Twinset: Oona + ? (Also, have I lost my mind?)

I posted about loving [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] for a twinset recently. Now I”m wondering about the quirkier [name]Oona[/name]. What do you think of it? Is [name]Alice[/name] too popular to be paired with [name]Oona[/name]? Any other suggestions as to what could go with it? [name]Juniper[/name], nn [name]Juno[/name], comes to mind, but I”d love to hear other suggestions. (We need to avoid C/K sounds due to the last name.)

Also, I love the name [name]Persephone[/name] (the final e is pronounced as in [name]Penelope[/name]) for a middle, and I love [name]Oona[/name] [name]Persephone[/name]. Have I lost my mind? Is it too much?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I’ve known a few [name]Oona[/name]'s, of various spellings. All were Irish (from actual [name]Ireland[/name], rather than many generations removed :slight_smile: I think it’s a lovely name.

Not sure about [name]Oona[/name] & [name]Juno[/name]…seems like a mom’s nightmare tongue twister. I could seem myself saying Oono & [name]Juno[/name] or [name]Oona[/name] & [name]Juna[/name] by mistake when calling them for dinner for example!

I would have paired [name]Oona[/name] with a distinctly Irish feeling name. I knew sisters [name]Oona[/name] & [name]Aisling[/name] (said [name]Ash[/name]-lin) which I think went well together. I think a lot of Irish names are fairly unaccessible to the rest of us outside [name]Ireland[/name] due to their odd spellings but here are some Irish names that I’d like to pair with [name]Oona[/name] that aren’t quite so difficult with spellings.

[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name]
[name]Mair[/name]”ad (mur-aid)
[name]Deirdre[/name] (deer-dree or deer-dra)
[name]Dana[/name] (dan-a, like [name]Hannah[/name] - not like [name]Dayna[/name]))
[name]Cara[/name] (car-a)
[name]Ciara[/name] (kee-ra)
[name]Niamh[/name]
[name]Nuala[/name] (noo-la…maybe not so great with [name]Oona[/name] though)
[name]Teagan[/name]
[name]Roisin[/name] (ro-sheen)
[name]Saoirse[/name] (sear-sha)

…apologies if I’ve got some of the pronunciations wrong, just going by how I’ve heard these names in use and I’m sure there must be other variations.

*sorry, just realised I put a few ‘c’ sounds in there!

I adore [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]! [name]Oona[/name] is a little too out there for me, but it’s a nice name, and very cute. [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Oona[/name] as a sibset is nice, I don’t think they clash in style too much. [name]Juniper[/name] is lovely, but [name]Juno[/name] kind of rhymes with [name]Oona[/name]. [name]Oona[/name] [name]Persephone[/name] is is really pretty, flow-wise, but I would pair both [name]Oona[/name] and [name]Persephone[/name] with safer, more classic names.

[name]Oona[/name] and…

[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Althea[/name]
[name]Livia[/name]
[name]Oceane[/name]
[name]Clio[/name]/[name]Cleo[/name] (except it has a C…)
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]
[name]Saffron[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]

I find [name]Oona[/name] to look pretty awkward and be quite unusual to hear. I don’t know any Irish people (not from actual [name]Ireland[/name]) but I don’t think it’s a very pretty name. It could just be me, I don’t tend to favor most ethnic Irish names (contrary to what’s popular around here), but [name]Oona[/name] seems pretty weird even so. I guess if you like names like [name]Anna[/name] and [name]Owen[/name], it’s a similar enough simple-style name, I think it’s the ‘Oo’ sound. I did know someone in junior high named [name]Uta[/name], that sounds like Oota, not like the state of [name]Utah[/name], but she was actually [name]German[/name] from Germany too, so it didn’t seem too far out in that circumstance. I don’t have a lot to say about names that go with [name]Oona[/name]. I like [name]Alice[/name], but not with [name]Oona[/name]. [name]Moira[/name]? [name]Siobhan[/name]? These are names I could live with, they don’t seem to go with [name]Oona[/name]. [name]Luna[/name]? I know people don’t really seem to care for loony [name]Luna[/name], but maybe that appeals to you. I think it looks prettier than [name]Oona[/name], which I think reminds me Oompa-loompas, and seems like an onomatopoeia, and looks like the word onomatopoeia. I do like [name]Luna[/name].

