with canine-like Max next to it but it’s a wonderful name without Max (for record, I like Max, just don’t think it’s helping Felix!). I do like the very literary Walter and Ernest - I would personally find it easier to choose Walter because Walt feels more sturdy to be than Ernie. I like Oscar and don’t think it’s too like Arthur especially with another names in the mix. It’s quite common to have siblings who share the same/similar endings, my six brothers all end in an ON or AN.

1 Like

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] & [name_m]William[/name_m] are my favorite options from your current list. They go well together and well with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. I see no flaws.

But you asked for ideas, so here you go:

[name_m]Beckett[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
Charley/Charlie
[name_m]Clyde[/name_m]
[name_m]Darrell[/name_m]
[name_m]Eddie[/name_m]
[name_m]Elbert[/name_m]
[name_m]Gary[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Joe[/name_m]
[name_m]Lee[/name_m]
[name_m]Lovel[/name_m]
[name_m]Mack[/name_m]
[name_m]Marshall[/name_m]
[name_m]Mike[/name_m]
Orice
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Richard[/name_m]
[name_m]Ricky[/name_m]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Rudolph[/name_m]
[name_m]Sylvester[/name_m]
[name_m]Todd[/name_m]
[name_m]Wes[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] → I’d use one or the other tbh - it does feel a bit [name_f]British[/name_f] royal, especially with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. However, they do all feel like popular classic boys names, so it doesn’t seem too odd?
Maybe [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]? [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]? [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Elliott[/name_m]?

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] → a fabulous name, but if there’s one in the family, some alternatives/ones with a similar feel could be: [name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]Rufus[/name_m], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_m]Bruno[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] → another lovely one, but alas, so popular :frowning: Some similar ones: [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] / [name_m]Freddie[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] / [name_m]Toby[/name_m], [name_m]Jude[/name_m], [name_m]Rory[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]Zachary[/name_m]

[name_m]Harvey[/name_m] → old man charm, and I’ve known a sweet kid with the name, but I do think people’s minds go to Weinstein. Some alternatives: [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]Conrad[/name_m], [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], [name_m]Robert[/name_m]

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] → great name - warm and rugged - and I have met brothers [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. Some alternatives could be: [name_m]Dexter[/name_m], [name_m]Jonah[/name_m], [name_m]Joel[/name_m], [name_m]Spencer[/name_m], [name_m]Rudy[/name_m], [name_m]Jesse[/name_m]

[name_m]Constantine[/name_m] → this is very grand and cool - could it work as a middle? [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_m]Luca[/name_m], [name_m]Emil[/name_m], [name_m]Erik[/name_m], [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] as alternatives?

[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] → love both of these - cheerful but classic! You might like: [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] ‘Pip’, [name_m]Linus[/name_m], [name_m]Julius[/name_m], [name_m]Nate[/name_m], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Miles[/name_m] / [name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_m]Eben[/name_m], [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] and [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] → if you feel they’re a bit dusty, alternatives could be: [name_m]Reggie[/name_m], [name_m]Walker[/name_m], [name_m]Wallace[/name_m], [name_m]Marshall[/name_m], [name_m]Graham[/name_m], Magus, [name_m]Russell[/name_m], [name_m]Everett[/name_m], [name_m]Clyde[/name_m]

If I was naming twins, as brother to [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], and taking in your criteria, I’d consider:

Arthur,…

[name_m]Jonah[/name_m] and [name_m]Elliott[/name_m]
[name_m]Callum[/name_m] and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m] and [name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m] and [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafael[/name_m] and [name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_m]Everett[/name_m] and [name_m]Miles[/name_m]

2 Likes

I think you’ve already gotten some great suggestions and advice, but I’ll add a few more I haven’t seen yet:
[name_m]Robert[/name_m] & [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m] & [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] & [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] & [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] & [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] & [name_m]Leopold[/name_m]
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] & [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] & [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Douglas[/name_m] & [name_m]Clarence[/name_m]
[name_m]Phillip[/name_m] & [name_m]Lawrence[/name_m]
[name_m]Percy[/name_m] & [name_m]Lionel[/name_m]
[name_m]Percival[/name_m] & [name_m]Francis[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] & [name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_m]Richard[/name_m] & [name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Paul[/name_m] & [name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_m]Stephen[/name_m] & [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]

Of these, [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] for sure.

Other ones I’d pair with big bro’s name/ potential [name_f]Margo[/name_f] (feel free to mix & match, of course):

[name_m]Carlisle[/name_m] + [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] (both out of the top USA 1000 currently, unsure about where you live)

[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] + [name_m]Jerome[/name_m] (both out of the top 400 in the US) and very historical

[name_m]Linwood[/name_m] + [name_m]Derrick[/name_m] (both out of the top 700 in the US)

[name_m]Merrick[/name_m] + [name_m]Trevor[/name_m] (both out of the top 500 in the US) also don’t know if you’d want to avoid M because of [name_f]Margot[/name_f].

