Tyke

So this name isn’t on here so I was wondering…
Is there anything wrong with the name Tyke?
Besides the fact that most people probably don’t like the name, is there anything politically incorrect about it? Before I go all in loving it I just want to make sure there isn’t anything extremely wrong about naming your kid Tyke.
So your personal feelings about this name aside, what are your thoughts on it?

Anything will be helpful, thanks!

I just have the association with the expression “the little tyke”. I think it just means a small child. So a grown adult with that name might get some teasing for it.

And [name_m]Little[/name_m] Tykes brand.

I don’t think this falls under the category of ‘politically incorrect’, but the primary definition of the word is ‘small child’, usually ‘mischievous child’. Although it’s usually quite an affectionate term, I think it would be a pretty stupid name, to be honest, because one day he would be a grown man. It’s like naming your kid Scamp or Nipper, it’s far too infantilising.

Yeah, to me it’s the same as naming your daughter [name_f]Princess[/name_f] or [name_u]Baby[/name_u]. It’s a term used to refer to a small child and therefore seems a little ridiculous as a name, especially when they are no longer a small child / toddler.

I agree with the previous posters. Not politically incorrect, but if I heard parents call a child that I would probably assume they were calling him a tyke, like a term of endearment, rather than calling his name, and I think it would probably be a strange name on an adult.

What about [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m], [name_m]Teague[/name_m], or [name_f]Tyne[/name_f]?

I just feel he will be referred to as [name_m]LITTLE[/name_m] TYKE his entire life, and I just see it sticking as a joke towards him, one he’d likely hate as an adult, or having bigger brothers.

Yup, it’s a term used for little kids. Have you tried googling it? Sounds like it’s an old derogatory term in the UK.

It’s screams little, cheeky & rough to me. Not something you want to carry through to adulthood.

I agree - not a name you can grow into as an adult. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_u]Tate[/name_u] or just [name_m]Ty[/name_m]?

I think of Tyke meaning mischievous. I don’t think it would be suitable for a child, how about [name_m]Tyde[/name_m]?

[name_m]Tycho[/name_m] is a legitimate name.

I came here to suggest the same name as the previous poster :slight_smile:

[name_m]Tycho[/name_m] is pronounced Tyke-o.

I think Tyke could work as a nickname for a baby [name_m]Tycho[/name_m], and then as he grows older he could mature into [name_m]Tycho[/name_m] (which also offers the great nickname [name_m]Ty[/name_m]).

PS: This is the first result googling “tyke”:
informal
a small child.
“is the little tyke up to his tricks again?”
synonyms: child, toddler, tot, small child, young child; More
CANADIAN
an initiation level of sports competition for young children.
“tyke hockey”
BRITISH dated
an unpleasant or coarse man.

I don’t think the 2nd dated definition rules it out as a nickname, but I think the first (well known) use rules it out as a legal/first name.

Agree with the others - this name is the definition of “doesn’t age well.”

Yes, it is politically incorrect: a tyke is a derogatory term for a Catholic. It is also a term for an unpleasant man, in addition to the more common definition of a tyke being a mischievous child. [name_m]Tide[/name_m], [name_u]Tate[/name_u], [name_m]Ty[/name_m] / [name_u]Tai[/name_u], [name_u]Taj[/name_u] or Tayo would be better bets.