Two families, one baby name crisis

[name]Hi[/name] all,

I’m unexpectedly pregnant again. I’ve already got two sons from a previous relationship, [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Elliot[/name] (12 and 10) and my partner has a daughter from another previous relationship ([name]Elizabeth[/name] “[name]Libby[/name]”, 6) who he has custody of. We haven’t found out the gender of this baby yet but we’re looking for a name that can seem as though it would fit with both families.

We don’t care about popularity, although we’d like to avoid E and L names if possible. We definitely don’t want another [name]El[/name]- starting name though, with [name]Elliot[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] it’s a bit much to have a third.

We’ve had a few thoughts for a potential brother for [name]Luke[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] and [name]Libby[/name]:

[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Jake[/name]/[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Charlie[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Connor[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Harry[/name]

What do you think? Or are there any names that we haven’t considered yet that might suit a future son perfectly?

Thanks in advance,

HappyH

As people said in your girls’ list thread, classic names would fit best with your sibset. I like:
[name]Luke[/name], [name]Elliot[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] &
[name]Charlie[/name] (although I would prefer [name]Charles[/name], nn [name]Charlie[/name])
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]

Others that would work nicely (but aren’t my favourites): [name]Matthew[/name], & [name]Thomas[/name]

Other suggestions:
[name]James[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] (similar to [name]Harry[/name], but more distinguished imo)
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Michael[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Thanks lilysong.

I wouldn’t use [name]Charles[/name] as it doesn’t go well with my partner’s surname, which ends in “les”, so it would be just [name]Charlie[/name]. I like [name]James[/name] but again I worry about the surname problem. but I feel [name]Henry[/name] is a bit too “posh” next to my boys’ names, and maybe [name]Theodore[/name] as well. [name]Michael[/name] is my partner’s brother’s name so we wouldn’t use that.

For [name]Luke[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]'s brother, I think these names would “fit” in with the family.

[name]Thomas[/name] (I left this classic name on the list but I don’t think it would flow well with an “les” surname).
[name]Jake[/name]/[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]

BTW - I think [name]Henry[/name] is fine with [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Elliot[/name].

Other Suggestions

[name]Matthias[/name] (less popular than [name]Matthew[/name])
[name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Anthony[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Zachary[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Adam[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Richard[/name]
[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Geoffrey[/name]
[name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Nathan[/name]/[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Raymond[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]David[/name]

To me, [name]Luke[/name], [name]Elliott[/name], and [name]Libby[/name] are classic names that are soft, sweet, and a little playful. The names you listed that give me this same feeling are [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Jake[/name]/[name]Jacob[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], and [name]Jack[/name]. If [name]Samuel[/name] could have the nn “[name]Sam[/name],” I think that would work perfectly, too. [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Connor[/name], and [name]Isaac[/name] all sound just a little more serious to me, but they would certainly work fine. I have never been a big fan or [name]Harry[/name], but I do like the pp’s alternative suggestion of [name]Henry[/name]!

Other names that I think would be perfect in your sib set:
[name]Max[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name] (with nn [name]Wes[/name])
[name]Joseph[/name] (with nn [name]Joe[/name] or [name]Joey[/name])
[name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Zachary[/name] (with nn [name]Zac[/name])
And although it has an “L” and an “E”, I think [name]Leo[/name] would be adorable, too!

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I think any of the names on your list would be great (with the exception maybe of [name]Connor[/name]). You have excellent taste! My favorite is [name]Oliver[/name]. [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] would be lovely and I think it’s the perfect fit with your other kids. I also like the suggestions of [name]Joel[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] for you. I think either would work with your sibset.

I think any of your names could work really. I think [name]Jake[/name]/[name]Jack[/name] and [name]Luke[/name] might be a little too close to shout out on a daily basis, and if [name]Luke[/name] is [name]Luke[/name] rather than [name]Lucas[/name] I’d go with [name]Jake[/name] rather than [name]Jacob[/name].

[name]Luke[/name], [name]Elliot[/name], [name]Libby[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name] nn [name]Sam[/name] is my favourite though, and I like that each child has a different name ending but is connected by [name]Samuel[/name] having the ‘el’ at the end of his name rather than the beginning like [name]Elliot[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name], or split like [name]Luke[/name]. I also like [name]Oliver[/name] with your family, too.

Other suggestions, keeping the ‘el’ theme:

[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] (love [name]Alex[/name] with your family)
[name]Maxwell[/name] ([name]Max[/name])

I think [name]Jake[/name] is too close to [name]Luke[/name]. I love [name]Oliver[/name] with sibs, unless you’d call him [name]Ollie[/name] which seems too close to [name]Elliot[/name] to me.

My favorites with sibs are [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], and [name]Matthias[/name].

Thanks everyone.

[name]Mischa[/name] - I really like [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Adam[/name] and [name]Daniel[/name] from your suggestions. [name]Nathan[/name] and [name]William[/name] are nice too.

Essjay - I never noticed that link before. I like [name]Alex[/name] too, I can’t use [name]Max[/name] as I have a nephew with that name.

Emsky - He would probably be [name]Ollie[/name] part of the time. I agree that it, and [name]Jake[/name], might be too close to my boys’ names to use.

Tfzolghadr - I really like [name]Toby[/name], but it was the name of my sister’s dog, so I don’t think the family would take to it sadly. I’m not really into surname names like [name]Keane[/name] or [name]Bennett[/name], but I do quite like [name]Reuben[/name] and [name]Russell[/name]. And we can’t call him [name]Miles[/name], he’d be [name]Miles[/name] [name]Miles[/name] if we do!

I like [name]Thomas[/name] best from your list and I think it’s fine with the last name. [name]Alexander[/name] nn [name]Alex[/name] is a great suggestion too. I was thinking that [name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name] would be perfect with your crew though I see how it doesn’t really fit with the surname. I do still really like [name]Charlie[/name], and assuming [name]Luke[/name] is not a [name]Lucas[/name], it still is a great name for you.
[name]Stephen[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Ross[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Evan[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]