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] + [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] (both out of the top US 100)

Hopefully these help :slight_smile: and congrats on the twins! :slight_smile:

I like [name_m]Walter[/name_m] for you! It has the same feel as [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], to me. I want to suggest [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m], but perhaps that’s too similar to [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] with the -ur ending.

Maybe [name_m]Wilhelm[/name_m] instead of [name_m]William[/name_m]? [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] or [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Edward[/name_m]?

Some other suggestions:

[name_m]Bernard[/name_m] or [name_m]Bertrand[/name_m]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Howard[/name_m]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]
[name_m]Ira[/name_m]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m]
[name_m]Bram[/name_m]
[name_m]Morris[/name_m]
[name_m]Orville[/name_m]
[name_m]Ishmael[/name_m]
[name_m]Carl[/name_m]
[name_m]Leroy[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]

I don’t think [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] are too royal sounding with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] (Henry and [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] are also royal names). Your style are very traditional, classic and strong boys names and majority of royal names fit that criteria which maybe why you worry. Still I think they sound great with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and are probably my faves from your list. (I equally love [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] but if you already know kids with the name or have it in the family I would personally choose to avoid it - unless you really aren’t going to be around them then I don’t see the harm)

Other names you may like (avoiding a and s names but a few do end in n)

[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Baron[/name_m]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Darwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Eldric[/name_m]
[name_m]Eldrich[/name_m]
[name_m]Eldridge[/name_m]
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederich[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Fredrick[/name_m]
[name_m]Friedrich[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Harris[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_m]Laurent[/name_m]
[name_m]Lincoln[/name_m]
[name_m]Louie[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Morris[/name_m]
[name_m]Randall[/name_m]
[name_m]Reginald[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Thierry[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Wallace[/name_m]
[name_m]Weston[/name_m]
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]! It was a top contender for most of our pregnancy.

When I read [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] I automatically thought [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] and [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m], but if you don’t want an -n ending [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] would be out. Still, I rooted so hard for [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] or [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m] for our son but my husband vetoed. I want someone to use them. :joy:

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] was our runner-up and I think it sounds very cohesive as a sibling for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. When we were in the hospital, the girl doing the newborn hearing check started talking to me about names and said she had just met a little [name_m]Walter[/name_m] in the nursery and thought it was the sweetest name, so I don’t think it feels too dusty to young people.

Would [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] nn [name_m]Gus[/name_m] be sort of similar to [name_m]Constantine[/name_m] but with a simpler nickname option?

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] & [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] better. [name_m]William[/name_m] is nice, but quite royal sounding as a set.

[name_m]Constantine[/name_m] isn’t “super religious” in any way. He may be mixing up his history lessons. [name_m]Constantine[/name_m] and [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]?

Could you use [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] rather than [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] (nn Hughie)? [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] or [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m]?

[name_m]Hugh[/name_m] & [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]

1 Like

I really love [name_m]Walter[/name_m] & [name_m]Ernest[/name_m], but I can totally understand that they feel a bit too old. (although I believe that [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] of the UK has a son named [name_m]Ernest[/name_m], which might freshen it up a bit)

some other ideas to go with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m],

[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Francis[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Roald[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]

hope this helps in some way!

1 Like

I like [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m] (though I prefer Edmund) from your list.
[name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Constantine[/name_m] would also go well with big brother [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. Congrats on your twins!

1 Like

I actually really like [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] & [name_m]Felix[/name_m] together or [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] & [name_m]Henry[/name_m] - think both sets are perfect with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] (great name). I like [name_m]Lucas[/name_m], [name_m]Miles[/name_m], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] for you guys too. I like the combo [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] & [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] but noted on the no other ‘A’ names. I think [name_m]William[/name_m] & [name_m]Edward[/name_m] are solid. I would be tempted to swap out [name_m]William[/name_m] for [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] or [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_m]Edward[/name_m]. Bonus that all your son’s names would then start with a different vowel letter too!

I really like your style! With your existing boy and other name stipulations I think [name_m]Felix[/name_m] + [name_m]Edward[/name_m] would be good names.

Other suggestions:
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Francis[/name_m]
[name_m]Emmett[/name_m]
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]

Hes probably referencing that [name_m]Constantine[/name_m] was the first [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Emperor to adopt Christianity and use it as a state religion. Its called the [name_m]Constantine[/name_m] shift in theology. I dont think most prople will think that deeply about it but it does have that association.

Congratulations on the new additions! With [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], I adore [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], and [name_m]Walter[/name_m]. Some other possibilities…
[name_m]Casimir[/name_m]
[name_m]Mitchell[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_m]Everett[/name_m]
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]

1 Like

I love [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]! I especially love [name_m]Edward[/name_m] - it is such an underrated classic.

If [name_m]William[/name_m] is too popular for your taste maybe [name_m]Edward[/name_m] & [name_m]Walter[/name_m]? [name_m]Or[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is also darling!

Other ideas…

[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Elliot[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]

Some pairings I think work well…

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] & [name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] & [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]