Twins to go with either Dorothea or Benjamin

See the results of this poll: Which choices to go with Benjamin or Dorothea?

Respondents: 64 (This poll is closed)

• Benjamin and Frederick (Benji and Fritz): 25 (39%)
  • Benjamin and Arthur (Benji and Artie): 8 (13%)
  • Dorothea and Marigold (Dotty and Maggie): 10 (16%)
  • Dorothea and Magdalena (Dotty and Maggie): 10 (16%)
  • Dorothea and Matilda (Dotty and Tilly): 10 (16%)
  • Dorothea and Miriam (Dotty and Miri): 1 (2%)

If you are 100% sure on [name]Benjamin[/name], then I would definitely go with [name]Frederick[/name] as his twin. You also mentioned that you liked [name]Bartholomew[/name], and - should you decide to let go of [name]Benjamin[/name] - [name]Frederick[/name] “[name]Fritz[/name]” and [name]Bartholomew[/name] “[name]Olly[/name]” would be cute with [name]Raphael[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], and [name]Ambrosia[/name].

As for girls, I do think that [name]Miriam[/name] is too plain and [name]Matilda[/name] might get too popular. I like [name]Magdalena[/name], but I think either [name]Magdalene[/name] “[name]Maggie[/name]” or [name]Margery[/name] “[name]Maggie[/name]” would work better, as they have slightly less - especially [name]Margery[/name] - Spanish flair. [name]Marigold[/name] is cute, but it doesn’t have real name quality too me. And, marigolds are not appealing flowers - they smell! [name]Just[/name] get’s me is all. What about [name]Magnolia[/name]? That is a clear [name]Maggie[/name] name!

([name]Just[/name] a side-note, [name]Ambrosia[/name], [name]Magnolia[/name], and [name]Demetria[/name] are cute together, and with [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Raphael[/name]…)

I voted for the twinsets that I thought matched each other best.

[name]Benjamin[/name] & [name]Frederick[/name] - [name]Benji[/name] and [name]Fritz[/name] just sound so perfect together. ([name]Fritz[/name] goes better with [name]Benji[/name] than [name]Artie[/name] does [name]IMO[/name].)

[name]Dorothea[/name] & [name]Magdalena[/name] - I love how the endings -ea and -ena just compliment each other and sound so pretty together. (I don’t think of [name]Magdalena[/name] as a really spanish name, although it does seem to have a bit of that vibe. I honestly see it as simply a variant of [name]Magdalene[/name], so it sounds more like a biblical name to me.)

I like [name]Benjamin[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name] together more because I don’t like Atie or [name]Arthur[/name] and I think [name]Benjamin[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name] have the same kind of rhythm and sound. I prefer [name]Freddie[/name] as a nickname though. [name]Fritz[/name] sounds odd to me, like it’s stereotypically [name]German[/name] and doesn’t match your other kids names.

The girls is a harder choice. I like [name]Dotty[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] together but I’m not too keen on Magdelana. It sounds sort of big and like it should just be [name]Magdalen[/name]. Also, both ending in the same kind of sound is a little matchy. [name]Matilda[/name] matches really well and [name]Tilly[/name] and [name]Dotty[/name] do sound nice. Then again, I really like [name]Miriam[/name] and feel it fits so nicely with the rest of your family but [name]Miri[/name] isn’t my favourite nickname. I’d think [name]Mimi[/name] would come more readily to my mind for a nickname.

I chose [name]Dorothea[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name]
and
[name]Benjamin[/name] & [name]Arthur[/name]…

[name]Hi[/name] Twinkle,

I love the names of your children, they’re absolutely beautiful! I was just wondering if you were aware how popular [name]Benjamin[/name] is? I only ask because your other children have names that are slightly more out of the ordinary. My godson’s name is [name]Benjamin[/name], nn [name]Benji[/name], and as he gets older he meets more and more little [name]Benjamin[/name]'s. I took him to a fair the other day, and he was playing in a waterfountain game, and there were (I kid you not) FOUR other little [name]Ben[/name]/[name]Benji[/name]/Benjamins in there with him. We then encountered another two when we took him for lunch. I’ve never seen so many little Benjimans at once, but because I adore him I’m suppose I’m more sensitive to hearing his name, and notice that it crops up a LOT. It is, however, a fabulous name, and if the popularity of it isn’t an issue, I love [name]Benji[/name] and [name]Fritz[/name] as brothers.

I love love love [name]Dorothea[/name], it’s just a stunning name with the most adorable nickname! I would pick [name]Matilda[/name] has her sister, they seem to of the same vintage, and it’s an equally pretty, strong name to stand beside [name]Dorothea[/name]. [name]Both[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] and Magdelena are a bit plain in comparison.

[name]Freddie[/name] and [name]Benji[/name] are okay as nn’s but I would steer away from [name]Fritz[/name] as this was a term used by the Poms for the Germans in WW2, it was semi derogatory.

I love [name]Benjamin[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name] as twins, but I really do prefer [name]Freddie[/name] as a nickname, it’s super adorable. [name]Freddie[/name] and [name]Benji[/name] are very cute together.

For the girls, I voted for [name]Dorothea[/name] and [name]Magdalena[/name]. I love [name]Dotty[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] together. I do love [name]Marigold[/name] but I think it’s not as classic as your other children’s names, nor your other choices. [name]Matilda[/name] is not a favourite of mine, and it is getting pretty popular, I think it’s clunky. [name]Miriam[/name] is nice, but insubstantial next to [name]Ambrosia[/name] and [name]Dorothea[/name] - you needs something with 4 syllables like these so this is why I picked [name]Magdalena[/name]!

Thank you all for your opinions! And thank you for your concern, Phia; we know that [name]Benjamin[/name] is quite popular, but it has been one of our top boys’ names for so long that we are willing to overlook that. My only issue with using a popular name would be that it would not ‘match’ our other children’s names very well, and so that is why we are both drawn to the also-relatively-popular [name]Frederick[/name] (the nn for which [name]WILL[/name] be [name]Fritz[/name], as we already know several Freddies) as a boy/boy twin for him. [name]Jasper[/name] is quite popular here, too, so we feel like it bridges the gap a little between [name]Raphael[/name] and [name]Benjamin[/name] …

[name]Rollo[/name], I am not worried about the World War One association; it was a long time ago, no-one has stopped calling their little boys [name]Tommy[/name], I don’t think that it was actually very derogatory and we have lived in Germany and are British ourselves. It is actually quite a common name in Germany, still. But thank you for your concern!

More votes and opinions are welcomed :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Benjamin[/name]. It has been v popular for years but is still a great classic name. I think [name]Frederick[/name] would ‘fit’ a little better for a twin, although I like both.
For a girl to pair with [name]Dorothea[/name], I like either [name]Matilda[/name] or [name]Marigold[/name]. [name]Matilda[/name] is definitely v popular where I live but I still love it! [name]Marigold[/name] is much more quiky and alternative but still fits with [name]Dorothea[/name] as it has a vintage feel. It also seems to match your current DC’s names as they are all fairly unusual.
Good luck with the pregnancy. I don’t know how you manage being pg with twins and having three other v little ones! :slight_smile:

Yay! Sometimes I feel communicating via the internet can give the wrong impression, I really only pointed it out because [name]Ben[/name]'s mother is only just realising how popular his name is, and it frustrates her. It is my all time favourite name for a boy! I wouldn’t worry about the WW1 thing with [name]Fritz[/name] either, I work with a [name]Fritz[/name], and it’s never occurred to me, or, as far as I know, anyone else in the company.