I don’t have any advice, but perhaps you could blame it on hormones? Wait it out a week at least, and see if you roll back to [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] (which are lovely names for twins!)

I’m an [name]Oona[/name] lover myself so I really shouldn’t talk, but I have to agree that maybe [name]Oona[/name] [name]Persephone[/name] is too much name for one little girl to live with!
The [name]Una[/name] spelling looks less ‘crazy’ to me, and might be easier to find a sibling to since you’re less ‘forced’ to use and Irish name. It also might be odd if [name]Una[/name] was the first twin to be born since it means ‘the only one’ XD [name]Una[/name] and Secunda would be dreadful!

Other than that, I can see [name]Oona[/name]/[name]Una[/name] with these names:
[name]Siobhan[/name]
[name]Aoife[/name]
[name]Roisin[/name]
[name]Ailsa[/name]
[name]Alva[/name]
[name]Dido[/name]
[name]Maud[/name]
[name]Selene[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Vianne[/name]
[name]Tilda[/name]
[name]Twila[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Fable[/name]
[name]Cybele[/name]
[name]Ceres[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Anwen[/name]
[name]Amity[/name]

I prefer the [name]Una[/name] spelling, as [name]Oona[/name] does look like some sort of organism or something to me. It’s not the prettiest name in my opinion, and I’m more of an [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] girl myself! Perhaps you could use [name]Uma[/name], like the actress [name]Uma[/name] [name]Thurman[/name]?

[name]Uma[/name] - [name]Arlet[/name], [name]Cala[/name], [name]Chandra[/name], [name]Deven[/name], [name]Jaya[/name], Kavi, [name]Leela[/name], [name]Mena[/name], [name]Opal[/name]
[name]Una[/name] - Aven, [name]Bryna[/name], Eilley

I admit that when a poster first considered naming her baby girl [name]Oona[/name] a while ago, my honest first thought was, “Huh?” :slight_smile: That said, it quickly grew on me, and I now think it’s a great Irish name!

I can’t remember the suggestions (oops!), so I apologize for the repeats:

[name]Aveline[/name]
[name]Bronwyn[/name]
[name]Brigid[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Mairead[/name]
[name]Rosaleen[/name]
[name]Roisin[/name]
[name]Saoirse[/name]
[name]Talullah[/name] (has the ooo sound, but it [name]Oona[/name] and [name]Talullah[/name] doesn’t sound as matchy to me as [name]Oona[/name] and [name]Juno[/name]/[name]Juniper[/name])

[name]Oona[/name] [name]Persephone[/name] would be too out there for me to use, but it’s a combo I’d love to hear on someone else’s child (if that makes sense). :slight_smile: If I heard of a little [name]Oona[/name] [name]Persephone[/name], I would think it was a great name.

[name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] are more my style, but if you’re switching to more exotic names, I think that [name]Oona[/name] is a great option. :slight_smile:

Good luck !:slight_smile:

I agree that [name]Oona[/name] is rather awkward. I think the spelling throws me off more than the sound though, because I fin [name]Una[/name] more acceptable. [name]Even[/name] so, it just reminds me of cartoons and tuna.

I definitely would not pair it with [name]Alice[/name]. They are too different. However, I absolutely love [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] as a pair!

I just have to express my love for [name]Persephone[/name]. [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name]. If you use this, you will be my hero.

Can I say that I still love [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]?

I’m not overly familiar with the less-popular Irish names, so [name]Oona[/name] is new to me. I find it strange, but maybe familiarity would breed more love for the name.

I adore [name]Persephone[/name], however. I want someone to be brave enough to use it!

I love [name]Oona[/name]!!!

[name]Oona[/name] and [name]Zoey[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] and [name]Nora[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] and [name]Lola[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] and [name]Mira[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] and [name]Ida[/name]

Oh, and don’t use [name]Oona[/name] and [name]Juno[/name] together - they sort of rhyme. [name]Oona[/name] [name]Persephone[/name] is just too much in one name, in my opinion. I would tone it down with something like [name]Oona[/name] [name]Claire[/name].
[name]Oona[/name] [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Zoey[/name] [name]Gail[/name] would be a great set of twin names!

