Tyr?

I’ve played with this name off and on for a couple of years. There’s a few reasons I like it, but I don’t [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] it. But then, there are very few boys names I love, and less I would use.
I feel it’s a very strong name, I like the shortness of it and the lack of “N” ending, I’m cool with it not really having nickname potential, (Though I suppose he’d get called [name_m]Ty[/name_m]) but on the other hand, I don’t feel any connection to the God of the same name (I love the rune however), I recognise some people might assume it’s pronounced “Tire” so some correcting would be involved, and that he’d likely always have to spell it… but how much of a pain in the ass would that really be if it’s three letters? :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno. I’d like to get some second opinions. If you met a [name_m]Tyr[/name_m], what would your think?

[name_m]How[/name_m] is it pronounced? I’ve tried googling it but everywhere says something different!

If people pronounce it wrong, you can correct them. Also, as you said, if he has to spell his name to people - it’s only 3 letters. I can imagine it would be a pain if you had a really long name that you always had to spell but it’s no big deal with a really short name. Personally, I wouldn’t let spelling and pronunciation issues put me off a name.

If I met a [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] I would think, wow! What a cool name! It’s very unusual but I think the fact that it is only 3 letters means that it is not too difficult to get used to. It’s a strong and handsome name. But then, I don’t know anything about the God (or the rune) so I don’t know if the God is a good or bad namesake.

Would you spell it using the accent over the y? I think that might make it easier for people to realise the pronunciation is not exactly how it looks.

[name_m]Tyr[/name_m] has been on my list for years too! It’s pronounced ‘teer’ like the tier of a cake or a tear from your eye. I think the popularity of Game of Thrones will help ease pronunciation problems (one of the main characters is [name_m]Tyrion[/name_m])

It’s so abrupt that I’d probably double-barrel it. I like the sound of [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] [name_m]Adam[/name_m], and [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] [name_u]Abbott[/name_u].

I would think, “Oh, your parents gave you a cat’s/dog’s name.” It’s super cutesy, usually used as a middle name in what we call “krúttnöfn”, like cute, childish and insubstantial. There are a few people named Týr, but here in Iceland they are vastly outnumbered by animals. Here, (where we probably even have the highest proportion of people who actually follow this religion) it is the opposite of a strong name. I would consider Þór, Óðinn, Bragi and Baldur to be strong, Týr is just not making it. Perhaps if the parents were actually followers of ”satrú and it had some genuine meaning to them. Otherwise no.

If I met someone who was not Nordic called [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] I would think… hmm, I hope you have some connection to the religion or the Norse culture because I think it’s kind of lame to appropriate other people’s gods because you think it’s cool.*

The god is indeed fairly cool, though, although not many stories about him have survived from the pre-[name_m]Christian[/name_m] era. He was originally a Germanic fertility god I believe, and [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] means Týr’s day. There is a Faroese heavy metal band named after him. According to the most credible theory, the word literally means ‘gods’.

The only story I know about him is when the Æsir were trying to deal with the Fenris wolf. They kept betting him he was not strong enough to break out of chains they had made, and he was always strong enough. Finally they got the dwarfs to make a magical rope using things that people think don’t exist, but are just in the keeping of the dwarfs, like I remember the roots of a mountain, the sound of a cat’s footfall, a woman’s beard. So they bet Fenrir he can’t break this little rope, but he senses that there is something odd going on and demands that one of the Æsir put his hand in his mouth whilst he is bound, as a sign of good faith that they will let him out if he can’t break the rope. Only Týr is brave enough to do it, and when Fenrir can’t break the rope (and of course the Æsir won’t let him out, because it was a trick all along) he bites Týr’s hand off. So he is known as the one-handed god, and by his bravery one of the forces of evil ([name_u]Loki[/name_u] and his children) is bound until they all break loose when [name_m]Ragnar[/name_m]ök comes. I think there is another story where he is basically just Þór’s sidekick fishing for the Midgard serpent, but that might have been [name_u]Loki[/name_u].

• Edit: Just to be clear, I’m almost certain they wouldn’t be offended. Like most minority religions they are pretty easy-going, and a few of their gods’ and goddesses’ names have become quite traditional amongst non-followers. Names including the element Þór always have been, and others became popular during the 20th century. And as I said, names from the Norse religion are popular on animals and I don’t think they get upset about that! So you wouldn’t be upsetting anyone, like I imagine some Christians would get upset if a Muslim named their child Jesus, I just think it’s a bit off.

Is it prn tire or tier?

Kind of neither, but the closest English approximation is tier / tear.

I think the fact that you said in your OP that you’ve been playing with it on and off for years but you don’t truly love it says it all. If over the past couple of years you haven’t at least once fallen hard for [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] I think you should consider that, that love is unlikely to happen and thus you should move on from the name.

[name_f]My[/name_f] personal feelings and thoughts about it really wouldn’t matter in that case.
But… [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] is too short for me. lol. I also think that if you decide to give your child the name of a deity (even one you don’t believe in) you should make sure that you read all the legends and teachings that go along with that god that you can. Really explore who [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] was - I feel that if you decide to name your child after that deity it should be because you like the name and also at least one of that deity’s characteristics - that can be a guide-post for your child. I think this is the best way to honor not only your child but also the culture the name comes from.

If you want a first hand opinion about how someone who still worships [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] might react to you choosing the name, I’d reach out to @Dantea and ask her - I think she’s as good a bench mark as any on the subject here at NB and she always gives great and thoughtful advise.

As it turns out, my name is [name_m]Tyr[/name_m]. And I live in [name_u]America[/name_u]. The name here is almost unheard of, and basically everyone calls me “Tire”. It’s pretty annoying. Added the fact I’m in high school, yeah. However, I’ve never heard of it as an animal name…

Personally, it is too short for my liking, and I think you will always be battling pronunciation issues.

@lexiem made a good point… if you have thought about the name for a long time, but never really loved it, then maybe it just isn’t for you. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t try to force it.

I definitely assumed it was “tire” or even “tur” - wouldn’t have guessed “tier” on my own.

I know someone with a young grandson named [name_m]Bryck[/name_m], and since I’ve only ever seen her write it online, I’m not sure if it’s a yooneek spelling of [name_m]Brick[/name_m], or if the kid’s name is actually pronounced with a long I sound like “Br-eye-ck” or what. So when I saw [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] here, that was my first association.

[name_m]Tyr[/name_m] is the 3-letter abbreviation of the amino acid tyrosine… So that’s what I think of. It just looks unfinished to me.

I would naturally pronounce [name_m]Tyr[/name_m] as being pronounced almost like “tar” or like a really lazy Southern drawl of tire, though “teer” is an intuitive enough pronunciation that I could be easily corrected. Having never watched GoT, only read the books, I thought the name was “TIE-ree-ohn” but I think most people are familiar with the show.