Two middle names? I would love your thoughts on this...

[name]Hi[/name] Everyone!

I never thought I would be considering this given that no one in my or my husband’s family has two middle names, but I woke up in the middle of the night with a name epiphany :slight_smile: and now I can’t shake the idea of using two middle names.

We love the first and middle name we have chosen for our first child, but it is missing something (didn’t honor family is one thing…)

What are your thoughts on two middle names? If you have two middle names, has this been a hardship in life (filling out forms, etc.)?

Thank so much!

My daughter has two middle names. One was after my wifes grandmother. We kept saying her name, and the more we said it the more we realized it needed something.
When we filled out info for the birth certificate there was only room for one middle, we told the midwife we intended to use two middles, and she gave us a sheet with two spaces.
My brother has three middle names. He was born a preemie and my parents wanted to honour as many male members of the family as they could, in case he didn’t make it. He loves having that many names, says it makes him feel special.

I like the idea of using two middle names, as long as there is meaning to at least one of them. In your case I think using two middle names is a great idea.

Social Security only uses one middle name field, so the name would appear on records as:

[name]Jane[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Sue[/name], [name]Smith[/name]

which will get shorted to [name]Jane[/name] M [name]Smith[/name] in cases where paperwork doesn’t display the full middle name. It’s not a hardship or anything, just something to be aware of.

I have two middle names, and I love it. I’m the only one in my family with it. Although, I have a new baby cousin named [name]Zoe[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name].

It’s great. It makes me feel more…whole. I’ve imagined having only one, and I feel so wrong. Like empty. lol.
It’s not a problem with forms, although on my health card it only shows one initial for my middle name. But it’s fine. Not an issue at all.

I like more than one middle name. Two of my favorite names are [name_f]Jacquelyn[/name_f] [name_u]Paisley[/name_u] [name_f]Marie[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. I think they’re cute. Obviously I couldn’t use both because of the [name_f]Marie[/name_f] thing.
I would like to use two so I could honor both of my grandmas, grandpas, or both my parents.
[name_f]My[/name_f] cousin [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]'s parents couldn’t decide on a name, so she’s [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f].
Another nice reason to use two middle names is maiden names. For example your son could be [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Jones[/name_m], [name_m]Smith[/name_m]. Then you could use a middle name and a maiden name.
I only have one middle name, and so do most people in my family.

I like the idea of two middle names-- it makes it easier to honor family, and for us name nerds to squeeze in as many of our favorites as possible ;). I really hate my [honoring family] middle name, and I often wish I had a second one so that when people ask what my mn is I could tell them the one I liked better.

[name_f]My[/name_f] sister and I have 1 middle, my brother has 2. I’m not actually sure why, both his honor family, mine is the same as mums, [name_f]Emma[/name_f]'s was chosen cause it sounded nice.
[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] [name_f]Alba[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f]. It felt too much of a mouthful at the time but my husband was set on it and now I love it. We both use her full name every now and again and it makes me happy to say. And yes it is meaningful.
I’m not sure if our next daughter will have two, or just a single mn, we have options for both.

I love the idea of two middle names. I have two, and so far, in relation exam papers and stuff, I only use my first and surname, and I wouldn’t really care if I had to fill out forms with my middle names. For me, I just love the idea that I can more of my fave names and/or honour family members or friends. As long as it all sounds good together I think it’s great!

I think it can seem a bit pretentious, like the [name_m]Royal[/name_m] family and other aristocrats tend to have loads of names each. Also potentially a bit long and unwieldy, esp. with a long last name.

I actually kind of like the idea of no middle name, although of course it depends what the first name is. Some look a bit too brief by themselves, and some are common so a bit of extra identity is a good thing. But personally I’d prefer to keep the whole thing (minus last name) to 5 syllables or fewer. Some longer, more unusual first names I think work great just by themselves. When it comes down to it, first name and last name is what everyone actually uses on a regular basis.

[name_f]My[/name_f] son has two middles, both grandfathers names. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband, his brother and his Dad have two middles and my Mum has two middles. I would only ever consider two middles. Ideally for honouring. I don’t see how it is in any way pretentious.

The Royals do tend to have more middle names than the rest of us, but some do have two or less. The [name_f]Queen[/name_f] has two middle names, so do some of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. (Two of her great-grandchildren only have one middle name.)

I personally like the idea of two middle names and think that long ones could work too, but only if your child’s [name_m]Christian[/name_m] name is short (e.g. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [just a name that popped into my head]). That way, you can honour both your child’s maternal and paternal grandparents or godparents and none will get offended!

I like the idea of two middle names. I think it can sound fantastic.
[name_f]My[/name_f] older sister has one middle name, after my mum. I have don’t have a middle name, because my parents thought my name [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], sounded better by itself. And my younger brother ended up with two middle names! [name_m]Both[/name_m] were family middle names, but the end result was great :slight_smile:
And we all felt pretty special growing up with our names too! I loved having no middle name, I starting reading name books at about 10, and picked a new middle name for myself every week. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister loves having my mum’s name, and my brother thinks it’s awesome to be the only one with two middle names :slight_smile:

I like two middle names. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest son is [name_m]Paul[/name_m] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]

I gave my kids 2 middle names as its is tradition in my family…

[name_f]My[/name_f] son is called- [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] [name_m]Richard[/name_m] and my daughter is called- [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f] [name_f]Arizona[/name_f]

[name_f]My[/name_f] next child if a girl will be named with 2 middles also… I love it!