I like [name]Oona[/name] [name]Persephone[/name]…
with…
[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Yolanda[/name] (already suggested by another poster - can be pronounced Mayv or [name]May[/name]-vee, I prefer the first)
[name]Grainne[/name] [name]Iris[/name] (Gran-ee-ah also spelled [name]Grania[/name] for those worried their child will be called Grain…I knew a girl in my highschool with this name - it’s lovely feminine and strong - I was jealous)
[name]Rosaleen[/name] [name]Cipriana[/name]

or you could flip it and use [name]Persephone[/name] [name]Oona[/name] which is really charming and the nn could be Persy which would be really cute and spunky on a girl. I like [name]Persephone[/name] [name]Oona[/name] with [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] :slight_smile:

sorry but i deeply dislike [name]Oona[/name]. But if you were to use it pair it with [name]Juniper[/name], a really great name, as [name]Alice[/name] is too common. I also feel like [name]Persephone[/name] is just trying too hard to be different.

I loved [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]! I think that was a perfect twinset. I’m not a big fan of [name]Oona[/name] and I would agree with other posters that [name]Oona[/name] [name]Persephone[/name] is too much. I do like [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] a lot, although they are a different style.

I also love [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] and kind of think [name]Oona[/name] is a bit weird. What about [name]Alice[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]/[name]Persephone[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]? I think that would be cute

I too prefer [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] but if you go with [name]Oona[/name] my fav combos of those suggested are:

[name]Oona[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] and [name]Dierdre[/name]

[name]Alice[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] are quiet and well-behaved and [name]Oona[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name] (by far my favorite pairing) are wild and crazy. But to the previous poster who said [name]Maeve[/name] could be pronounced [name]May[/name]-vee – really? I have never heard that. The only pronunciation I’ve heard is mayv (one syllable, rhymes with [name]Dave[/name]).

On the other hand, in [name]France[/name] the e is not pronounced at the end of [name]Persephone[/name], so it’s three syllables, rhymes with lone and cone. I love that name but not as a middle for [name]Oona[/name].

Oooo! Fun!

[name]Oona[/name] and…
[name]Ailsa[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] - love
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Flavia[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Glenda[/name] - not in style but could arrive someday in the not-so-distant future.
[name]Hollis[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Jessamyn[/name]
[name]Lorna[/name]
[name]Mavis[/name] nn [name]Maeve[/name] or just [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Olive[/name], yeah it’s matchy, but so cute and unexpected!
Paisha
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name] - so whimsical!
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Rowena[/name]
[name]Thalia[/name]
[name]Twyla[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

“by User avatar pam on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:47 am
[name]Alice[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] are quiet and well-behaved and [name]Oona[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name] (by far my favorite pairing) are wild and crazy. But to the previous poster who said [name]Maeve[/name] could be pronounced [name]May[/name]-vee – really? I have never heard that. The only pronunciation I’ve heard is mayv (one syllable, rhymes with [name]Dave[/name]).”

I always thought [name]Maeve[/name] was pronounced only as Mayv - rhyming with [name]Dave[/name] as you say, [name]Pam[/name]. However, about a year ago I had a woman come to a first aid class I was teaching and when I called her name - [name]Maeve[/name] - she corrected my pronounciation to [name]May[/name]-vee. This is in New Zealand, however, where they pronounce the name [name]Jose[/name] (Hose-ay) as [name]Joe[/name]-see…

If you do like [name]Maeve[/name] but were hoping for a 2 syllable name to go with [name]Oona[/name] you could use the French variation [name]Maeva[/name] (may-va) which is a beautiful option and what we used for our daughters mn…although I do think it’s very matchy-matchy and prefer [name]Maeve[/name] and [name]Oona[/name] as I said before :slight_smile:

Ok, I love [name]Oona[/name] and I never even knew it was Irish. I knew a spunky little [name]Oona[/name] who is very American so that’s what I think of. I just see it as a perky, happy, unusual name. I bet most people wouldn’t know it’s Irish and would probably think you made it up or named her after [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Chaplin[/name]'s wife.

I love [name]Susan[/name]'s suggestions. Particularly [name]Ivy[/name]. [name]Oona[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name] is perfectly quirky.

That said, I really love the twinset [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Alice[/name].